Where to start

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lordbest, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordbest

lordbest Registered Member

I want to switch from Windows to Linux. There is so much information out there that I am swamped. Is there a concise guide on how to use Linux?

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/

This is ubuntu centric and also download ubuntu manual from http://ubuntu-manual.org/

This is if you decide on Ubuntu or Ubuntu based distro. For best experience in Ubuntu, install MINT which comes with everything installed so no need for tweaks etc. DVD is ideal but CD is fine too.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Also keep a dual-boot option in mind because you may encounter some sites that "work best" with Internet Explorer. (Of course, people very skilled in Linux may recommend Wine, but I think you still need the programme. Not too sure about this. Anyone?)

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I prefer to virtualise Windows using Virtualbox. I've found IE with Wine unreliable.

Cheers, Nick

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

dual boot is always best option in case your one distro wont work ie linux windows or mac.......etc you get another option there to boot from please wait for 2 -3 days i am putting a dual boot tutorial with screen shots there just give me some time

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Best way is probably to just jump in and start trying some distros and learn as you go. Plenty of help here in the forum from experienced members. Try the live cd's first then when you're ready, try installing one to HD. Ask questions as you go. Every distro has their own forums also, and most often you can find your answers by searching those too. But it's mostly a learn by doing experience.

7. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

OP, probably the biggest thing to get used to will be the package management system (I know it was for me when I started using Linux full time a number of years ago). All extra software that you install should ideally be installed from the repositories. You can access them in Ubuntu by going to Applications --- > Ubuntu Software Center. If you try to download .tar.gz files from random places on the Internet, you will be lost as a newb (since they usually require compiling). Thus it is best to stick with the official repos.

Most other things are very similar to any other OS with a GUI. You have essentially the same browsers, e-mail clients, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.