which Firewall with Avast free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Antarctica, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I would like to install Avast free on my wife laptop, which Firewall would be best to run alongside?
    Thanks for suggestions.

2. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Mabye Emisoft online Armor?

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

We definitely need more info. here to make a solid recommendation. Such as:

1) What OS?

2) How savvy an end user is your wife? Could she handle an outbound FW, and know how to handle the popups/set rules? And/or, would she want to be bothered doing so? If the answer to either are "no", then I'd simply turn the integrated Windows FW on and check the box to block all connections. And if on Vista/7, disable outbound control. And if you don't already have one, buy the lady a NAT router.

3) Do you plan on using the Web Shield in Avast? If so, I don't recommend any firewall with outbound control, as there's a known conflict. So if you're going to use an outbound FW, axe the Web Shield. But if you're going to be using an inbound only FW, it can stay.

4. Antarctica

Hi Luciddream,
    Thanks for your answer, it's appreciate.

1. OS is Wndows 7-64bits

2. To be honest, I don't think she could handle/or set rules.

3. Yes I was thinking using the Web shield.

What about LnS? I have a lifetime licence that I am not using myself right now..

5. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

You are perfectly fine with Windows 7 firewall. No need for a 3rd party firewall with Windows 7. Are you behind a NAT? If so then again your perfectly fine. I ran Avast 7 Free for a year with just Windows firewall. Works great. Just turn up all of Avasts shields to high.

6. luciddream

With that info. the choice becomes pretty clear IMO... go with the integrated Win7 FW. Excellent inbound protection, and it won't conflict with those other shields in Avast. Disable the outbound control.

FWIW, I would still only install the File Shield though. The rest is really just unnecessary bloat. The File Shield is the real guts of the program.

And what's more, on a 64-bit OS I'd probably just go with MSE. Due to the way 64-bit OS's impede kernel hooking, I'd trust that a 1'st party solution made by the same people that designed the OS knew best how to adapt to that situation. You may not be getting the protection you "think" you're getting from other AV's because of this. They may detect the malware, but be unable to adequately stop/remove it.

Food for thought... the choice is yours. But regardless of your choice of AV's, I'd go with the Win FW and block all inbound. And a NAT router is IMO the single most important thing in a security setup.

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Lucid my friend I'm going to have to disagree with you. The web shield and network shield in my opinion block more malware. In just about every informal test most malware was blocked by the web shield followed by the network shield. I do agree that some of the other things are unnecessary. The Behavior shield almost never chimes in.
    I also agree that the Win7 firewall along with a NAT router should be enough for most people.

8. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I have used Private Firewall perfectly happily alongside Avast! free, on my Acer 64 bit W7 laptop.

9. Aventador

Leave all the shields on. If you use web mail then do a custom install and do not install that. More shields does not make Avast any heavier just as less shields does not make it lighter. Avast is the best free av out there. I agree with kjdemuth.

10. kjdemuth

Wow. I think that's the first time we've ever agreed one something. ;)

11. Antarctica

O.K. I finally installed Avast free with the integrated Win 7 firewall. She is behind a NAT router anyway, so that should be enough.
    Thanks for all suggestions.:)

12. kjdemuth

You won't be sorry about that decision. Avast free is great for non technical people (like my wife). It should keep her out of trouble. The only other thing I would recommend is a good DNS like Norton or even K9 web filter. I like K9 web filter because it does a great job with malware links and also blocks a lot of AD's. I also have it set up for parental things just in care she leaves it logged on and one of the boy's starts "looking" things up. ;)

13. Aventador

Turn all Avast's Shields to high. You will not get any false positives either. Then go into settings and mute the voice over. It can rather annoying.

14. Aventador

K-9 is not necessary and can be very overwhelming for the average user. K-9 is first and foremost a parental control. It also runs a process. As far as ad blocking that is accomplished by using either Firefox or Chrome with Ad Block Plus.

15. Antarctica

I have Chrome with Ad Block Plus installed on her Laptop, so I guess that should more than enough for what she is using her computer.:D

16. kjdemuth

K9 isn't at all overwhelming. It's very simple to use. I also have Ad block plus and it doesn't get all the banner ad's sometimes. K9 isn't just a parental control. That's what a lot of folks use it for but that isn't its only or useful option. It's actually a web filter. It's a very good web filter against malware and phishing sites. Yeah it uses one process and that runs around 3-4 MB. Not that bad for something that's going to keep you safe. I have a 7 year old inspiron E1505 w/ 2 gb of Ram and it runs smooth as silk with everything I have running. 4 MB is the least of my worries. That and I'm sure Antarctica is more than capable on setting it up and teaching his wife how to operate it.

17. Aventador

With all do respect kjdemuth anyone who visits the K-9 website will see a picture of a family and a statement saying "Protect your children". As far as ad blocking Easylist and or Fanboys list cover everything. I never see any ads. I do remember years ago that ad blocker were told they could not block certain things. Such as I do know Yahoo's main page is sometimes not filtered. But ABP will block 99.9% of ads.

18. Aventador

That is pretty much a bullet proof system. Back it up with a weekly image and your all set.

19. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

how often is the malware domain list updated in adblock plus? also, does it get its list from some site in particular, (such as mdl) or from a number of different sources?

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I kind of like the voice over.

22. Aventador

Lol.............It has scared the crap out of some clients when they leave there volume cranked up. :D

23. kjdemuth

I understand what it says but you kind of have to think out of the box. I felt the same way when I started to look into it. I thought it just was a parental software. It wasn't until someone had mentioned that it was a great web filter for malware/phishing. It also enforces HTTPS protocol if a website uses. I was just offering it as extra layer of security.

24. luciddream

It is your right, old friend. But if that Web Shield isn't there, the File Shield blocks it anyway. At a later entry point, granted (a few milliseconds later). I don't see the point of the rest of the shields. And I've yet to meet real-time monitoring/scanning that doesn't have a noticeable impact on a box, even if slight. I guarantee you, I'd notice it. Probably because I've been real-time AV free for so long, while you're used to running one.

Also I wouldn't trust anything other than a native written 64-bit, integrated/1'st party app to do this job on a 64-bit OS, for reasons. And I know a lot of people far better versed in internet security than I that agree wholeheartedly, for the reason I stated.

But to each his/her own setup. There really was no bad advice here (rare for a thread). Since the OP is using a FW with no outbound control, no fear of those shields causing conflict.

25. kjdemuth

You're right about noticing the impact. I was AV free for a while and liked it a lot. When I started to test Avast when version 7 came out, I noticed a lag during web browsing with the web shield running. I don't have the 64bit issue because I'm still rocking Win7 32 bit. Once I do actually get a new laptop then I would consider strictly running 64bit apps.
    The only other advice I would give the op is to run it full strength and see how it fares. If there are any conflicts or noticeable slow downs, they could always disable the shields.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.