Which Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dregg Heda, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Im looking for a good firewall for Vista32. I'm thinking of getting something like Online Armor or a Firewall without HIPS + DefenseWall... any suggestions on whats good out there? Im not averse to running OA with the HIPS disabled + DefenseWall or any other firewall with DefenseWall in a similar manner. Just give me a rundown of the options open to me. Thanks.

PS: anyone know when NOD32 v4 will be out? Whats its RAM usage like currently.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I decided to stay with ZoneAlarm AV; however, this thread documents the others I was looking into, along with the suggestions of others.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like Comodo and PC Tools firewall.

Regarding memory usage on NOD32 4beta , it was about 40+ meg(just the AV, not suite) for me. Not as light as I would have hoped.

4. sded

sded Registered Member

I am using Online Armor with both Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium and am very happy with it. Initial release has a few small issues that are due to be fixed in a service release shortly. But to select a firewall, you should download the free trial copy and see if it suitable for the way you use your system. And be very careful about uninstalling one before trying another. Most all of them have both fans and anti-fans. ;)

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

It depends: if you like, as I like, to have an HIPS indipendent and different from the fw/av, take DW or another HIPS and Online Armor fw disabling his HIPS. If you haven't this requirement feel sure with Online Armor fw+HIPS.

6. guest

guest Guest

I like outpost firewall is one of the best

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

why dont you try online armor or outpost pro firewall :p

8. Dregg Heda

DW seems to be having problems with its skin and I was wondering if you guys could suggest some other HIPs I could try out.

9. Dregg Heda

Yea I had trouble running v3 on one of my systems as it consumed a similar amount of RAM.

10. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

Comodo Internet Security FW + Defense+ (with AV *not* installed) uses a tiny amount of RAM on XP and Vista.
    It's actually lighter now than it's ever been.
    The best in my opinion.

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have tried a few different ones on Vista Home Premium. I have a high speed modem with built in firewall on my desk top. But I have used the built in firewall in Vista, the firewall in KIS (Kaspersky), Sunbelt's firewall, Comodo, ZoneAlarm Pro from the giveaway a short while back and PC Tools.

I have always went back to PC Tools.

On my laptop I have Vista Basic and ZoneAlarm Pro. But I have a feeling I will be going back to PC Tools on it as well.

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yep PC Tools FW has always been great for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.