Which external HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jts, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jts

jts Registered Member

I have used TI since 8 and have upgraded to the latest version of 9. During this time, I have spent HOURS trying to get the images needed. I've used CDs this whole time and have many, many coasters to show for my efforts.

I think I've finally realized that an USB External HD is the way to go (DVDs don't seem to work at all and CDs are just too problematic). Since TI seems to be so "picky", can you PLEASE let me know which external HDs seem to work the best. ( I bought two different CD burners in the quest to find "the" burner that will give successful images, etc the majority of the time). I don't want to go through that search again with HDs.) Is there a HD that is most recommended? Are the ext. HDs that just don't seem to work?

Regarding the use of external HDs, I've read that one method is to place the Safety Zone on the exteranl HD. Another method is to image to the HD but not in the SZ. Which works the most realiably? What method has the least problems? Can I create a folder on the ext. HD and image to that folder? Can I create more then one folder and image another computer to that folder? I want to image my lap top and desk top to one ext. HD. Any problem with that? Will I have any problems with picking the correct image in case of a HD failure?

Thank you so much for all advice in advance. I look forward to the recommendations.

jt

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

jts,

The most flexible method would be to use the external plain, without a Secure Zone. That way you could ceate folders for images from different sources and manage image files at will.

If you do create a SZ on the external HD (to benefit from the automatic FIFO image file management with scheduled backups), do not activate the Startup Recovery Manager to prevent booting trouble with the external disconnected.

The general consensus was that externals with NEC chipsets never disappointed. It would seem, however, that instances of externals not being seen after booting from Rescue CD are reported less frequently these last months. External drives' manufacturers may have become aware of these issues. Choosing a new model of external drive would therefore give you better chances IMO.

There were several threads on this forum with working externals mentioned. You may want to perform a search.

Mine is an LC Power, with a JMicron chipset, but it seems to be a rare beast.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

High jts,

note that most of the popular external USB drives use IDE drives internally. With the latest versions of ATI there are no significant issues I am aware of for either parallel or serial IDE drives.

Therefore I think your question should really be about what is the most suitable/compatable USB *enclosure* - rather than whatever disk you happen to have fitted in it.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.