Which firewall do you use?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by firefox2008, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

For the last 5-6 years I have used Zone Alarm. I didn't think too much about it because it loaded up nicely and very quietly did its job so I was happy with it.
    I saw on a site that a firewall called Comodo was supposed to be the best free firewall and decided to try it. I have only used it for about an hour now and it doesn't seem to be any different than Zone Alarm to me.
    Have you always used the same firewall, or do you try to find the best most secure one?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I sometimes try out different firewalls but not because I want a more secure one. I just look for firewalls that are easy-to-use, light, and can handle p2p/gaming.

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No. I love to experiment. It's like a drug and I need usually a weekly or monthly fix to satiate my appetite, though I have recently settled on Outpost 6.0 on one pc and Jetico 2 on another. Jetico, in particular, offers outstanding security with little impact on system resources.

Absolutely! It has become fashionable and perhaps a perception of appearing "cool" in this forum to declare:

"I only need inbound protection. Who cares that my programs call home. They need to anyways!"

For me, I want complete control over how my programs connect to the Internet. I will not settle for less!

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

For all of my systems, I have stayed with the original firewall program and haven't replaced any of them. Since some of my systems are outdated, I cannot just "switch" to another program. Also, I never trust the uninstall process of any program and just replacing it with another totally new program usually causes other problems. Unless the program stops working or becomes a liability, I usually stay with it.

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

This is because firewalls were meant to be standalone programs without regards to any other processes on your PC. Unfortunately when you add a filter barrier (such as one for your A/C or gas furnace), you slow down the flow of data (or air) and you affect other things in that flow path. :D

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Have you tried Jetico v1? If it's installed on a clean PC (no remnants of other security software) it's almost trouble-free, except for the pop-ups :D
    Also, it's super fast.

8. 19monty64

Limited abilities with configuring the one's that don't have issues is another stumbling block, that unfortunately I suffer from. Hopefully time will help solve this. For now, HIPS are my safe haven...

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I didn't seem to notice any difference in browser speed when I used Webroot Desktop Firewall with DSA enabled. And I don't think there's much of difference in my browser speed now with ZA Antispyware installed either. I tried Firefox with and without ZA running and that's how I came to that conclusion. Can certain HIPS slow down the browser though? I always felt ThreatFire did this slightly.

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hardware FW along with Sandboxie configured to stop any outbounds from within a sandboxed environment.

Minimal resources and highly effective!;)

11. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

In the past year, I've used Jetico v.1, Comodo 2.4 and 3.xx (beta), and am now using Online Armor free. The last two are similar application-based firewalls (like ZoneAlarm), whereas Jetico is a rules-based fw, meaning you have to manually set up your rules to make full use of its capabilities. (You can give apps blanket priviledges, like a app-based fw, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a "tighter" rules-based fw). If you like to have fine control, go with Jetico or another rules-based fw -- Look n Stop, Kerio 2.x, or others. If app-based works for you, then OA or Comodo are highly rated for inbound, leak protection (outbound) and limited rules making ("granular control").

SamSpade

|||

12. BBKing212

BBKing212 Registered Member

jetico V2

13. 19monty64

You need to time the browser with TF on then off, then repeat with a different browser.

14. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

In terms of inbound protection they're pretty much all the same. Making a decision should be based on if they're compatible with your current setup, how light they run, and if outbound control and/or HIPS is a want of yours. I have used Comodo 2.4 and liked it.

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 7 right now, it has everything I want under 1 hood and it's been working great for me. Every time something new comes along I try it out. So far nothing has impressed me enough to give me a reason to change.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

If you got a firewall that works for you - don't switch.

Regarding what I look for - compatibility, especially with p2p and games. Security, they are all pretty much the same. I don't care about leaktests as they mean you got your comp infected.

In the Windows environment, on my strictly production machines I use Sygate. Other setups, including testing and such, I use several others.

Mrk

16. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi, this is my first post.

I am from Austria, German is my native language and therefore not every pun is intended.

I also use Sygate (Free)
    Gaming, p2p and surfing are my main activities.
    Why I’m not using XP firewall? Because of its limits compared to a “complete” PF.
    I don’t like to be disturbed by any local network traffic while I’m on the way to the next “Massacre” or “Monster Kill” in UT3.

But Vista will be a necessary evil in middle term especially for gaming.
    (Please tell me that I’m wrong…)*puppy*

So which one to choose for Vista?
    With all the qualities Sygate offers: rock stable, easy to use, small footprint, doesn’t affect network latency too much, can’t be shut down in task manager etc.

Cheers

17. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i have 2 computers in the home
    one of them i put kaspersky internet security
    the another computer i put avira antivir premium with comodo firewall

18. despuesvengo

despuesvengo Registered Member

hello

I was reading all this and I will say something and then I expect some suggestions from you, because I do not know that much concerning firewalls. Just the basics let's say.

I use Sygate. I know, old, outdated, expired. I used Netveda 2 years ago but now that is back again alive, I installed it but noticed after some minutes it takes ram, lots. I posted this somewhere but it seems to be it just happens in my pc and some others. Even the Netveda forum did not answer. OK.

Sygate...don't know but from the moment I installed it pop ups asks you give permission or not to blablabla...and that's it! No problem with p2p, no problem with anything and this is where I expect advice from you....IS IT SO SIMPLE or I am doing a total messo_Oo_O?

I ask this because I read read and read and I see guys talking about inbound outbound, opening, closing, creating rules, creating rules to forbid the previous rule and I think to myself " I only say yes or no" and THAT'S IT!

thanks so much

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You can create those rules in Sygate too - they are called advanced rules. I create those for my lan and virtual machines. But for normal daily usage, you're most likely ok.
    Mrk

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Over the years I've used many different firewalls.
    I don't necessarily look for the best if it's not the best on my system.
    It has to be light on resources, fairly easy to use and run smooth. In other words no slow downs when surfing.
    Right now I'm using Online Armor free.
    I tried it and like it.
    Looks like this one found a new home.:D
    Dan

21. despuesvengo

despuesvengo Registered Member

thanks MrKvonic...I will keep using sygate, at least in grc.com it shows stealth mode

22. 212eta

212eta Registered Member

After I was dissappointed while trying Agnitum Outpost Pro Firewall v6.0,
    I am testing Online Armor (free version) and
    Webroot Desktop Firewall v5.5.10.20.
    For the time being, Online Armor seems to be more responssive to alerts :thumb: .
    We 'll see...:shifty:

23. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Fully activate DSA in Webroot(see thread) and you'll get more alerts than you can handle.

Anyway what sort of criteria is more alerts for testing a firewall-none-some are designed to be more user friendly.

PS I need sunglasses to read your posts-I hope you dont start a new fashion!

24. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

More like welders glasses

25. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Comodo 2.4 with no plan to move to 3.0. I have said this before, because of its simplicity Comodo 2.4 is destined to be a classic, like Kerio 2.15. It will be in use long after 3.0 comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.