Which Antispyware apps are ''lean and mean''?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have tried out SO many security applications. And I actually have liked most of them. But almost all of them seem to suffer from one problem: they slow down my machine.

I actually liked all of the following applications but uninstalled due to resource usage: ewido, Spysweeper, and Counterspy.

Online Armor...I like this one too but it conflicted with my firewall, causing a slowdown.

Spyware Doctor...I liked this program more than all others but it gets too many false positives.

Anyway, NOD32 does it right. Same with Spyware Terminator. These products seem to protect well, but don't slow down my machine.

What others?

2. greencoconut

greencoconut Registered Member

i use NOD32 only. it catches alot of stuff, and anything it misses SSM blocks. both are lightweight

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware is light.

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

When I tried it, I didn't think so. For example, one SAS running process alone consumed more RAM on average than 2 processes combined for AVG Anti-Spyware on my machine......

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im not talking about ram usage, im referring to whether it slows down the machine or not.

but when i used it, i didnt find the ram usage to be higher than AVG (or was it ewido?), maybe i need to try again.

6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Please don't take what i'm saying the wrong way but your spending alot of time and effort on 'Spyware' which frankly, isn't the problem it used to be as most AV's do a very good job on spyware now.

Since i began using KAV based av's 3 years ago, spyware is non existent for me now. There's nothing wrong with using the free versions of say Superantispyware or AVG Antispyware for once in awhile on-demand scanning. I get the odd tracking cookie here and there but that's it.

Select a Firewall, AV and concentrate your efforts on the 3rd option towards an H.I.P.S. or Sandbox/Virtualization Application.

Your setup would be much better served:thumb:

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Well...I have a good FW in Comodo. I have an excellent AV in NOD32 that also takes care of a bunch of spyware too.

I have realtime protection and HIPS running with Spyware terminator.

I have a very good scanner/cleaner in Super Anti Spyware Free.

So I think my security suite is plenty strong considering that I don't have dangerous surfing habits. I just like to stay on top of what's new in PC Security. And if I can find a way to secure my system using less resources without sacrificing safety, that always a good thing.

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Man, that's good enough.

I think your going through the 'Testing Frenzy' that so many of us fall into until we say 'Why Do I Have 6 Spyware Scanners Installed'?. Enough already!.

Just move on to some other areas like Recovery/Imaging, Sandbox/Virtualization and my next venture now that Vista is out, ' Linux'!.

9. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Agreed 100%.

Every couple of months I run an AntiSpyware scan and the only thing that is found are some tracking cookies. Talking about a period of more than 2 years.

Anti-spyware is an anachronism (if that's the word I'm looking for:rolleyes:)

firewalled router
    KAV 6
    SSM paid
    lookNStop (for outbound control)

Less is......oh, what the heck

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I went through the "testing frenzy". At one point I had 8 or 9 security applications on my PC. No more. I feel secure now.

I think I keep coming to this forum more out of habit now and because I do think it is fun to try out new applications and to continue learning. But boy, there for a while I was paranoid about PC security. I would have nightmares about it. No longer though.

I am more than likley going to stick with what I use now for a while. When Comodo releases their firewall with full HIPS, I will probably wait a few months for them to iron out the wrinkles and then upgrade ot it. But overall, I'm fairly happy with my set up.

The one thing I am always on the lookout for though is lighter applications to replace the ones I have. My PC is getting older and resource usage can be an issue.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I too think i finally hit paydirt on a perfect enough combination for security.

KIS6 finally put matters over the mark for my most used system. I even was able to combine Kerio 2.15 with it again after briefly having a play with COMODO. Kaspersky 6 install warned of possible circumstances with COMODO but compliments Kerio nicely.

System Safety Monitor (full) but a previous version because the latest updates don't always spell stability, satisfaction, or completely solve issues for me. SSM at the version i stopped with completes a full circle of behavior analysis and control for my system. Xp Professional

Snoopfree is another little bonus for keyboard/screen intrusion patrol.

Process Guard (free) more than takes up slack where Cyberhawk and Launch Monitor left off, both are excellent HIPS in their own right but not really necessary for me, PG is. LoL

I keylog myself in real-time and also log monitor in real-time every process used on my PC that serves as a running inventory, which helps to pinpoint probs if something weird happens to creep up.

On-Demand are A2-Squared/AVG 7.5 AS/SUPERAntiSpyWare. I allow AVG "guard" to start-up and run "resident".

RKUnhooker 3.20 as needed, and you really couldn't ask for a better detector to uncover the unknowns or poke into places to find in-line hooks better than this baby can. It's a real valuable commodity to any windows XP computer. Assists my testings rootkits/malwares.

Finally, also for testing both new programs and malwares/rootkits and also On-Demand is Power Shadow, version 2.6 workd for me, a magnificiently conceived idea that is finally surfaced & taken form in an app that will safely dump your shadowed session upon reboot as if it never happened in the first place. No reboot needed to enter shadow mode, simply press START! and you're covered.

Now the best part.
    All that and working wonderfully "light" on a 4 year old 1250 ghz, 512 MB , 30 GB hard drive that is on it's second power supply unit. Not bad apps and indeed "lean and mean" as in FORMIDABLE protection!

12. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The amount of memory used (unless enormous) does not typically affect your system's performance as Windows swaps out unused memory and swaps it back in when it is needed. So essentially very "little" of SUPERAntiSpyware is actually held in memory if other applications need more memory - when you activate it to scan, of course, memory is used then to perform the scanning tasks.

In the case of anti-spyware, anti-virus, HIPS and these types of applications, it would seem to me that the primary concern is does it slow down the overall performance of your system.

13. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I am very much enjoying the combination of SAS free and Spyware Terminator with HIPS enabled. I have noticed no noticeable slowdown with these two applications (though I wish the free version of SAS would permit me to turn the splash screen off).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.