Which Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by whitedragon551, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entropism

entropism Registered Member

What do you mean, PC Tools did nothing? It's working fine on my system, which is also Win 7 x64 (Pro, retail).

Honestly, I think you might be infected. Something seems to be seriously wrong with your system.

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Its impossible to be infected. Its a brand new image of Windows 7 x64. Installed yesterday.

3. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I have heard of malware that survive a disk wipe but I didnt investigate it.

4. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

OT: Are we talking here about some stealth MBR rootkit which low-level writes at some sectors in hard disk on which usual formatting wouldn't wipe or another banana?
    Care to give some links? I'm interested to learn more about this.

5. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I am going to assume the first. I only saw the thread title but didnt have time to investigate it. I think a search of wilders might get you the thread in question.

6. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

If it's the first, no need for me to bother searching.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am aware that many/most here do not use the Windows XP firewall because they want outbound protection.

I am curious to know how many have needed an outbound firewall? I use IS applications now, but there has never been any malware that has attempted to connect to the internet. Of course I have never had an infection.

So I wonder it there is a real need for outbound protection or whether it is just another "layer" that most want? Who has caught an infection through outbound firewall protection?

Regards,
    Jerry

8. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I had a program in my temp files that tried to access outbound one time. My av didn't pick it up. I uploaded it to jottis and about all of the av's reported it as a trojan. I can't remember what av I was using at the time. I killed it and deleted it.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I was just wondering about the risk.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. whitedragon551

Take your thread jacking else were. Kthxbai.

11. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

OK I used all firewalls . Tried and many of them are somewhere rather heavy or obtrusive with pop-ups etc etc.

In the end after long testing Outpost is just the best.And it's light for me with 6,632 k.

Plus it came out as one of the toppers at the Matousec testing. Even the free one . ( I am using the PRO version) . And using it with Nod32 V4 .

I really had problems with each firewall in some way or another. Outpost seems to be bug free for me.

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

for me its the same, i just prefer to not use a firewall on my desktop.

13. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I really need to cause there are several people on the same network. Amd I have a laptop which I move around.

Anyway Outpost rocks. And feel rather secure with it.

14. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

On this system Comodo seems to run light as can be, never seemed to have a problem with it being Heavy. o_O

This is also on Windows 7 RTM and has been running now on this system for the last month. :cool:

(Screen Shot REMOVED) Refer to the one below as it better explains what I was trying to say.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
  15. firzen771

lol at using memory consumption as a way of showing how light it is, maybe that wuld matter if u had a 256mb RAM computer...

16. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

The last computer I had that had 256 megs of ram in it was in the late 90's. If you honestly want corporations to make programs to run on computers from 10+ years ago your dreaming. Coming in here and saying they are to heavy because your lack of hardware is just stupid. If your complaining about 2 megs of memory being used (Screen shot above) then my friend the problem is yours not the software. :rolleyes:

Just a FYI. I have a OLD P120 Laptop with 32 megs of ram that runs Avira, and a old version of Comodo Just fine. Even on that old beast it still works about as well as can be expected. Running Windows 2k no less. :blink:

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Outpost version 1 alerted me to advapi.exe (netdevil) trying to connect out ,many many years ago.AVG which was my av at that time didnt detect it.
    ellison

18. firzen771

i dont understand, are u saying that I said it was too heavy? ur wording is somewhat confusing. im pointing out that YOU are saying its running light by showing a simple screenshot of RAM usage...

19. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I think I miss understood your last Post and sorry if I did. The whole point of the screen shot was to show how much CPU time used and how much ram were being used and allocated On Windows 7, as a few post about Windows 7 and it being heavy. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :cool:

Edit.
    Ok here is the screen shot that better shows what I'm talking about, Notice the CPU usage ram usage and any other relevant info. :D

Not bad means this computer normally has World of Warcraft running in 2-3 different windows and Utorrent (P2P) Running in the background still Comodo stays pretty light even with all that traffic.

(CFP.EXE) is the file to look at for those that don't know.
    2nd.jpg

20. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Your screenshot is invalid.
    For those that don't know, in addition to (CFP.EXE), where is the file (cmdagent.exe)? :rolleyes:

21. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Screenshot works fine, It pulls up on all 5 of my computers so I don't know what your saying. :rolleyes:

Jee golly its clicked. :cautious:
    27 hours of continuous use and OMG its still low How can that be. :rolleyes:
    4th.jpg

22. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Yes, you are correct; you don't know what I am saying.

In a prior post you mentioned that Comodo used 2 Megs of memory, and in the previous screenshot, cmdagent.exe (a necessary component of CIS), is not listed.
    That screenshot was therefore invalid, since it makes it impossible to determine how much total resources CIS consumes.

However, your most recent screenshot is valid, as it clearly shows resource usage information for both components.

23. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

A firewall generates events that occurs, these should be in a log ..

which is better, writing it straight to a file and getting it out of memory, or keeping in memory.

Maybe you can reduce memory as well by keeping more information in the kernel memory via the driver, that way it makes that app look like smaller memory.

Maybe you can look at keep memory low by keep paging out the memory so you only have a small foot print, but high cache misses.

Low memory size used could actually be more of a problem then a benifit. If it stores less and has to compute more then are you saving memory to do more CPU processing ..

24. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! I've been using Outpost Free and it's superb. Very unobtrusive and it's layout is very clean and easy too navigate. I'm using it along side Prevx 3.0 and Vipre. All run without any confliction and are light and quick. Sincerely...Securon

25. whitedragon551

I tried Outpost. It took awhile to bootup for some reason. Right now my current setup is Avira Antivir Premium and PC Tools Firewall. PC Tools seems to lag a bit at startup like most of their other software, notably Spyware Doctor. However I have yet to find one that started almost instantly like Rising Firewall while having a nice stream lined interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.