Where to put Acronis Secure Zone ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 2harts4ever, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Registered Member

Good evening,

I have just ordered a new 250 GB External Hard Drive along with a retail version of Acronis True Image 10.

I intend to utilize the External Hard Drive to store my images created by Acronis True Image.

After reading countless posts and scanning the 'beginner guide' o_O I am under the impression that the 'Acronis Secure Zone' must be placed on my current Internal Hard Drive where my operating system is located or I won't be able to access the 'Acronis Recovery Manager'.

Is this assumption correct on my part?

Also, I am under the impression that I don't need to make or utilize an 'Acronis Recovery CD' because using the Acronis Recovery Manager will allow me to restart my computer by hitting 'F11'.

If this is correct will I be able to access stored Acronis TI images on my External Drive by using the hitting 'F11' method?

And, am I correct in assuming that I can save my Acronis images to another backup location (like my External Hard Drive) other than the Acronis Secure Zone?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You need the Secure Zone (SZ) to use the Acronis Recovery Manager (ARM). If you don't want to use the ARM you don't need the SZ. The reason it should be on an internal HD is that the SZ is a partition and it should be available at boot time or the system goes looking for it. If it is on a removable USB drive then it is never found. Creating a SZ does not modify the MBR but enabling the ARM does.

Consider this scenario. Your HD has died and you are going to restore an image from another device. Hitting F11 will do absolutely nothing since TI on the dead HD is now unavailable. Create the recovery CD and test it; it is what you need if you have to replace a HD.

Yes. Many of us do not setup and use the SZ or the ARM at all. TI10 also has backup locations which operate in a similar fashion to the SZ. Remember that archives in the SZ and I believe backup locations are maintained by TI with a set of rules. You cannot copy them to another device like you can if the archive is in a regular folder. You also have to use TI to perform operations such as delete on them.
    I recommend you get your feet wet without the SZ or ARM or Backup Locations and then as you gain some experience decide if they would be any benefit to you.

3. 2harts4ever

Hi seekforever,

I appreciate your rapid response and for having patience while answering my questions which to you must be fairly routine questions.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

2harts4ever a suggestion after you create a "backup" cd test it by actually making a backup/image to your externnal drive.
    This will tell you if the "Linux based cd" drivers will see your external driver.
    Make sure you read the "Please read before you post" thread also, for some work arounds that are sometimes needed.
    Spend some time reading the threads, I have found it to be a good learning tool reading the threads posted on this forum.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum, not only for true image but windows and Linux. They can help with almost anything. ( and it's free !!)

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can quite freely copy backups from Backup Locations, manually delete them, etc. They are normal files in normal directories. However, the rules (in a *.cfg file) cannot be simply moved from one directory to another. To create, edit or delete Backup Locations (and the associated rules) one should do this form within ATI.

7. 2harts4ever

Good morning dbknox, DwnNdrty and all,

Once again I appreciate your responses and the information and suggestions you passed my way.

Your reponse
    makes good sense to me, although I have to admit I don't have a clue what is meant by the "Linux based cd" drivers.

Not to beat a 'dead horse to death', but after doing this will I be able to use what is on this image on my external drive just as if it were the original on my internal drive?

I intend to keep reading as much as I can on Acronis so I have a basic understanding of what it can do before I actually use it.

The main thing I want to accomplish by using Acronis True Image is simply manually making a weekly complete image of my system and storing it on my 'external' drive, in case my 'internal' drive dies on me someday.

Am I correct in my thinking, after reading other posts, that if my Internal drive dies, that the image I stored on my External drive will allow me to restore my system right there on the external drive and use it as though it was actually my internal drive?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

8. 2harts4ever

Morning shieber,

Our responses must have passed each other this morning.

I appreciate you passing on the additional information.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

9. shieber

When booting from the rescue CD (and choosing Full Mode when doing so), the CD boots up with the Linux OS. The drivers that are loaded from the CD are those available fro Linux -- sometimes these are up-to-date enough for some hardware.

When booting rom the CD and choosing Safe Mode, a DOS OS is used and the CD relies on the PC BIOS to work with the hardware.

When yo do a backup from within Windows, the woindwos drivers are used as the Win OS is being used.

When you start a restore from within Win, the system reboots and when it reboots it boots up in Linux.

sh

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Thanks for the correction.

11. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

2harts4ever,
    It is strongly suggested that you digest the contents the thread "Secure zone & Startup Recovery Manager" before you decide to use or not use these options. Link can be found on the "Useful forum Threads" below. Acronis recommends that the Secure Zone NOT be placed on an external drive. If the SZ is placed on an external drive and drive removed, your system may not boot.

Backup and restores will be quicker when using an internal drive but functionally the external serves the same function . External drives should not be connected 24/7. Connect only when used. If you have a power surge, you don't want to lose both drives at the same time.

12. 2harts4ever

Morning GroverH,

Thanks for the added information.

This is starting to be a little more complicated than I thought it would be when I ordered the software.

I will keep reading.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

13. DwnNdrty

I didn't see anyone address this part so here goes:
    The Image that is stored on your external drive has to go through the Recover (as Acronis calls it) process so that it can be restored to an internal hard drive (not the one the Image is on) before it will become like the original from which it was made.

14. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

Ahhhhhhh ... now it is starting to make sense!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

15. DwnNdrty

In fact you should always test an Image by doing an actual restore with the bootable Rescue cd to a spare hard drive, not to your present system drive.

16. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

Now I am entering the 'confused' state again... lol

Let me see if I have this straight:

(1) I make an Image with Acronis TI and put it on my External (Spare) hard drive.

(2) Then I will be able to run an actual restore from this image right on my External Hard drive with my bootable Rescue CD to see if it is working?

(3) If the test is successful will the image I created before I restored it still be good or will I have to make another one?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

17. DwnNdrty

You have to restore the Image to a spare internal drive or to a drive which you have to eventually put inside the computer to check if it will boot like the original. Of course this means also that you have to remove the original or just disconnect it. This may be a good place to introduce another concept - removable drive trays like the one in this link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121106
    This allows you to remove and insert a hard drive without opening up the computer case.

The Image on the external drive will always be there until you delete it. The act of doing the restore does not change the Image or delete it.

18. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

Ahhhhhh .... starting to make sense again.... lol

The Newegg removable 'drive trays' link has gotten my attention. I intend to check it out in earnest shortly.

I have purchased items from Newegg before and have always been satisfied with their service. In fact my external drive and my retail copy of Acronis TI 10 were both shipped out of their Memphis warehouse this morning via UPS so I should be checking them out within a few days.

Thanks for your patience with my questions.

Regards,

2harts4ever

19. DwnNdrty

It will all make sense eventually. :cool: One further point about those drive trays. It conists of two parts. There's the rack that is installed permanently into the computer (needs an available 5.25" bay) and then there is the part that holds the hard drive and slides into the rack. You can buy an extra one or more of this latter part so you don't have to keep taking the drive out of it to install another drive. Just be sure you buy the extra tray (if you plan to have extras) that goes with the rack.

20. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

I appreciate the added information about the drive trays.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

21. shieber

If you want tokeep it simpler, forget about using a Secure Zone and just do full backups instead of incremetnals or differentials.

As suggested, once you are comfortable with making backups, consider using the Managed Backup Locations but only after reading the approrpriate instructions (and Grover Guides). The Backup Locations can make backing up, and managing the backups virtually completely automated

The SZ is really of value only if you have only one Hard disk -- it allows you to save backup images to the same harddidsk. Much better to have another drive instead.

22. 2harts4ever

Morning shieber,

Thanks for sharing your views on use of the Secure Zone.

I will receive the Program tomorrow so hopefully I will get a crack at trying it either this weekend or next week when I am on vacation.

Just as you suggested, I am leaning towards not using the SZ, and just storing the backups on my External Hard drive for the time being.

From what I have read using the Secure zone & Startup Recovery Manager can cause problems with boot up if you aren't computer savy ... and believe me .... I'm not! ....lol

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

23. 2harts4ever

Morning all,

One more question about the installation of Acronis TI 10.

After reading responses on this thread and several other ones I do not want to have anything to do with (1) Acronis Secure zone and (2) Startup Recovery Manager. I want to keep the program as simple as possible.

So, my question is, when I am installing Acronis TI what type of installation do I select to ensure neither one of the above are installed?

The program is supposed to arrive today so I am just trying to tie up loose ends before getting my feet wet ... (or drowning ....lol).

I'll check back in tonight after work.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

24. DwnNdrty

It's been a long time since I installed True Image, but I believe that the standard installation of the software does not ask you to create the SZ. It is done, if needed, after the software is installed. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is an item in the Menu. And the SRM feature only rears its (ugly) head when one is creating the SZ. In any case just read each window carefully during the installation.

And in any software installation I always choose the Custom method since I like to see what options are being presented or forced on me. LOL.

25. 2harts4ever

Hi DwnNdrty,

I appreciate the follow-up as usual and your valued advice.

My external hard drive and the Acronis TI 10 arrived this morning and I am happy to say the External is up and running. Just plugged it in and the computer recognized it right off. It was FAT32 so I converted it to NTFS and I am all ready in that respect.

Now if my installation of ATI goes that smooth I will be one happy soul.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.