which firewall should I use

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ajap, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajap

ajap Registered Member

hi all
    I'm just wondering if someone could give me some suggestions about a free firewall as light as ghostwall, easy to use and easy to configurate.
    it´s for a pc with 956 mhz procesor, 256 mb ram, 20 gb hdd, windows xp sp3 fully updated and avira free v 9. As you can see Every megabyte and CPU cycle counts on this machine
    thank for your replies

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

With specs like that you may be better using a hardware firewall. I don't know about configuration ease, but I think Jettico and Look n Stop are lite, at least they use to be. Look n Stop lite is free and easy but no longer supported.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would probably go for the Windows firewall.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ajap, should you decide on the Windows Firewall, here's an excellent tutorial: Windows XP firewall, done by Stem, one of our firewall moderators.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

with those specs i wuldnt run any firewall other than just windows firewall...

6. ajap

ajap Registered Member

thank you all for your answers, I am currently using ghostwall but I can not find support anywhere
    what would be better then? continue ghostwall or activate windows xp firewall? ghostwall until now has done a good job but I would like, for my peace of mind, define outbound rules.
    regards

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Are you willing to pay for one?

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I used to use Outpost Free v1 on many older machines on down to 400mhz PII's with 128mb ram running win2k. It performed fine as long as you don't leave it on rules wizard once you get it configured and make the log file size a bit smaller than default.

True it may not pass these johnny-come-lately firewall tests, but if all you need is basic application firewall you might give it a shot.

Sul.

9. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Here is a free one that is lite, Keiro 2.1.5 it is no longer supported but I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) provides outbound protection http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html#Kerio Personal Firewall The download is only 2018 kB

10. ajap

ajap Registered Member

Hi jhonnydollar, thank for replie, but for now I prefer to buy more memory and keep the ghostwall or windows xp firewall, but I can try with a trial firewall if you recommend some.

hi sully, thank for replie too, but would you give me the link to try ?
    regards

11. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Outpost version 1.0 free not supported http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/22/

Keiro 2.1.5 is free also not supported http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html#Kerio Personal Firewall

Look n Stop is lite and you can trial it for 30 days http://www.looknstop.com/En/download.htm

I assume Jetico is still lite. I assume they have a trial v2. http://www.jetico.com/firewall-jetico-personal-firewall/

Jetico v1 is lite and free not supported http://www.afterdawn.com/software/network_software/firewalls/jetico_personal_firewall.cfm/v1_0_1_61

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
  12. Creer

Creer Registered Member

You can also wait when DefenseWall Personal Firewall will be ready. It's very light fw but still in closed beta testing.

13. ajap

ajap Registered Member

jhonnydollar, thank you for yours suggestions

thank you creer, This option is interesting from what I read, but will it be really light?

Regards

14. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Your just gonna have to try them out ajap.

15. Creer

Creer Registered Member

You are welcome.
    Did you try DefenseWall HIPS 2.56? (not fw version)
    At this moment version with firewall - DefenseWall Personal Firewall v3 beta, has pretty the same resource usage as 'old' DefenseWall HIPS v2.56:
    dwhips_7h.png
    Note: on this screenshot is DW HIPS v2.56.

16. ajap

ajap Registered Member

hi creer, no, i didn't but i would like to try it.

regards

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Reading your specs I have to suggest that you consider a new computer. I am shopping for a computer for a friend who is going to be doing e-mail, internet, and word processing. She needs a basic computer. The simplest specs I can find are an HP computer with 250GB HD, 3GB RAM, 2500mhz AMD processor with Vista Premium, that sells for $549. With these specs you can install almost anything. I wouldn't continue to use your present computer that won't let you do anything for that price. :)

18. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 runs here: Win 2K, NOD32, SSM in 192 meg RAM, 700 or 900 mhz.
    Kerio uses 5meg tops.

19. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

I have a Dell 8200, 8 yr old. P4 2GHZ 512 Mem. Wind XP SP2. ZA FREE V5.5.094 works very well for Me.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Bill, I have a DELL 4600 5yrs. old. P4 2.8 GHZ, 1Gb mem. XPsp3. I think your computer would thank you for a RAM upgrade to 1 or 2 GB. :)

21. simisg

simisg Registered Member

private firewall light and fast

22. ajap

ajap Registered Member

who is the lightest, kerios v 2.1.5 or private firewall ? and of course, the fastest

23. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I used to use Kerio/Tiny on a K6II-500 so it will run like a champ on your hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.