which backup to use first

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tvenetis, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvenetis

tvenetis Registered Member

I did a backup of my harddrive from c to mhy f drive and i split the backup and I was wondering which one to restore first thanks

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Start with the highest file number i.e. the last one.
    John

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Actually, it doesn't matter which one you choose when all the .tib files relating to the image are on the same drive/disk. TI recognises that they are all part of the same image and will start the restore from the first file.

You only need to select the last file if the image has been split across two or more CDs/DVDs.

Regards

4. tvenetis

Thanks but I tried mybackup2.tib on the second dvd and it said I could not back up because things were running do you ant acronis to reboot and I said yes and I went through the wizzard again and the backup would not start after I put the backup 2 in the dvd writer it was like I could not find .tib. I went back in windows and the tib was there and the backup varifyed properly. I also tried doing the backup with the dvd in the toshib dvd cd rom and by trying different letters it still did not work

5. Menorcaman

Aah, now it's clear! Your F drive is a DVD/CD burner and your split image files have been distributed across two DVDs.

Did you create the image direct to a UDF formatted DVD RW or did you use the indirect, two-step, method? If the latter, what file size did you choose to split the image manually during its initial creation?

Regards

6. tvenetis

I chose 2000mb for the size and I used nero dvd iso to burn each part

7. Menorcaman

2000MB is o.k. for an ISO9660 DVD (but 2GB would be bad and 635MB would be better - see this earlier <post> for the reason why).

An iffy burn can throw up some strange symptoms when attempting to restore. Try burning another image compilation (use RW disks if possible to prevent wastage) but this time set your burner's write speed to something less than maximum. I also recommend closing down any non-essential applications that may be running in the Windows Task Bar and disabling the native Windows CD recording feature (for Windows XP open "My Computer", right click on your burner icon, select "Properties" then "Recording" and uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive").

Regards

8. tvenetis

I burned the backup at a slower wright speed and recording cd was already disabled on my burner in my computer but after the boot disk stops spinning I go through the wizzard but when I put the dvd in my dvd rom it won't recognize the f:mybackup2.tib. If I leave the cd in my rom and i type f: the cd starts to spin. As you know I am blind and I wrote down the keystrokes with a friend helping me so i know the f drive is recognizing a cd in the rom but not a dvd

9. Menorcaman

Hmm. Most strange. What TI version and build number are you using? If not the latest then download the update (you need to have registered your previous version in order to access the update). Also, create a "Safe" version of the bootable rescue CD and try restoring your image after booting from that.

Regards

10. tvenetis

I am using true image 8 built number 774

11. Menorcaman

As I said in my previous reply, update to the latest build (786) and, if that still doesn't work correctly for you then create a "Safe" version boot rescue CD and try restoring from that (assuming your DVD drive is not an external USB device).

Regards

12. tvenetis

Thanks i realized what you were saying about updating I just figured i let you know which one i was using. I updated version and it worked fine but on my laptop I can't use the safe version of the boot the backup dvd is not recognized with my internal dvd rom so i tried the full boot and it worked thanks. Also can i put the boot cd media on mybackup2.tib dvd? thanks

13. Menorcaman

Hello again tvenetis

If you mean can you create a self booting DVD that contains both the TI boot rescue program and your TI image then the answer is yes. You'll need to download a couple of third party utilities but it's not too difficult to do, just slightly long winded that's all. Anyway, if you want to give it a go, have a look at my post in wdormann's thread titled How to create bootable rescue DVD(s).

Regards

14. tvenetis

Hello I followed all of your steps in How to create bootable rescue DVD(s). and when I tried to burn bootable dvd with nero and try to select the bin file like you say nero does not recognize it before i hit open it only shows me acronis and bcdw it does not see the other 2 files in TIbootDVD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.