which av for outlook

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what av would you all recc for better integration with outlook, im not a normal outlook user and i have not really tested more than avast, norton, and eset (which for some reason never worked right for me in outlook). i know avast which i use has a outlook plugin but it seems so basic in features. im actually asking since a customer of mine asked for this specifically as to which i would recc for outlook since he gets more than 150+ emails a day as the owner of his company. since i rarely use outlook myself on a daily basis i have not done extensive testing in this area.

please no a vs b but discuss which works well for outlook (and possibly thunderbird as well) and why you would recc them and their features. once i narrow it down to a few ill start testing them for him on a freshly restored image and see how they work but id like to narrow it down a bit first. i know pcmag always says they test this during tests but im not sure i am a fan of their testing a lot of times. looking for more real world users to respond.

thanks!!

2. markusg

markusg Registered Member

what special funktions he needs?
    i think norton is ok for exsample

3. zfactor

he asked if any of them had more than just a spam + or - button. i think also he doesnt like the default message they add to the email when sending it. he asked about making a custom message where it says scanned by or whatever.. mainly he said are there any that offer more features and or better protection with outlook...i think avast is fine from my testing personally but i figured id ask here first before going nuts in testing them all out

4. markusg

markusg Registered Member

i think, its only my opinion, such plugins are useless., ok, you can perhaps sort out spam, but you can create rooles by yourself.
    and emails are scanned also by normal backround guard, there is no extra plugin needed

5. zfactor

which i why i never really worry about it myself.. but you know what they say the customer is always right so i try to appease them if after explaining that to them they still insist on what they want..

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Avg free, Avast free both scan emails either one works well.

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I think avast is one of the few that can scan ssl ,so that might be a consideration.Personally I would use spamihilator to filter spam rather than outlook.It also works well with avast and ssl accounts and outlook.

8. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Hi brocke, again you`ve cracked it in a few words.
    Reiterating yet again :-
    Confucius say -
    Man who tells all in few words, never write book.

I have used AVG in various version for years and found it scans all my Emails on receipt. I have never had a single problem, so the question is simple, use AVG 2011 or AVG 2012.

If Avast is as good, then use that, but I see no great sweat in pondering over this thread.

John

9. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Avast is the way to go regarding email scanning

work amazingly with thunderbird

:thumb:

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have found from my experience that the more an AV integrates into Outlook the more problems it causes (crashes, hangs, slowdown). The built in junk mail system in Outlook is sufficient once trained and any AV should pick up a virus. A need for anything greater would likely be better served with a third party anti-spam rather than what the security suites provide.

12. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i've had a couple of clients with similar desire for a +/- button in outlook itself instead of using something to filter before delivery (postini, mxlogic, etc)

fwiw, cloudmark desktopone works pretty well and the "basic" version is free. i don't know whether the EULA prohibits use on commercial/business machines, but it'd be worth a shot if they're down with it not being part of the antivirus product.

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

In Outlook 2010 (using currently, can't verify other versions without seeing them) there is a junk button right on the Home tab of the ribbon. Most suites create another tab so I can't call it any more efficient than what is built in. Kaspersky being the only exception I know of, they add their buttons to the home tab.

14. m0unds

m0unds Guest

well, that'd fine if the user in question has a low volume of spam getting past MTA or pre-MTA filtering. the junk button in outlook is of limited utility if you get a lot of spam, since it only adds the sender (which is usually spoofed anyway) to a block list.

in the case of zfactor's post, it sounds like the user wants filtering to take place in their client. relying on outlook's inbuilt spam filtering as the sole line of spam mitigation would probably drive anyone absolutely nuts.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.