Which imaging solution do you reccomend?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Nikolaj, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolaj

Nikolaj Registered Member

Hello

This is my first post so sorry if I am missing something…

Here is the situation:

We have some amount of servers in data center, and also a backup system which is managed to copy files from servers to tapes regularly (mostly by night). As the size of copied data grows, the backup window reduces, and now the situation is almost critical. It is needed to reduce backup time and extend backup window.

I had a following idea:

- To establish (which?) disk-imaging system, with additional disks/partitions if necessary…

- On servers which files are copied, to make a (hot) image file of referenced partition, and put them on “new” partition

- To change a backup specification (backup software shall copy images from “new” partition to tapes instead of copying many small files one-by-one)

In case of restoring files from backup, procedure would be reversed: copying image file from tape to new partition, and then restoring partition from image file locally.

I am sure in this way would be greatly shorted a backup time. So, I am seeking for imaging software, which is able to:

- Make live (hot) image of hard disk/partition of its own server (make image of system disk of server which this software is running on), and put that image on the other local disk (“new” partition or disk) on same server (standalone software).

- OR -

- Agent – based software, able to make live (hot) image of hard disk/partition of client server and put that image also on same client, on the other local disk (“new” partition or disk), without bulk data transit through the server .

- Also, in any combination software must be able to deal witg GPT disks

I suppose I was clear. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

First of,In case of company security related issues such as imaging and backup,Wilders is not a place where you get much knowledge from,its mainly orientated at the home user end.A better place to ask is at vendors site like Acronis,Storagecraft and the like. I would recommend :http://forum.storagecraft.com/Community/ .

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would contact paragon software
    the company is a real gem.
    see what deal they can offer you.

4. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I'm a very happy user of Norton Ghost and their enterprise products (Symantec Ghost Solution suite) sounds like exactly what you mguth want. Add it to your list of products to investigate.

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Agree.

In any case this same topic occurs almost on a daily basis.

Do a Forum search.

To expect a comprehensive answer to these questions is asking too much.

You should request an expert to visit your workplace to do a survey and report-this may cost.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. Nikolaj

Nikolaj Registered Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.