Which AV Have "Safe Surf?"

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I was wondering if AVs other than Avast have a "Safe Surf" type capability.
    I found a Matousec test that shows results of a test of 14 security products. Most did poorly, but here are the best. " Bitdefender Internet Security 2012
    and Avast! Internet Security were able to block about a half of the tested techniques. Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and Trusteer Rapport 3.5 successfully blocked all 15 types of attacks. An informative test, and germane to the environment today.

http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/pdf/online_payments_threats_report_matousec.pdf

Thanks,
    Jerry

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Which exact feature is "Safe Surf"? Do you mean the Avast! sandbox, the Safe Zone, or a different feature?

Off the top of my head, I know that Kaspersky and Bitdefender have a virtual browsing mode that is similar to Avast!'s Safe Zone. Both of those initiate automatically when a person goes to a banking site or some other sensitive site. I think they are both configurable so that a person can list sites that work with the virtual environment browser and remove sites as well. For what it is worth, I think I like Avast!'s implementation the best. I trialed Bitdefender 2013 and the beta version of the new Kaspersky and it was odd to me to have the virtual browser pop up. I like Avast!'s deal where you start the Safe Zone and then browse in the virtual environment of your own volition.

Edit - Bitdefender calls their function SafePay and I think Kaspersky is calling theirs Safe Money.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Hamlet,
    Yes Avast's Safe Surf is what I was looking into other AVs to see if there were others with similar capabilities.
    Thee are others, I discovered when I went to the Matousec test. However, only Kaspersky of the normal users AVs scored 100%. Most did not block 50% of the threats.

I assume that those results would be the same if the system was operating within an unsecured WIFI. That might not be a good assumption.
    When staying in a hotel I have always been hesitant to do any transactions that involved transfer of funds, such as PayPal.

Jerry

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Regarding the Matousec's test, in case of avast, he didn't bother to use SafeZone at all... but they did use Kaspersky's Safe Money.

The test was commissioned by Kaspersky btw.

Go figure!;)

Vlk

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi VLK,
    I did not pick that up. Thanks, and it does not really test Avast's capability. It doesn't make sense to me that the tests would be so conducted.:mad: o_O

I'm glad you read the methodology.

I did see that Kaspersky commissioned the test. I always hope that testing organizations will do an objective job, BUT:mad:

Thanks again,
    Jerry

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Bitdefender has SafePay and a Sandbox mode

7. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA Extreme has "ZA virtualization", i.e: sandboxing IE and FF with proactive jamming of keyloggers and screengrabbers and encryption of browser cache ;)

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

You can add these as well ;)

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Zemana Anti-Malware is just a rebranded version of Hitman Pro, Zemana AntiLogger has safe banking features.

10. DX2

DX2 Guest

Is AVG's LinkScanner Different?

11. itman

itman Registered Member

The Malware Research Group tests are the best for this type of evaluation. Unfortunately the main coordinator of that entity has been ill for the first part of this year. Do look at the 2011 report however to see just how effective Kapersky is. The best protection solutions aren't even covered in the Matousec tests.

As far as Trusteer goes, if you want to bring your high powered PC to it's knees go right ahead and install it.

If your a sandbox person, get Sandboxie.

12. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, thanks i knew that ;) I posted it together with HMP as JerryM asked "Which AV Have "Safe Surf?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.