Which Free Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by shamsay, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Jarmo. I might take a look at PG myself.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

It seems some of us are using similar programs together.
    Along with Kerio 2.1.5, I am also running the full version of Process Guard.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

What AV or other likely conflict with PG are you running?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

5. ESQ_ERRANT

ESQ_ERRANT Registered Member

FIRST, A PREFACE AND QUALIFICATION TO FURTHER COMMENT

I am not a computer technician, computer programmer or computer engineer by training and/or experience and do not profess to be knowledgeable about intricate technical aspects of computer hardware and software technology. I am a licensed attorney who happens to use a computer and various hardware and software as tools of my professional solo practice. The comments set forth below are drawn from my own personal experience of a given product and, often, as well, from written material descriptions of a product that I have come across in the course of my investigation of a particular product that I am currently using or have previously used -- the truth of which appear to be borne out through my personal use of that product. As I write this, my main workstation, which operates essentially as a server, has a Windows XP Pro (SP 2) OS, running on a 2.05 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 processor, with 512 megabytes of ram. I use two hard drives that run in mirror tandem one of which, at present, has 300 gigabytes of usable hard drive capacity and the second of which has 260+ gigabytes of usable hard drive capacity. I assume, rightly or wrongly, that this workstation is fairly typical of the vast majority presently operating in the U.S., and I find my present setup adequate for my basic word processing needs.

REMARKS

I have tried several free and shareware versions of various firewalls. A freeware firewall that I have recently installed and which I have found to be to my liking and which offers very good inbound and outbound protection is called "Jetico." You can download it through the following link: http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm.

Leak test results place it at the top, as one of the best. Moreover, I have not found it to create compatibility problems for me -- something I cannot say with several other firewalls that are not free, that I have tried in recent months. One, in particular, "Tiny," locked up my system. I couldn't get to my desktop on bootup and had to take my computer in for servicing.

Jetico does require some configuration, and I suggest that you read the help section before using it. Note: there is a Jetico beta version available at the same site. I would be careful about downloading that one. And, if you do decide to use it, you must uninstall the free non-beta version one first if, perchance, you happen to download the free non-beta version and decide, later, to try Jetico's beta product.

I have learned, the beta version will, eventually, evolve into a shareware version. Whether Jetico will, then, still provide a free version, I do not know.

6. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey Jarmo and q1aqza, what do both of think about using ZA Free 4.5.594 with PG Free? I use SKPF 4.2.3 now, and although I'm not having any troubles with it I like the idea of using ZA Free with PG Free. I wonder though, how much RAM is ZA Free using in your task manager q1aqza, and what version of PG Free are you using Jarmo P, and how much RAM does it use? Kerio is at this moment only running around 9MB, but can go up to 14MB on my PC. I also agree that PG Free may be a better alternative than using Kerio Application Behavior Blocking. Take care.

7. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 is a great firewall and I'd love to run it but I have PerfectDisk 7 (the latest version with all updates, etc.). If you run PerfectDisk, with Kerio 2.1.5 installed (even if you exit the program and stop the services), there is a very good chance you will get a BSOD.

Best bet is to test it yourself (after making an image/backup).

8. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Word is that the new version of Comodo adressed and lowers memory usage considerably, and the beta is already out (I believe). Supposedly the "official version" is targeted to be released on or around August 24th.....

9. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

PG 3.410 free uses in XP home limited user account:
    pgaccount.exe 3 MB
    DCSUserProt.exe 2.8 MB

It has no GUI in limited user account, but popups work. With admin user account you have also
    procguard.exe 5.9 MB (it is GUI I think and can be shut down)

Zero CPU usage, both kerio 2.1.5 and PG are shown in processes (AMD Athlon 2400, 512 MB ram).

So with kerio 2.1.5 + PG with GUI less than 18 MB max total and without the unneeded PG GUI 11.3 MB with both user accounts.

I am almost sure you have not all Kerio 4's processes added in that figure you gave. It uses at least 20 MB I think normally from my previous experience. Don't remember all the file names you should sum up in Task Manager, but you look in the sunbelt kerio castlecops forum.

EDIT
    From google: http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2006/07/whole-lot-of-firewall-info.html :

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  10. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

My enitre setup consists of :
    KAV6
    Kerio 2.1.5
    PG
    BOClean

No problems, no conflicts, no slowdowns on my computer :thumb:

11. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

ZA 4.5.594 Free uses pretty much the same as the Pro version on my system. Usually around 4MB for ZCLIENT and approx 6 MB for VSMON. Sometime it creep up a little and sometimes it creeps down a little but on average the total is around 10MB.

Obviously PG Free will help bridge the gap between ZA Pro and ZA free version, but I think you might be better off using the free version of SSM instead of PG Free. I've not used it much myself but I believe the free version of SSM provides comparable protection and features to the paid version of PG

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Jerry

13. duke1959

Thanks to both you guys. I really have to stop worrying about Firewalls soon, but I just like trying different software. I finally settled on Antivir as my Antivirus, and now although I like SKPF 4.2.3. For some reaon the combination of PG Free (or SSM Free in the future) with ZA Free seems more to my liking. I have tried SSM Free but it would only work on my account, and not my wife's. I will post to that forum to ask when it will. As far as ZA Free, I have been a little afraid of trying it because of all the troubles posted in Zone Alarm Labs Forum. I believe however, this is due to upgrades and reinstallations than it is due to new installations. Alright Jarmo P and q1aqza, I think this may be the way to go. Especially as Jarmo P pionted out, that I would also get the termination protection with PG Free as well. OH by the way Jarmo P, is the latest version of PG Free even better than the old one? thanks again to both of you, it is appreciated.

14. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

You really should stop I think?
    Changing firewalls or antiviruses I consider a hazard thing. As Jerry told, staying with a working firewall is a good procedure. No need to update when it is not broken.

Because of that I have never tried ZA, although it might be a good firewall. Bad reviews lately, but not sure if they are only cause it is Israel based and some antipathy from some users ? Liking to post bad experiences when it works well with most users.

Duke, PG is a relative newcomer on my PC. So I think the version I run is the latest. Also, I think it is not a run and forget program. I think next security updates from Microsoft, I need to disable execution protection from process guard before installing them. Maybe not needed from free PG, but one has to be always carefull.

EDIT:
    I am only a one year older than you, being 48 :p

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Off topic posts removed

16. duke1959

I hear you Jarmo P. I will stop, and finish writing my book before you and I both are too old to write anymore. (LOLO) I will stick with SKPF 4.2.3 until the final release of the latest Comodo Firewall comes out, and then will most likely be satisfied. Besides, the whole ZA installation and uninstallation problems I've read about scares me anyway. I do like Kerio though, and I believe all of the Application Behavior Blocking pop ups are finished now. I also liked PG Free when I used it awhile back, but I think the full version that you use would be the way to go if I decided to try it again. So thanks for all your help, and let me know if my posts are getting just a little bit easier to understand. (LOLO) I have certainly had enough practice writing them over the last three weeks. (LOLO)

17. huldu

huldu Registered Member

I just reinstalled windows xp sp2 ran my usual setup. Stripped down with only mirc and netmeter running i was down at 120mb. I installed ZoneAlarm (the security suite) and now im at ~220mb. Beside the insane memory useage, its hard to find a low memory using firewall (beside windows built-in).

Sure nowadays memory isnt that much of a problem, unless you have =<512mb ram. I only have 512mb ram and every ram i stuff away is a good. Ive yet to download and run a virus infected file or trojan (without knowing what it was) for a long time. If i download a suspicous file i always check it at http://virusscan.jotti.org/.

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Comodo beta is worth a look for low resouce usage.
    Or wait until it becomes a full release.

19. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

2.3 is now out!!!!

It beats every firewall out there even outpost cause comodo it nicer lookin and less intrusive with alerts!

20. justin1278

justin1278 Registered Member

I would recommend Comodo 2.3.4.45 it was just released Friday September 1st, it has great support, and it is free, this is a full free product, not shareware. Also they have a user forum as well.

www.forums.comodo.com

21. comicfan2000

comicfan2000 Registered Member

Hi, I am new here as I have been trying to get into security discussion etc...and plan on majoring in it. I have been using Comodo firewall for a few months now and it seems to be great. I gave up on ZA, wouldn't even allow my DSL to connect and I feel it's over bloated. I haven't tried Jetico so I can't give an honest opinion to functionality, from what I read it's harder to configure and the UI isn't what many would like but it is free but I would always try it first. Kerio was a smooth runner but didn't seem to do what I wanted. Haven't used Kapersky either. So that said, my personal choice is Comodo, they just arrived with a new version today, it's been running great, the UI is for easy to advanced and you have to give your email but don't many of them? I like it a lot and it's passed every leak and firewall test. It's free for life. I used ZA for 6 years, and they used to be good but now I feel it's an overblown Norton like firewall. This is just my opinion though and as with all opinions, take it lightly and make your choice when you try them out.

Cheers,

Paul

22. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Sorry.... But not true read the results on Firewall Leak Tester.
    Jetico gets GOLD. 85,2%
    Comodo in 9th place.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php

23. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

This is a very old test if you have a look at the versions which have been tested, and for sure does not reflect the actual quality of the tested firewalls; but Jetico2 will be even more better then v1 as also Comodos new version.

Perhaps this test will some day be updated.

24. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Tommy is right and firewall leak tester hasnt been updated in a while. Their version number tested of comodo was 1.1 and that had to be worse then filseclab then but since 2.2 it could block the same tests as looknstop and za pro and maybe even more now 2.3 has been released so keep checking to see when they update.

25. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Comodo is the best free firewall and perhaps the best among the paid one also. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.