Which desktop operating system is most secure?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Hungry Man, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which OS is most secure?

1. Windows XP

3.3%
  2. Windows Vista/7

18.7%
  3. Windows 8

18.7%
  4. Windows (Other, post which)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ubuntu/Fedora Derivative Distros

11.0%
  6. Linux (Other, post which)

33.0%
  7. OSX

6.6%
  8. Other

8.8%
  1. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Not sure how to vote honestly, any can be secure if tweaked out of the box and their use cases (Are we talking public facing server, desktop, etc). Honestly a hardened Windows or Linux distro are on equal ground. ;)

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Talking about desktop operating systems, not servers. Average user systems.

3. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Even limiting the use cases to just desktops, all (Windows, Linux, etc) are as secure as the user maintaining it.

Though I am sure some will see that as a cop out, so assuming no modifications are performed on the system out of the box (vanilla install), and assuming the user has no computing security sense once so ever, my vote? A Linux desktop, any flavor will probably do (most are bloated these days anyway). Out of all the options in the poll, that would be the "most secure".

The real question you should then be asking, how did someone with no computing sense end up on Linux?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

For one reason they fall for anti-MS statements, for another it's generally free compared to 100+ bucks for the OS alone. Underneath the "user friendly" paint jobs most distros have been given these days in the vain hope they'll have a chance to have a "year of the Linux desktop", Linux is still the same old Linux, error codes and all.

Users can't be relied upon to make their OS secure. If most users had the ability and will to, we wouldn't be having as many issues with hacking as we are. If the answer is going to be "An OS is as secure as the user makes it", we're all doomed. And yeah, servers and desktops are entirely different worlds.

6. zitch

zitch Guest

Keep your system updated. There are still updates available for Windows XP.

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

In other words, successful Desktop Operating Systems need to do be smart (secure) themselves and take into consideration the user that falls for every social engineering tactic.

Desktop Operating Systems should be useful and nice for all their potential users - their purpose shouldn't be to segregate the more adapted from the less adapted.

It this is a side effect, it's a bad side effect that needs to be fixed IMO.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Which is another reason why 100% computing security remains and will remain a myth. Operating systems will never be made bug and hole-proof, users will always find ways around things that bug them and hackers will always find ways around the best roadblocks you can throw at them.

No, an OS shouldn't cater to one specific type of person..which is one of the many reasons Linux has never made it into the hands of the "masses" and remains mostly in use for servers. Making an OS for smart people and another for "dumb" people would just be stupid and solve nothing.

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

100% is intimidating, but should always be the aim. :)

Although, sometimes compromises are needed because security isn't all that matters.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hopefully the people that are voting XP and Windows 7 are doing so because they believe that they can make it more secure through changes/3rd party software that isn't available on Windows 8. Not because they genuinely think it's more secure out of the box!

11. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Honestly i think that these days Linux distros like Ubuntu and Mint are more "user friendly" than Windows 8... Linux is no longer only for "geeks" imo.

12. moontan

moontan Registered Member

totally agree.
    all the codecs come pre-installed out of the box and the varied selection of apps installed and available makes it very noob friendly.

Ubuntu and Mint have been as easy as Windows to install and use in my experience.

an added advantage of Linux is the repositories, where the chances of getting a software with malware in it is very close to zero.

13. zitch

zitch Guest

Thats why we have Windows and Linux :D

14. zitch

zitch Guest

Ubuntu would be the choice of the masses if it weren't so dammed ugly. When you first download and open Ubuntu, the screen looks like something out of Dante's Inferno.....I think it scares a lot of people.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

lol... probably only you... ;)

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What do you mean by secure out of the box?
    Does it protect your data?
    Better backups?
    Less chance of an error?
    Easier recovery?

Which one it is?

Mrk

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

For me it look fine but it is quite confusing . . . im so used to Windows flexibility and interface that i don't think i would not last even a day with any Linux distro. :rolleyes:

18. er34

er34 Guest

It has more options/tools (Smart Screen Filter OS wide, ELAM driver, that can protect me against threats -> this protects my data better than previous Windows OS versions.

Windows 8 introduces many under the hood improvements in (let's say) BitLocker - the encryption technology which protects my data better than in Windows XP/Vista/7. Additionally, Trusted boot and litelly tons of under the hood improvements.

Back up is the same as Windows 7, but Windows 8 introduces the function "Storage spaces" which protects data and is not present in previous Windows versions.
    Additionally, by default Windows 8 includes SkyDrive with gives 7 GB free space @ Microsoft.

Yes. Statistics show that with each and every new version, errors such as BSOD appear less. Any new OS versions is supposted to be less errorful.

Windows 8 introduces improvements of the previous known recovery methods. Additionally, it includes other options (not previously availbable in older Windows OS). Such improvement is "Refresh your PC without affecting your files". And others...

Best regards!

19. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Until you get error messages. Then have fun as an average user trying to figure that out, not being helped by the fact that Linux distros have this habit of completely screwed up file names

20. zitch

zitch Guest

Thats just it- when you are used to using Windows, anything else just seems wrong somehow. It's awkward.

21. zitch

zitch Guest

Yep.....Took one look at it, and said: "Hell No!!!"

22. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Can you show me these statistics ?

Cheers, Nick

23. NGRhodes

Not sure what you mean, can you give me an example ?

Cheers, Nick

24. er34

er34 Guest

Compare Windows 98 and Windows 7 and ask any Windows user

25. NGRhodes

You are probably right, but I've never seen the statistics from any kind of survey/poll that you claim exist.

Cheers, Nick

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.