which firewalls use these 2 services?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by coldplay, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

which firewalls use these 2 services?

Terminal Services
    Fast User Switching Compatibility

I am going to disable them if I don't use those firewalls that use them.

thank you in advance

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have those Services disable on my two machine and did not experience any problem so far. Been using Kerio, LNS, Comodo and now KIS 6.0.:)

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Those are both MS services. Have 2 XP boxes each with 2 different vers. of ZA Pro installed. Have them disabled as well with no problems.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi. :)

Yes, these are MS services, I just don't understand the inital question. Why would a third-party firewall use a Windows service? It uses its own service, AFAIK... :)

5. coldplay

some of firewalls use these services from what I've heard.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Which one?

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Again, AFAIK, the only one I know that hugs so friendly with MS is CHX-I. Through MMC... but not through 'terminal' and certainly not through 'FUS'...
    coldplay, if you are the only user (and if you are not), disable FUS. If you don't have home network, disable 'terminal'. But, this is what Black Viper says about terminal:

I don't know whether he means AV or suite.

Cheers.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Some firewalls are compatible with "fast user switching", but they do not depend on that service to function. From posts of problems related to "Fast user switching" I personally think it should not be used in a lot of setups.

"Terminal Services" This is really only needed for such as "remote desktop" for remote Assistance, certainly not needed for a firewall function (disabling this, will in fact stop "fast user switching", as it is a dependancy_ (fast user switching requires terminal services to be active))

So yes, you can disable both, with whatever firewall you have installed.

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

At the risk of being OT, my apologies to the OP and their original question. I am on a multi-PC LAN with file and printer sharing enabled. All but one PC is XP with Terminal Service disabled, no problems.

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

This service is of no much use in home networking, when you are aware what is going on at the moment. Howerever, in large networks with several accounts on workstations, it gives administrator an insight in interconectivity (who is logged on which workstation).

11. coldplay

thank you very much, you guys being helpful as always.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I personally do not think you are OT, there is always a need to check and then re-check before any windows service is disabled. A number of windows services do have "dependencies" (If that service is disabled, then the dependencies will not function), and can cause problems.

Posts/info as yours, which show (as from my own tests/configs) that disabling certain services do not affect the running of the PC (they only disable certain, possibly un-needed options/functions,.. such as in the case of "terminal service" the ability of "remote desktop"(for basic).

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I tried disabling Terminal Services awhile back and when I rebooted, Comodo had a pop up that said (Cannot communicate with Windows Terminal Service. Fast User Switching is disabled.) I don't use FUS but it is set to manual, I think that's default. I also re enabled Terminal Services because of the pop up. Has anyone else had this problem. Will I see the pop up every boot if disable TS again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.