Which AVs do whitelisting?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I know Webroot, NOD32, and Kaspersky whitelist files so future scans are faster.

Does Norton Security whitelist files? Not complaining as it's one of the lightest AVs I've used but just out of interest.

Also, which other AVs do whitelisting?

2. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

4. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Emsisoft, Comodo.....

5. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Avast ...

6. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Emsisoft uses whitelisting to reduce realtime scanning overhead? That's certainly news to me, though I don't want to say that I doubt it, I've just not heard about it until now.

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Ooops!....sorry.....I thought MR asked about whitelist in general.
    They do have caching option to speed up the scanning...I will ask Elise about the way it works....

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I believe nearly all modern AVs utilise some form of whitelisting.

9. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Avira doesn't, I think.

10. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

The performance tests by avc may be used as an indicator.
    Take a look at the results for the test case 'Open office documents' (especially this test to consider guards operating in on-execution mode).
    There are results for first and subsequent test runs.
    So one could think, emsi is using some kind of fingerprinting, too.

Cheers,
    Ford

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

It surely doesn't, when I was using it, a full system scan took triple the time it would with any other AV although Avira itelf is light, but its scanning is the slowest so I doubt it has any form of whitelisting.

12. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! I submitted at Avira's 3rd Party Vendor Clearing Website/Idea Scale...Avira's Feedback Community...a Proposal to use some form Of Whitelisting...Cacheing...and was told by an Avira Employee that my Proposal would be given Serious Consideration...perhaps the Consideration part was true but nothing of an Affirmative Action was implemented by Avira Management. And my Proposal goes back to March of this year. Thank you for your suggestion! I will forward this to our product management for further evaluation. That was Oliver Grbavac a Moderator at Avira Community...Unbelievable a Company with Avira's Brainpower can't implement this request. Sincerely...Securon

13. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Well a suggestion I made for showing all system hidden files regardless of what the user has chosen in the Folder Options in order to ease adding folders that are located in the C:\Users\All Users folders which is a system hidden folder was made a couple of months back. I had a lot of positive feedback regarding my idea.......what did Avira do? NOTHING! I even suggested this on their Facebook account, they said great idea! we will forward it to the concerned department.......nada.....

Avira doesn't listen to its customers......it's use it as it is or leave it

14. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Twister AV (Filseclab) can do that automatically.

15. Cmhelper

Cmhelper Registered Member

You got positive feedback about your idea from an Avira employee and are sad that this has not been implemented until now. There is no timeline assured until when community requests will be denied or accepted. You know, that we are not talking about an enhancement for a text editor... there is a roadmap and priority for security related topics for the rapidly changing threat landscape to consider. Once a feature is ready for the market, you will see it first in our beta center :)

16. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Yeah isn't all these cloud based services some form of whitelisting mechanism?

I tried webroot, and that thing kills system performance on my rig, will be trying it no another rig to see if its a one off experience. In addition it was very buggy, having to reapprove apps every few hours I marked as trusted e.g. for firewall and having files marked as U in log but are classified as safe on webroot's servers.
    I reinstalled nod32 (v8 again) and it took an age to do a full scan of my C: drive + docs, however after the scan was done the system is fast again. I rather have slow manual scans with fast real time use than the other way round.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

@ Securon, @ Mortal Raptor,
    Althought I don't like Avira Online Essentials/Avira Launcher thing, please note:

Oct 21, 2014=
    Now:
    Somebody from Avira noticed the obvious. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  18. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Cmhelper! It matters not to me whether Avira in this case...has acknowledged something that it's Competitors provide in their product to reduce the unnecessary scanning of duplicate files...saving the user Time in Scanning. And Time as you know is a Key Benefit of a Product's User Effectiveness. This should be one of the Top Priorities on Avira's Roadmap...because the Consumer will take a Faster Road to a Competitor. It's simply a matter of Time! Sincerely...Securon

19. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

+1, I've moved on to Norton Security. You know what they say, you snooze, you lose

20. Rakanisheu

Rakanisheu Guest

We do a large amount of it here in Webroot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.