Which are the top-tier AV programs ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by brjoon1021, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i can confirm that Hyundai makes top noch cars for now (they offer 3x as much extra stuff as german ones kreh*VW Golf*kreh, yet they are priced the same or even lower). But how it'll be in the future probably no one knows.
    Can't really say for Mazda, Honda or Toyota...

What was the thread topic eh? Top-tier cars? Eh, ups wrong thread:D

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Wow! This thread has really strayed off topic. I am partially to blame for that. At any rate, what's the saying..."If you can't beat'em, join'em." I just wanted to add that I have a lot of Korean friends that I met in business school. Actually, I spent a month in Seoul visiting them over the summer. Hyundai, and any other Korean compay for that matter, should be noted as a formidable competitor. Samsung for instance is kicking butt...even many of the dominant Japanese companies (previously thought of as unstoppable). There are some major problems in Korea (4 private families owning the top-4 companies, 2 companies controlling over 50% of the countries GDP, etc.); however, I would bet that the term "German engineering," which is synonymous with excellence, get significantly challenged, if not replaced by the term "Korean engineering."

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

They sure did wonders for the Skoda/Lamborghini quality, both were absolutely horrible (sorry RejZor) before Volkswagen/Audi.;)

German engeneering is as good or better as before, but it is a different market where even Mercedes/BMW can't just build the "perfect" car with little regard for development expenses, the car would be too expensive for their clientele, so just like everybody else, they cut jobs, production cost's, squeeze their subcontractors to get as cheap prices as possible for the parts they purchase etc etc and that has an effect on quality. They are in my opinion still extreamly capable, but you get too little for your money. A Volkwagen for example comes with almost no extra's & at a higher price than the competitors.:)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Wanna bet it? I have 11 years old Felicia, nothing fancy really, but it drives like a brand new car without any problems whatsoever. Thats what i call quality, not like grandfathers Golf IV that had major problems all the time, and all sorts of smaller stuff broke down. And it's only 7 years old car... If you want to say quality for a german car, that would be Golf 2. These little tanks were holding for 18 and more years.
    Friend in high school had one and it was as old as me actually, lol :D
    Bigger mass productions always degrade quality, thats a fact.
    Not really much different in software "arena".

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Good attitude, I like that! :cool:

What can those millions of flies tell to you, s...t is good! :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

What about japanese car builders? Top quality?

Read a test about technical quality;

1:Lexus
    2:Toyota
    Some other japanes brands

Far down the list Mercedes Benz

The fact that Lexus wins doesnt surprise me at all. I think I ve heard about MB quality problems but they live high on old rep as prestige-brand and also their last model is beautiful.

Could I afford it I would own a BMW 5-series.

Was this car-thing really the the subject for this thread? :)

Best Regards

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually Lexus is Toyota btw. It's Toyota's prestige brand mainly meant for US market :p Pretty much like AsRock is just a mainstream/budget division of ASUStek. Same company, different brand with different target public.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After reading this thread, I decided to buy an AV in stead of a VW. It's cheaper and safer. :)

9. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Eventually, you'll be deciding which AV you want for your VW!!!:blink:

10. Lawrence Connor

Lawrence Connor Registered Member

is this regarded as a useful review and info in this comparison?:

<snip>

I have tried a number including kaspersky personal last year

and more recently the bitdefender free version and trial of nod32

and am looking too get a paid version of what I hope to be the best AV

I also have used norton and mcafee in years past and don't want those now

the review @ link showed bitdefender top rated "gold" and then KAV "silver"

I guess I can get a lot of different answers from different people but

I am looking to get a new AV right now and want the best

thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions or advice

link to site listed on Rogue list removed - Detox

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

The link you had posted is to what is considered a "rogue" review and definitely not trustworthy.

12. Lawrence Connor

alright thank you, I know there
    are such things as bogus review sites
    but did not suspect this one was not a good one

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

You will find it listed here under rogue sites. The most basic explanation on the SpywareWarrior site is that the site is an

14. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Lawrence Connor,
    Detox's remarks are correct. I imagine that you were referring to the review at top10. Although I would follow Detox's advice and be cautious of relying on that site and I would never purchase anything through it. That site does have useful aspects about it. For example, if you want to get a general list of some of the top softwares within a particular category, then it can be helpful. For example, most people would not argue that the anti-virus programs that are listed as the top ten within the top10 site that you were at, in fact, contain what many would consider to be the best anti-virus programs on the market. The disagreement comes in the specific order in which the anti-virus programs are ranked. I hope this has helped.
    ***Disclaimer***
    I am not going out of my way to offer assistance merely because your avatar shows a beautiful girl and there is a slight chance that that girl is you.

15. Lawrence Connor

hehe
    i'm a soon to be 40 (May) geek white guy in USA
    not a japanese girl lol

thanks I got the idea kinda albeit after the fact sorta

16. dallen

dallen Registered Member

You shoulda lied to me and told me that you were a soon to be 19 year-old japanese girl who was uncontrolably attracted to balding, 31 year-old, slightly overweight American men. That would've made my day. As it stands, you're not my type.:) I hope that you found my suggestion helpful anyway.

17. Arup

Arup Guest

So from what I conclude in this discussion,anyone who is stupid enough to offer a genuinely multi featured good program free is relegated to the position of obscurity.

Its good to charge and charge good,free good advice too is never taken seriously.

18. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I must be missing something. Could you please tell me from where you drew this conclusion.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well you have to understand the philosophy of their work.
    For example avast! is mainly financed from corporate editions and some Professional versions that are bought by home users.

Home Edition is used as advertisement and/or promotion. It's free, users tend to like it alot (i know i do) and they often check what professional version offers.

Same for AntiVir. There are certain limitations but in general it's a full featured AV, also meant as promotion.

Users of free version are usually more commited to bug reports, virus submissions and stuff since they expect to give something in return for free program. Paid users just expect program to work and nothing more (most often it's like this). And with bigger userbase you have bigger chances of spotting bugs and new malware. ANd thats sometimes crucial for small or medium sized companies.

20. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

There is always other point of view about this kind of economy. The commitment to their way of life is outstanding. At least they will hope their children will continue the work their parents did before, where their employees are a part of this family.

The opposite of this, the quarter economy, has only short time profits in the main focus, this is faceless and unstable way to get business where employees and the whole society always lose. ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

21. Arup

Arup Guest

From what my eyes see and read,no free AV mentioned thats why.

22. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Man, has this thread gone gonzo! Top-tier to me means excellent protection that runs excellently on your machine! Simple enough!? Even the newest fella or gal can seperate the wheat from the chaff after lurking in this forum for a short period. :rolleyes:

23. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

AntiVir Classic offers better protection than many commercial or shareware A/V products that my eyes have seen. So there. :p BTW, as this is my one hundreth post, I'd just like to say one thing...man, I sure could go for a real Philly cheese steak right about now!

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Been years since my teeth have bit into a nice juicy and greasy Philly steak,you had to kill me with that,along with AntiVir,Avast is another superb multi featured and free offering.

25. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

Porsche is now 20% shareholder of VW

sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.