Where to install Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Major_Disaster, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster Registered Member

Hello,

I have my 250GB Harddrive partitioned into the following (using Acronis Disk Director)
    C Drive 50GB (Windows + Programmes)
    F Drive 70GB (Files + Documents)
    80 GB (No drive letter) (Acronis Secure Zone - containing images of F drive)
    G Drive (empty partition).

I want to reinstall windows on my C drive. I have all my Acronis products (disk director and true image) installed on my C drive. I have enabled and like the use of the options to boot into these programmes at boot time. I want to know what will happen when i reinstall windows (and format my c drive - deleting acronis)

Will this completely mess with the system i have at the moment? Will the boot options not work?

Basically, i want to know whether i should uninstall the acronis products from the C drive and reinstall them on F so they dont get deleted. Or do they have to be installed on the OS partition?

Thanks for any help

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Regardless of where you put the ATI application files, ATI still requires the registry in order to operate. If you install on a non system partition ATI will not work if you subsequently reinstall your system.

Note that installing on the system partition is not normally a problem as you can always boot from the rescue media.

F

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Major Disaster,
    I installed ATI on my system partition [C:] together with winXPproSP2 + MS Applications + Third Party Applications.
    My personal files, emails, email-address-books are on my data partition [D:]

You can recover your system partition [C:], using ATI while you are in Windows.
    After running the recovery wizard of ATI, where you choose the tib.file and clicking the "Proceed" button, ATI will verify the restoration (if there is one) and then ATI will ask you to reboot.
    During the reboot ATI will continue the restoration.
    After clicking the "OK"-button ATI will reboot in the restored Windows.
    I've done this so many times without any failure.
    Of course you can also recover the system partition [C:] using the Acronis Rescue CD.

I only use the Acronis Rescue CD when ATI isn't available on my system partition.
    For instance, when I wiped out my harddisk with zeroes, I need my Rescue CD to restore my whole harddisk and that also worked without any failure.

4. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster Registered Member

Sorry for my slow response (away from pc)

Thanks guys, so just install with Windows and when i wipe it just reinstall or use the Rescue Media disk right?

Thanks

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes. Think about it this way, if you install a new HD that has absolutely nothing on it, you need a way to get your OS and data restored. The Rescue CD has an OS and the TI program on it and will do the restore to the bare disk.

Before you do any wiping, you should make sure your Rescue CD boots, TI runs, and you are able to see your images wherever you have stored them. You should also Validate the image from the Rescue CD version so you know it can be read properly.

Ideally, you would do a test restore to another HD just in case there is a problem and you would have any datafiles not available anywhere else like photos, documents, spreadsheets, etc that you created independently backed up by a different method until you have confidence in TI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.