which browser?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by iceni60, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

id like to ask you which browser would you say is most secure/user-friendly;disregarding mozilla/ie(including add-ons&shells)/opera?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Security is an illusion for the most part. We are dealing with computers after all.

I would say any browser that itsn't integrated deep into the operating system would be a better choice these days.

Ever heard of OffbyOne. Bare bones browser that fits on a floppy. It does just the basics for the most part. It strips pages of most "junk".

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ive never really looked.i use ie and ff equally.but,i would consider a new browser if it was even alittle more secure.i dont really use extensions,scripting and i have proxo.so i suppose im pretty safe.but the thing is i can be careless at times,and thats all it takes.also im probably the lest experienced/knowledged person hereedit*check out my avatar if you dont believe me*,so really id be happy to switch browser if theres a good recommendation

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Iceni60, ;)

As for security, regarding the main top 3 browsers.

Secunia Vulnerability Information:

IE 6 55 Secunia advisories
    Opera 7X 26 Secunia advisories
    Mozilla 1.6 / FireFox 0.X 5 Secunia advisories

Additional / Bonus Link Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability Test

My preference (currently) hands down is FireFox 0.9.2 ... but I also regularly use Opera. ;) ... and while IE continues to be the most popular browser of most inexperience/novice PC users (no offense LWM - you are defintiely an advanced user ;)), it will continue to be the preferred target of malware, for both it's popularity and security issues regarding it's system rights, and of course M$'s active X. Until, or even if, either of these two browsers reach the popularity of IE, many of their vulnerbilities will go unnoticed and unexploited ... and without having the same system rights or support for Active X ... they've already got one heck of a leg up on IE. The better choices for sure. ;)

dog - *puppy*

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox is what I use also with proxomitron.

Most of the problems come in when a person downloads a program with malware attached. Freeware can be notorious although some payware is just as bad.

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I think the consensus around here is that firefox/mozilla is pretty secure. I love it, personally. Is there any particular concern you have regarding FF?

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello,dog,optigrab and ronjor.yes i almost missed the config. the other day.and im still on 9.i did the about:blank fix,but i was just lucky i saw it.i have to check each day for updates,and i think we shouldnt have to do that.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

They are supposed to add auto update. Of course, after doing this, people will want to know what is calling out on their computer!! :D

9. dog

dog Guest

FireFox 0.9.2 ... has an update feature (manual/auto) under Options -> Advanced

Attached Files:

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thats true.but then you start to think of trojans.my ie is switched off(auto-update)i know this is the real world we're in,thats why i asked if there might be just one other option regarding a new browser?

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Dog,i read you should switch off *allow websites to install software*and thanks for letting me know,about the updates.but i feel im going round in circles.i just dont want to have to do anther reinstall,though having said that,im probably getting to be abit more savy just hanging around here.i have learned alot from you lot.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You're right, Dog. Duh! :D :cool:

14. dog

dog Guest

Oppps ... himmm .... must've been set as default! ;) o_O ;) ~Can anyone confirm this?~

LOL :D corrected ... I should've looked closer :mad: ~Kicking myself~ LOL :D

Thanks iceni60 ;)

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ill have a look thanks,its got a bar on the left-hand-side,hasnt it?which one would you recommend?

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thats funny :D :D :D

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Im trying to remember which one is the best. 4.5??

Maybe someone will come along that has a better memory. :D

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

this one is 7.it looks pretty old school to me.it will go perfectly with my new dos prompts

Attached Files:

19. dog

dog Guest

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4,it says has buffer overflow,ill read through it all properly,then pick one.

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just DLed offbyone,can someone confirm that it is a safer browser,no scripting etc. does it mean that it will be impossible to get into trouble,or do i still have to be fairly cautious

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I suppose you could get into trouble using any browser. :D

Less likely with OffbyOne.

Reasons To Use The Off By One Browser

You want an independent online/offline Web browser that loads and runs quickly and reliably on all Windows systems.

You need a secure browser that protects your identity when browsing and leaves no track of where you've been.

You prefer to browse the Web without pop-up, pop-over and pop-under advertising windows.

You need to distribute a lightweight, consistent browser that behaves identically on all Windows platforms.

You need a browser that can run directly from a floppy, CD, ZIP etc. without installation.

Off By One Browser Features

Implements full HTML 3.2 support plus many HTML 4.0 extensions, including Frames.

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) support provided by optional OpenSSL libraries for secure navigation to https:// addresses.

Extras include image animation, WAV and AVI playback and the ability to automatically launch external applications for file types that are not supported internally.

Packaged in one self-contained 1.1MB application. Can be compressed down to about 400KB for distribution.

Completely self-contained, does not require the presence of any other browser.

Does not require any installation, browser can be run directly from a CD or over a network.

Has a unique Find-In-Files feature that can search the non-tag text of multiple HTML files.

Has a unique image zoom option.

Off By One Browser Limitations

No JavaScript support (so no pop-up ad windows).

No applet, plug-in or Flash support.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thank you ronjor,its abit confusing trying to navigate this forum with OBO,it is quick though,

Attached Files:

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's good to use when you want to get around in a hurry!:D

It's not pretty, but you don't have to install it. Just open it and go!

25. Operation FF

Operation FF Guest

Mozilla Firefox, don't leave your homepage without it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.