Which firewall are you using.?

Discussion in 'polls' started by The Red Moon, Apr 1, 2013.

?

which firewall are you using and if possible state why.

1. COMODO FIREWALL

15.0%
  2. ONLINE ARMOR

15.0%
  3. OUTPOST

15.7%
  4. PRIVATEFIREWALL

6.5%
  5. ZONEALARM.

2.6%
  6. OTHER.

54.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Have you tried the updated version of comodo firewall.?

2. merisi

merisi Registered Member

Yes I did but there still wasn't any difference. Well actually what happened was is that I changed my hard drive a week or so ago and after a fresh install, Comodo just became really difficult almost straight away. When it asked me to block or allow a program, it'd freeze after choosing an option. On my old hard drive it worked really well. I can't work out what happened but as everything else works fine it has to be Comodo.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Im using the updated version at the moment and the av is not as CPU heavy as before.I do feel they released the new version a bit too early.
    strange you are getting pop-ups.I turned the HIPS off completely and just use the BB.
    Probably will not help you.

4. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I was using the HIPS in training mode and when I switched into paranoid mode it locked up completely. I've got a feeling if I'd have left it on the default settings it would have worked ok but for me the whole appeal of Comodo is the HIPS as it would go beserk if you were infected. Saying this I'm enjoying Privatefirewall and how you can see your firewall rules in a few clicks. I've still not worked out how to restrict rules to out going traffic only but there are only a tiny amount of programs going through my firewall.

GUFW is my favourite firewall on Linux as I could close all port traffic and then allow out going permissions to the few ports I needed.

5. guest

guest Guest

Same here:thumb:

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

LnS Phant0m ruleset.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I use the firewall in my pfSense router quite a bit for certain things.

I don't "use" a software firewall, but do have Outpost v6 installed. It just passes traffic most of the time. If I need to examine something, I turn it on.

Sul.

8. niki

niki Registered Member

Windows 7 Firewall since I want a silent FW.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

using Sphinx Firewall with Win 8.

10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Registered Member

Windows Firewall. :)

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I am using the built in firewall in Windows 7. I prefer it to 3rd part firewalls as it rarely prompts for action.

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Router w/ SPI (wired)
    Windows XP (Pro) integrated FW
    Comodo FW v5.10

Router for obvious reasons. A physical gateway repelling intrusion attempts before they get to my box, without sucking up overhead. Easily configurable for other devices. Doesn't need updating.

Windows XP FW - Just because it's there and provides another inbound barrier with very little overhead. I was once told not to turn off the WF/ICS service for some reason, so I just leave this on too, and harden it (grey it out) via a GP edit to lock it on.

Comodo FW - I've tried many outbound FW's and I just fell in love with the layout of this one. I find it very intuitive and granular. And once they added the D+, that really made it a keeper for me, as it was my favorite of all the HIPS programs I'd ever used all under 1 box. And both of them are very light together.

... though I wish they'd just kept it that way and not kept adding onto it and bloating the thing. It was perfect when it was just a FW & D+, but that's for another thread.

13. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Windows built-in firewall + Router.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I experimented with a bunch of firewalls and I found Private Firewall to work the best for me. A compromise between user friendliness, impact on a system and effectiveness. My 2nd choice would probably be outpost firewall but this one has a much more noticeable impact on performance.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Windows built in + Router.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Router... + Win Firewall is on also.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Windows Firewall with Router to minimize any issues. Added Tinywall to better manage full capabilities.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I forgot to mention my router.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Win FW along with WSA FW.

20. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

My vote nudges LnS to 5 thumbs up.:thumb:

21. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

i use outpost security suite. i am of course a bit prejudiced in favour of it. been using it or outpost firewall for a decade now...

22. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Comodo FW from CIS 5.12 at the moment, but it won't auto-update anymore and D+ has started to not remember rules and conflicting with legit processes, so I'm about to switch to ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.

I also tried PrivateFirewall and Comodo 6.2 Firewall, but liked ZA the best because it worked well in my VM tests, has received good reviews and runs really light. I'll combine it with either ZoneAlarm free AV for the complete suite, or I'll go with Qihoo's 360 Internet Security (noted for their triple AV engine).

Note that ZoneAlarm does not have full HIPS, or at least it doesn't alert you about every new process to establish a rule, but rather will only block and ask about processes that act suspiciously. This can be either an advantage (fewer needless pop-ups) or a disadvantage (if it let's something through because it didn't ask). I also found that for best results, at least in my case, it's best to put ZA firewall protection to max (most alerts) and the HIPS component to manual. You can use auto-modes, but then it may block legitimate processes or let bad ones through - I experienced the former, but not the latter hence I suggest max protection and manual modes, respectively.

23. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Now I'm using OA. All is OK so far.

24. theharlequin

theharlequin Registered Member

Kerio Firewall 2.1.5. Why? Extremely low impact on system resources; I like the setup for the ruleset; no bloat. Doesn't work on the new versions of Windows however that's no prob, I'm still using WinXP.

25. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Router plus Little Snitch on my Mac, with Windows Firewall on my Win7 VM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.