Where to specify sFTP target?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by nlmichaeldam, Mar 15, 2015.

1. nlmichaeldam

nlmichaeldam Registered Member

Backup & Recovery 15 Home's feature list states 'Backup and Restore to or from FTP/sFTP'. I explicitly need this. However when I setup a backup (backup to vd, file based) I don't get the option to select an (s)FTP target.
    How do I backup/restore over FTP?
    Cheers,

Michael

2. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

3. nlmichaeldam

Hi Moderator,
    Thanks for coming back on this. Unfortunately sFTP had nothing to do with mapping drives. In fact the whole point of using sFTP is that for security reasons I don't want to use mapped drives. That functions has to be there as it's clearly advertised. I must be doing something wrong. But the option to specify FTP credentials for a target and specify that target as the backup destination is not to be found. I'm stunned.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In the Hard Disk Manager User Manual, see: "Backing up files to an FTP/SFTP server", "FTP sites options".

Also from the Manual:

Known Issues on FTP/SFTP
    1. You need to check out yourself Windows Firewall or programs of this kind let our program work with the
    required port (21 by default).
    2. You cannot restore data selectively (with Restore Wizard) from an FTP/SFTP server.
    3. You can browse an FTP server in the passive mode only.
    4. Parallel access to several FTP/SFTP servers is limited - only one password for all servers is available.

I didn´t check the B&R manual, perhaps the same information is in it. All these programs are really the same, with different options enabled in each one.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. nlmichaeldam

The point is that I need explicitly not to have drives mapped. When the vault is mapped to a drive it's vulnerable to randsomeware (which encrypts files it can find on the file system whether local or on a network drive) and other threads. Can have backups exposed to threats like that. In addition SSH backup will work from literally anywhere provided the ports are open on the network you're on which is virtually everywhere since SSH is needed is used so often. Mapping drives one often can not as the ports required are often closed as they are a security thread.

I take my loss I should have tried the SW first. Then I would have also know that selective recovery is not possible. Duplicati which I use can. But traversing through the backups is not easy. One reason to move to Paragon. Will stick to Duplicati.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.