Which antivirus is better?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tru_Snoop, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might also consider

Mcafee

Panda

trend micro

f-prot

command

Dr.Web

All of these are good antivirus programs and are worth checking out.

bigc

2. KAV

KAV Guest

KAV if you dont mind about hidden stream data embedded.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If support is an issue, you'd be better of with Panda, F-Secure or MicroWorld's eScan (which has the best support I've seen in a KAV-based product).

Regards,
    Firecat

4. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    which version of the kav engine do they use?

5. Firecat

webmedic,

MicroWorld's eScan currently uses the Kaspersky 4.5 engine and the real time monitor component is put up as v4.5.0.58 in the registry. Also, it now has X-bases.

Regards,
    Firecat

6. webmedic

thank you what is xbases? I'm not interested in the kasperski 5.0 engine at all. I went to ice systems and saw nothing but complaints and issues with it from most users. Possibly when 6.0 comes out but for now I'm quite happy with e-scan and how it helps me to clean systems.

7. webmedic

I see from the other thread now what you were referring to. And yes I like the x-bases th4ey come in really handy to cross check with adaware and spybot. I get so many systems in with all kinds of garbage on them and all hte cross checking is good and helps allot twords making sure the system is squeaky clean.

8. Firecat

Unfortunately, newer versions of the free eScan no longer clean viruses from your system. You'll have to buy from the eScan product line for that. Actually, eScan commercial edition does not use 'Riskware' bases (though everything else is there), you'll have to enable it. Do ask me about it if you purchase eScan.

Regards,
    Firecat

BTW, F-Secure 2005 uses Kaspersky 6.0 engine. But, it seems that 6.0 is still in beta so I feel there might be some bugs?

9. webmedic

Yes know they dont. I still like to use it for refference and to help the cleaning along.

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

From most users? How would you possibly be able to make such an assumption, since most users doesn't even know about Ice systems forum (698 registered members). If i go to the Nod forum (or McAfee, Avast, etc.), i will also find users, many with complaints and issues, does that mean that most of their users are unsatisfied with Nod32 V2, i think not. :)

Back on topic:

I have personally used both Kaspersky & Nod (stopped in april when my subscribtion was cut almost a month short, and emails where not responded to, does this sound familliar, webmedic ;) ) over the last four years, both have have been running without any issue's at all, and i can only recommend both highly. I just personally prefer Kaspersky 5.0 at this point. :)

BTW. It's Kaspersky, not Kasperski. ;)

11. Don Pelotas

I seriously doubt that, Firecat. Kav 6.0 might go into beta in march/april, but knowing how software development usually takes a bit longer than anticipated i think that it's a stretch. Most likely a version 4.5 with F-Secure's own versionnumber, but hey i've been wrong before. ;) :D

12. webmedic

Doh yes Sorry about that I mispell it occasionally. I was looking for it on google the other day nad spelled it wrong to. There are allot of people with the last name of kasperski by the way.

As for the other. Well yes ice is not the whole of kaspersky. But I weem to find allot of people saying they prefer 4.5 over 5.0. That was my only point and for me it is enough to keep me away from it till 6.0 is in beta. I'll evaluate it then. For now I'm happy with escan since kasperski does not sell 4.5 anymore taht I know of. I may be wrong about that though.

13. Don Pelotas

Happens all the time. :)
    Fair enough. Yes, if you go to a forum like Ice Systems you are undoubtedly correct about that, however if you ask the friends, family and colleague's that i've recommended Kav to, they will all say that 5.0 is much better for them ( and believe me i hear about it, if something is wrong :D ), because the GUI is a lot easier to comprehend and that it feels lighter than 4.5.This is the main difference between 4.5 & 5.0. It's better for 95% of the users, and even for me in the 5% geek catagory. :D
    Should be a blast with regard to speed & resouces use, acording to one of the developers.
    No, you're right about that. You can continue to use 4.5 with a key if you wish though like with Nod (and can find a exe file of course);) you will still be supported, they just don't make it available on the homepage anymore, which is logical when you consider that 5.0 has been on the market for 8-9 month's. :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.