Where's my archive gone?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by stapp, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

When you use programs sometimes you learn new things and it helps you understand them better.
    When I went to update my archive, big surprise, it wasn't in the update snapshot items. Checked external was plugged in as I only do that for updating, yes it was in.
    Then I noticed the drive letter was different for the external in "my computer". I had been using a usb device to run portable firefox, clamwin etc to see what they were like, so when I plugged in the external drive it assigned a different drive letter and so FD didn't recognise it.
    Went into FD tools/options/archives and scrolled to the new assigned one and archive, all was right again -achive updated.

Just thought I'd share my learning experience:)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That can cause problems on several different levels, and is indeed something to be aware of.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The archive folder that is defined in the options of FDISR, is responsible for showing archives on the main screen of FDISR.
    If you store archived snapshots in another folder, which is OK, you won't see your archived snapshots on the main screen of FDISR, which is logical.

It doesn't matter were archived snapshots are stored, but if you want to see them on the main screen, you have to move these archived snapshots to the archive folder of options or you have to change the archive folder in options.
    Using the archive folder of options is of course the most recommended method and you will see all your archived snapshots.
    Don't forget to turn ON your external harddisk before opening FDISR, otherwise you won't see them either, if you use that harddisk for archiving snapshots.

If you have a frozen snapshot and you move any archived snapshot to an empty Freeze Storage Folder and rename that snapshot in to Freeze Storage.arx, you can boot directly in this archived snapshot. This is of course a trick, not normal use of FDISR. But this trick makes any archived snapshot bootable, if you have a frozen snapshot.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

As far as I understand things Erik, I have 2 usb ports at the front of my computer, and I always put my external in the bottom one called "L" by my system, and this is where FD set up the archive when I first did it.

However, as I said, I recently used the same port for my usb stick to try portable apps for the first time.

What I didn't realise is that when I put my external drive in this time, my system would give it another drive letter, it has never done this before and I have used the same port lots of time. Could it be that I used the port to try firefox, connecting to the internet etc?

Anyway the main this is, it taught me HOW to view an archived snapshot when I couldn't see it, and also windows can change drive letters for external devices and to be aware of this in the future.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Windows does indeed change drive letters and I don't know why, because there is an option in Windows to change drive letters and it is supposed to keep it that way.

Once I wanted to assign the letter "X" to my CD/DVD-writer. After reboot, it changed it back to the first available letter, which isn't normal.
    Since then I assign only the next available letter in alphabetic order, no matter what device it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.