Where to report a threat not detected by NOD

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by justsomeguy, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

Hello,

I did submit the two files to both Jotti's online malware analysis and to VirusTotal. I have two files, nvsvcd.exe, which neither scan reported to be infected, and smss.exe, which a few virus scanners have identified on both scans (as W32/Methodbod.gen). However the two files have the same creation date so I decided to delete both.
    By Googling I meant that I looked for these two filenames for some background information on my pest. ;) Here's a pretty close match I found: http://info.ahnlab.com/securityinfo/virus_view_eng_new2.jsp?SEQ_NO=3667#2 (I looked for IRCBot in the Eset Threat Encyclopaedia but the link seems to be broken: see Win32/IRCBot.OO on this page http://www.eset.com/threat-center/pedia/w.htm). Then amongst the results I saw this Wilders thread as well.

Regards,
    SA

edit:broken link

2. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

Come on guys,

why give ESET all the "mud"? Remind one thing: when detected, it was not submitted immediately.
    That is something what happens to us all the time? OR do we all submit everything immediately because we know for sure "it is something ugly"?
    Als long as we don't do so, we cannot blame Eset for having its priorities. Otherwise, apply for a job, because you're a genius with a very special skill :D

To be honest: I am getting a little bit tired of therse discussions.
    It is not just about this particular posting ;) , but in general, because I see this kind of messages quite often.

With summerly greetings from Holland :)

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

anyway ESET makes its best to add signatures these days. Really huge updates and AH updates ... so good for them. :) :thumb:

4. ShunterAlhena

To make my point clear: I'm still fully behind NOD32 and retained my "fanboy" status (as someone called me in a discussion a couple of months earlier). I do think that Eset having priorities is a good thing; I'd rather have myself protected against a deadly strain of Ebola than a hundred variants of chicken-pox. I'm positive that the samples will be added as soon as manpower is available. I only expressed my wish that this was done earlier, that's all.

Summerly greetings from Hungary :)

5. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I assume that I am one of the ones (if not the one) you are addressing. The point isn't that the user failed to submit it, but that detection wasn't added, even after Eset already knew about it:

I do have a very special skill: I work my ass off in whatever I do, and I am as persistent as a schizophrenic, starving, angry, rabid rottweiler on PCP and running downhill with a strong tailwind. (I blame credit the caffeine.) I also don't believe in telling a customer that "Our product failed you, but that's just because it wasn't a priority". I believe in saying "We screwed up, we're very sorry, and we'll try to prevent it from happening again."

As has been said many times over, if Eset doesn't have adequate personnel to handle the malware traffic, they need to hire more people. Period.

If they added detection after the fact, and they knew about it before the detection failure, it means they should have added detection to begin with. They didn't. It's not the end of the world, it doesn't mean NOD32 is a bad product, it doesn't mean that Eset is mean-spirited or horrible or negligent or deserving of scorn. But it does mean that they could and should have done better, all excuses notwithstanding.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It apparently isn't even a new signature, just an "update of the generic signature" so I guess one could argue "adjusmtent of the generic detection" could have been done sooner. However, I do take the point about priorities and bigger fish to fry, but adjustments/updating of existing code shouldn't take that long, or does it?

7. justsomeguy

justsomeguy Registered Member

UPDATE:
    I just checked that file again after a NOD update and it found it as a variant of Win32/Medbot.BD trojan

I am happy to see that they did something about it. NOD is still the best AV I've used and I've used almost all of them. Good to know they are listening to their customers as well.

Thank you eset

8. ShunterAlhena

The files still ain't detected for me. Anyway, soon now, I am sure :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.