Which AV is it that you do not like?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CJsDad, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I had this "love/hate" relationship with AntiVir 7, and I solved this problem by downgrading to AntVir 6. I'm still undecided over eScorcher -- light but too much akin to a trojan. Perhaps this was merely a poor installation or I didn't tweak it's settings properly. (And Softpedia claims that eScorcher is 100% clean!)

Dave

2. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Never cared much for AntiVir 6 (better on Win98 than XP) love that AntiVir 7 (on both OS's) :)

Don't know how secure I would feel with a sixteen month obsolete antivirus program. :(

I used to love iRiS AntiVirus, but had to give it up after it was discontinued, AntiVir Classic 7 has been the only anti-virus that I liked better.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Don't like any AV which would slow my system down, so far, I have been very happy with Anti Vir and Avast.

4. ASM

ASM Registered Member

For me... PCcillin.

5. Terry Sleeper

Terry Sleeper Registered Member

It has to be Kaspersky - constantly "clamping down" not just on "suspect" files, but on ANYTHING that was not Kaspersky. I tried the 30-day sample twice, but it drove me bananas! Pinging and popping-up everywhere - yuk!

Am now trying out NOD32 - and it looks to be as good as people far more "tech savvy" than I claim it is.

Have used AVG (free) AND tried AVG (paid). The latter does not appear to me to be much of an improvement on the former. The cost is not justified.

Norton / McAfee - I was steered away from by experienced users when I bought my first computer in March 2006. By all accounts, this was good advice.

Terry.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Are you sure about that? Can you explain this in detail? :)

:D:D:D:D :p :D

Well, if it works for you, it works....;)

AVG has many paid versions: AVG Professional, AVG Anti-Malware, AVG Internet Security. Which one did you try? AVG Anti-Malware is 100% worth the money IMO. :)

Norton's latest version is actually very nice. You should try it out. :)

7. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I tried the Kaspersky AV trial as well, as i was not satisfied with Nod's current performance. The only thing that put me off was what Terry highlighted. Using proactive detection, every time something that could possibly be malicious happened, KAV 'squealed' :p and made me jump more than once. That got pretty tiring in the end.

Also, i found that when using encrypted connection scanning (again, a must for me - i use Mozilla Thunderbird with the WebMail extension to pull my Hotmail off the servers and onto my local computer), T.Bird, FF and IE all moaned about untrusted certificates. A bit annoying in the end.

I really liked KAV, and i was enquring about a refund for Nod, but in the end I stuck by it, having been driven crazy by KAV's popups (and the slowdown when it scans port 80 HTTP traffic... yuk!). Any suggestions on how to alleviate those issues would be appreciated ;)

Matt

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

did you install kav6.0 as basic?
    or extended?
    install.
    its best to install on basic mode if you dont know how to answer the popups.
    you can turn off the encryted traffic scan.
    i hardly ever get any pdm popups any more.
    lodore

9. The_Duality

I installed as extended. Reason being that i wanted to try all of its features (i had only just shelled out for Nod and only wanted to shell out again for KAV if it was amazing :p). It was, so i was going to give a friend my Nod license and buy KAV. The PUPs and that 'noise' it makes though, just put me off :rolleyes:

I hear version 7 has the option to change the noise... :D

Dont get me wrong though, I didnt give up KAV because of the sound effects... the PUPs just got a bit irritating. ;)

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the extended mode gives more popups and is more suited to the more advanced user.
    in basic mode you will still have great protect without the popups you dont understand
    lodore

11. The_Duality

Ahh i see :p

Looks like ill re-install the trial again later and give it another go. I hate having to mess around re-installing Comodo though. That is a pain in the metaphorical backside ;)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

13. jen87

jen87 Registered Member

I used to have Avast in my laptop but I think they don't have good virus updates, so, I change to AVG (free edition) and run free online scanning process from sites like infectedornot.com, bitdefender.com, etc. once a month

Cheers :D

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Don't like AVG, eTrust AV and nod32. These are definitely not for me :thumbd:

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nod and Kaspersky.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

thats a strange comment from you, on both counts. :eek:

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Not really. I cant get Nods new suite to work, nor do I think it is great as it has been made to think. Kaspersky, is still a aggravating product, for reasons. But I still have Dr. Web on my laptop and it is clean and fast.:)

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

with the suite, I tried to reinstall it and I get the roll back with XP. Pure crap. Kaspersky 7 may be the winner yet, but for now Avira and Dr Web. Really Chris, I have quit putting faith in so called testing of AVs. The real one is your own PC.:)

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I hate McAfee desktop AV.
    I never liked Kaspersky, but that's just me.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well you should always use something that runs well and agrees with your machine, rather than test results, always said this to you.

as for nods suite, isnt it still beta though?

i agree with your kaspersky comments to a point, its just never agreed with my old laptop, nor my new power one, for one reason or another... i just prefer to keep my doctor in.

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Yes it is... That's why I don't understand why he is judging it now since it's still unfinished semi-buggy beta release.

22. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Avast provides better detection than AVG free. AVG free's detection must not be confused with AVG anti-malware's detection.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes, in all fairness it is still in beta. But its AV was never as good as some testing sites led us to think.:rolleyes: peace bro.:)

24. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

It's alway been good for me... Testing site show the opposite for Dr.Web (low detection), but it has also kept my computer clean.

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Tomorrow's another day and he'll hate Avira. :rolleyes: Again.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.