Which Disk-Imaging Software Does This?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by appster, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appster

appster Registered Member

I do all of my computing on a Notebook PC. Without arguing the wisdom (or lack thereof) of using a notebook as compared to a desktop, I'm looking for a good backup program not only to create/restore an image of my notebook's hard drive, but one that will also allow me to restore an image that was created on my notebook onto a new notebook (in the event mine gets stolen, damaged, or whatever).

While I already have an external USB hard drive to hold my backup images, as of yet I haven't found the backup software I'm looking for ....and from what I've read in various threads in this forum, as well as in the Acronis True Image forum on Wilders, the latter task (underlined above) is very difficult to assure! As 'my life' is on my notebook, I must be able to do that kind of restore (without any uncertaintly), so if any of you use or know of a backup program that can definitely do this, please let me know which software it is.

Thanks very much.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Basically, your notebooks would have to be identical hardware-wise. In that case, there would be no problems as this is done all the time in corporate environments. Unless there is something I don't know about - which is entirely possible - your search for imaging that will image on one system on restore (and everything work properly) on a completely different system will prove frustratingly fruitless.

3. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I had dealt with this before.
    The software was Acronis True Image.
    The laptop was Acer's flagship TM8204. It had to be sent in because the bluetooth hardware was not functioning properly on arrival. They sent me back a brand new laptop. I restored the image to it AFTER all the driver updates. Still crusing along.
    There is really no 100% guarantee in this type of thing. You should get used to reinstalling all the programs and backing up your data. That's the only guarantee.

4. appster

Thanks for the reply, but since my notebook is now two years old and there's no telling when I will need to replace it, there's no chance it will be the same exact brand and model.

5. appster

That echoes the same bad news I've already read in other threads - what a bummer!

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

You guys shouldn't be so quick to cast doubt on doing this sort of thing. Acronis claims that their Corporate versions of True Image with their Universal Restore plugin does exactly what appster wants to do!

I'm not suggesting that Acronis True Image (Corp Versions) are the only disk imaging programs with that capability (it just happens to be one that I'm quite familiar with).

Jo Ann

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've never tested the acronis uniiversal restore, but folks do seem to have problems with it. I have beaten up on Shadow Protects Hardware Independent Restore and it does work even on very dissimiliar hardware.

What people fail to realize though is the objective of these programs, is not to give you a perfect machine, but to be able to boot to windows. From there you will have driver type issues to iron out.

I imaged a Pentium P4 laptop with Promise raid, to my new Intel core 2 duo machine with Nvidia raid. Also the laptop had the standard mouse, the desktop the Intellipoint mouse setup. Graphic's cards totally different, as obviously were the mother boards. All I had to do is when I fired up the HIR, was point it to my floppy to pick up the nvidia raid drivers, and then it was off and running. System came up, and I was actually able to do useful work. Graphic's were so so, because of generic drivers, but was useable. I was even able to get online.

All that being said HIR isn't not in SP Desktop V2. I think(not positive) it might be in desktop V3 which is due out soon.

All the being said in all candor for your purposes, I would just take the new laptop, install my programs and move the data. Thats the only way I would set up a new machine. Unless you are a have multiple machines, I suspect it would be just as quick in the long run. I always take a new machine, and add a program at a time, and make sure all is well. That way if there is a pr oblem I know what caused it.

Pete

8. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

Well, 2 years ago I made an image of my C partition, an some months later I had to migrate that image to a new hardware and it worked, when I reinstalled that image it only asked me to reboot because the software had found new hardware, and after the reboot every thing went on smoothly until nowdays. I am writing this post in that new hardware with that old image, I made it with IMAGE FOR DOS, as you know it never fails!!!

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:thumb:

That was a good great result: which OS?, what HW out of interest.
    You might not be able to count on that being so easy all the time.

@appster:
    there is a very detailed paper here:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=302
    and you could ask in their news group if you wanted more info.

AS per Peter, Shadow protect HIR may come to be the least fiddly option: when it gets here.

PS: you've obviously given a lot of thought to this:
    As noted there may be no guarantee but there is hope if there really is a catastrophic hw bork: you may just have to reinstall an OS and go from there.

My office HD failed out of the blue on first morning boot a couple of months ago: I had to get new HD, put XP and fdisr back on an hd from same m'facturer in same box and was able to completely recover with FDISR arx file from the day before: realistically lost nothing. ( also have secondary daily data back up on USB) Did not have Terabyte tools on that box: was just about to put them on :gack:

Made me take a deep breath and think very carefully re strategy.

Obviously Laptops a bit trickier . HDiscs alone can be replaced with similar and then boot from recovery and restore.

If you had to get all new HW then it really is an opportunity to 'redo" software set-up, and it might be the best path to follow rather than try and force an image onto new hw.

Just have to have good back-up strategy with file syncing +/- imaging +/-FDISR depending on paranoia levels. Make sure that whatever imaging you use will mount the files for recovery if req.
    That should cover most eventualities : software and or hw flame out.

Heh: buy 2 laptops at a time :ouch:

tell us what you go for.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thats great, but I suspect it worked because the hardware is very close to being the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.