which Firewall with Avast free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Antarctica, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

It does run full strength since yesterday and there seems to be no problems according to my wife, but to be honest she is not very computer savvy, so I am not sure she would notice any difference.:p

2. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Anyone tried CIS6 beta with just firewall with avast! yet ?
    Should perform well i think.

3. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

You don't need CIS. All you need to do is download Comodo stand alone firewall. But his wife is a noob so it's out if the question.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Comodo does not have a standalone firewall as such it comes down with D+ too .
    Avast was causing issues with some firewalls and im not certain if the issue has been corrected in v6.:argh:

5. Aventador

6. The Red Moon

no you are incorrect lol.
    A firewall on its own as a singular module does not exist,it comes with the comodo hips.:argh:

7. Aventador

Whatever. A bit of history my boy................Comodo has always had HIPS. Back when I started using it with version 2.4. But when people download CIS and use a custom install with the av is rather absurd.

8. The Red Moon

ok ive tried the firewall on its own and it always included the D+ with it.
    If there is a standalone firewall on its own then i apologise to you but i have never seen the firewall completely on its own as a download.:doubt:

There are issues with the avast web shield which you no doubt are aware of.
    Hopefully these issues are corrected somehow.:cautious:

9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

this is corrected and hips is standard disabled on version 6 as it uses the new behaviour blocker.
    anyway this is going off topic so apologies to the op :)

10. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Disabled, but I bet the module is still there. The drivers and whatnot all still there, in case you ever want to enable it again. As a result the footprint of the product isn't as light as it otherwise could be, and you can just feel the difference.

It's good to hear that problem with the Web Shield has been corrected. Because it was the worst type of conflict... an invisible one. There were no signs, no slowdowns, no system instability. As a result people were completely oblivious to the fact that Avasts web proxy was burrowing a hole right through their firewall.

I'd rather just get a BSOD and get it over with... at least then you know to uninstall the software.

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Does CIS6 close that hole on *both* Windows7 and Windows8? That it would on Windows8 was expected. At one point it seemed to be up in the air as to whether it would on Windows7.

12. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

I AGREE- with win7 all you need is Windows 7 firewall and if you are really anal like me :p get a router and you will be doubly protected. Most routers have built in Hardwire firewalls so now you will protected both ways.
    robin

13. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

As for combination with Avast I would use if not Comodo firewall then PrivateFirewall - it has hips.

14. The Red Moon

The problem between the avast web shield and the comodo firewall exists with privatefirewall also.
    The only free firewall that does not seem to be affected is online armor.:shifty:

15. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Really, how could I forget about the Online Armor!

16. The Red Moon

Unfortunately Emsisoft do not appear to have fixed the issue between online armor and sandboxie.:'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.