Which AV Suite to get from Local Bricks & Mortar-type Store

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bizadi, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

I am asking for a friend who has a Windows 7 system and Free Avast, just like my pc. He wants to just go to a local bricks & mortar-type store, such as Fred Meyer (in WA state) or Best Buy, and get an "off-the-shelf" AV suite. He's not real big on online research and doesn't have a lot of free time. Any recommendations? I was looking at the AV-Comparatives site trying to find a new report but it seems like they now have a LOT more categories than when I last looked (around 4 years ago). Should I look for the Summary report (I was hoping to find something newer than December 2013)?

I have recommended Unchecky as he has 2 teen girls and a wife who are pretty much oblivious to all of the extra toolbars etc. that get installed while they are surfing. He is using Malwarebytes (free) and is considering upgrading to Pro, as am I. MB detected PUP Optional.Conduit.A on my machine about a month ago and said that it was removed but it was still there. I had assistance from the MB Forum with removing it but only after my debit card was compromised. I am a bit hesitant to pay for MB Pro when it says that something has been removed but it is still there (repeated scans and removals of Conduit by Free MB said that it had been removed).

So, if my friend walks into a store such as Best Buy looking for an AV suite what should he get?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.