Which internet anonymizer program do you use?

Discussion in 'polls' started by WSFuser, Aug 17, 2005.

?

Which internet anonymizer program do you use?

1. Anonymous Surfing / Total Net Shield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ghostsurf

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Tor

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. JAP

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. None

25 vote(s)
    65.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Which anonymizer do you use, if any at all?

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

When I do use one it`s Hideip. That works best for me on my machine, although I haven`t used in the last couple of months.

3. rawr

rawr Registered Member

I don't personally use any internet anonymizer but I'm looking into Steganos Internet Anonym and PeerGuardian right now.

4. WSFuser

u can actually use both of them as peerguardian is an ip blocker, not an anonymizer.

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Been there done that....

Frankly, i hated it.....

Slowed down my internet access too much.

IMHO, it wasn't worth the annoyance.

snowbound

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Same experience here. Much too slow.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Tor is quite fast (8-10KB/second typically) but yes, there is a choice that has to be made between speed/convenience and privacy....

8. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I use a combo of tor with Proxo and privoxy.

9. toploader

toploader Registered Member

if they ever get any good i might use one

anyone tried this one?

10. WSFuser

i actually tried it once, but id rather have proxomitron' security than the privacy of an anonymizer. JAP + Proxomitron is just one too many proxies for me.

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Since Proxomitron (and Privoxy for that matter) are local proxies, running on your machine, they should have no impact on network performance (assuming you have enough memory and CPU - not that Proxomitron normally needs that much). Both Proxomitron/Privoxy and JAP/Tor contribute to security and privacy in different ways so they should complement each other well.

12. WSFuser

i know they do different things but im concerbed that an anonimizer would have a great network performance impact, however, i will give JAP or Tor (since u said it can be fast) another try as soon as i fix a few internet issues im having.

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I don't use any at all.

However I did use Proxomitron some time ago. But for some reason it slowed down my web surfing speeds to much. I gave up on it after a few months. I will say however that I am not an html, js, etc type person, so it was not the easiest app to learn for me from that perspective.

14. WSFuser

neither am i, but i dont make my own filters neways. i found grypens filters to work well and i just add various sites (especially forums) to teh bypass list.

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LOL @ None graphic bar, here is one None more.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i am using JAP right now, i haven't speed tested it, but i think tonight it seems faster then without it. maybe i should complain to my ISP :mad: :D it really is very quick

17. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I used free proxy, no need to pay to surf. I did like GhostSurf, and one other one not listed on the poll.

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

How good is ghostsurf pro ? How does that compare to my current admuncher + cookie crusher combination? I am trying to find a replacement, so I can use just one product for privacy, ad blocking, annonymousy etc. Anyways I have seen cookie crusher use a lot of resources on my computer, maybe up there in the high 30 MB's, which is rediculous. Admuncher uses around 8 MB. That is a total of around 40 MB or more these two programs are using. Any idea on how many MB Ghostsurf uses? Someone stated 527 MB's , but that has to be way off.

dja2k

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

dja2k,

1. Cookies
    I use MSIE only for safe websites, but some of them install tracking cookies on my harddisk.
    I used so many cookie softwares in the past until I found CCleaner, which allows me to keep the cookies
    I really need and the rest will be removed automatically during reboot or on demand.

I use Firefox for searching and surfing and I told Firefox not to install any cookies, because I don't need them.
    And that was the end of all my problems with cookies.

2. Advertising popup windows
    Since I installed the extension Adblock on Firefox, I never saw an advertising popup window again during my wild surfings.
    And that was the end of all my problems with advertising popup windows.

It's sometimes amazing how simple softwares can solve one of your problems in a very efficient way.
    I had that experience only three times : CCleaner, Firefox and Thunderbird.

3. I don't use any internet anonymizer yet, but I'm very sure that other members will tell you all about it. :)

20. justpassing

justpassing Guest

Why respond then if you have nothing to say? The stuff I snipped is not relevant to the discussion btw.

21. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I use both Tor and JAP. Sometimes I feel like using Tor other time I feel like using JAP. Most of the time though I surf without.

22. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

Using TOR - works well enough for typical surfing @ work (email, blogs, etc.).

It does slow things down a bit - use IE w/o TOR for legit work related stuff - but nice to have some level of cover from "The Man." TOR releases updates pretty regularly and it keeps getting a litte faster and more stable all the time. Its pretty good these days if you don't need super high bandwidth.

23. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Browsing speed was cut down considerably and I don't use JAP very much anymore. TOR was slow also.

24. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Can anyone help more by answering what you can from post #18. Also I heard that Ghostsurf leaves bad trails when uninstalled, anyone found a way to aviod that just incase you just want to trial Ghostsurf and then remove it? Can the ananymous blocker in Ghostsurf be turned of independently from all the other options like the Cookie Blocker, SpyCatcher, Ad & Pop Up Blocking, etc?

Thanks
    dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.