Where to get for research?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by root9, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root9

root9 Registered Member

I would really like to start specializing is security. So for someone like myself needing to get started, where can I 'safely' get copies of the most commonly found trojans/backdoors? I would like to setup a lab/research environment (not connected to the net!)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

root9,

Since we don't allow the posting of links to malware or any form of malicious site, don't expect specific answers along the lines of "This site has the best malware."

If you are truly interested in researching such things then just do web searches for the various popular named trojans and you'll find them. As for what malware sites provide "safe malware", well that's just something you'll have to discover with time and experience. If you're going to play in that area, expect problems along the way.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Specializing in security is not done by doing research on live malware. Malware is just software. So if you're a great programmer and if you can create decent software, you're a qualified security expert that area.

Security is in people, in processes, in awareness. Nothing else :mad:

4. root9

root9 Registered Member

LowWaterMark,
    ok. Understandable rule. I was just hoping to avoid the 'problems along the way' if possible by getting the stuff from a research type environment.

meneer,
    I assume you think I'm some kid looking to cause trouble by your little angry face there. In short, security is in people, processes and awareness. I agree. But thats certianly not it. I've yet to meet a programmer that actually follows good security guidelines all the time. So as someone in a network admin role, or a security analyst, doing penetration testing and so forth, you certianly WOULD need hands on experience researching this 'malware'. Learn how to detect and stop it by learning how it works. from your post: 'so if you're a great programmer and if you can create decent software, you're a qualified security expert that area' uh. yeah. right. You are way off.

:p

and you 've made me late because I had to reply! hehe. Have a nice weekend :D

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

If you really want to get the common & many uncommon trojans/viruses etc

then have a spare computer, install a P2P program with no firewall or anti virus & connect to the net

Just leave it connected and they will find you, very quickly

That is why we are so adamant at advising proper protection

6. root9

root9 Registered Member

I know. I've had to clean my inlaws machine several times before finally getting around to installing a firewall for them (kid uses kazaa). But like I said before, I was hoping to find a trustworthy/safe place to get them for research/study purposes. I really want to setup a lab environment to learn more about them. I'm a geek like that :D

I know that probably sounds funny, a 'safe' place to get 'unsafe' software! hehe. Oh well. I'll just have to take my chances.

thanks for the reply though.

p.s. just occured to me that even if I set myself up to purposefully get infected I won't get all that I need. For example RATs have a client and server piece. I won't get the client. Plus, I'd be a bad internet citizen if I just put an unprotected host out there to be exploited... and probably contribute to spamming and/or ddos.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

looks like you answered your own question

8. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

There's no 'probably' about it: you'd be zombied so fast you'd make George Romero's (?? - Day of the Living Dead, etc.) head spin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.