Which imaging solution do you reccomend?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Nikolaj, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikolaj

Nikolaj Registered Member

Hello

This is my first post so sorry if I am missing something…

Here is the situation:

We have some amount of servers in data center, and also a backup system which is managed to copy files from servers to tapes regularly (mostly by night). As the size of copied data grows, the backup window reduces, and now the situation is almost critical. It is needed to reduce backup time and extend backup window.

I had a following idea:

- To establish (your?) disk-imaging system, with additional disks/partitions if necessary…

- On servers which files are copied, to make a (hot) image file of referenced partition, and put them on “new” partition

- To change a backup specification (backup software shall copy images from “new” partition to tapes instead of copying many small files one-by-one)

In case of restoring files from backup, procedure would been reverse: copying image file from tape to new partition, and then restoring partition from image file locally.

I am assured that in this way would been greatly shorted a backup time. So, I am seeking for imaging software, which is able to:

- Make live (hot) image of hard disk/partition of its own server (make image of server which this software is running on), and put that image on the other local disk (“new” partition or disk) on same server (standalone software).

- OR -

- Agent – based software, able to make live (hot) image of hard disk/partition of client server and put that image also on same client, on the other local disk (“new” partition or disk), without bulk data transit through the server .

I suppose I was clear. Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Nikolaj,

So as not to have duplicate discussions, We'll close this thread and continue in the one you placed in our software & services forum.

this one---> Which imaging solution do you reccomend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.