Where to download Windows 8?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

edit: I've got a torrent going. Hopefully this works out but I wish I could get it easily from an official source.

So I managed to get a key for Windows 8 but I have no clue where to actually download the damn thing. I tried the installer but it asks me to purchase it, which I don't need to do... because I have a key.

Ideas?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

if you bought it through the upgrade assistant they usually provide a link to where it can be downloaded. you open the link and enter your CD key

3. I assume you mean the MSDN download? That would be here: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/

Otherwise AFAIK Windows is not and has never been distributed as shareware. If you bought a copy somewhere and only got a key, my instinct is to say you were ripped off.

(I'd love to be proven wrong though. IMO it's high time MS made their distribution model a little friendlier.)

Edit: wait, upgrade assistant? This is for the upgrade version? I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, N/M.

4. garry35

maybe i jumped the gun a bit, but i assumed it was for the upgrade version :( as far i was aware the FULL ie non upgrade hadnt been released for retail yet

5. Hungry Man

I didn't buy it through the assistant - the key was gifted to me.

@GJ,

There are no downloads listed there for me as I don't have MSDN.

There used to be freely available Vista/7 downloads (though not easy to find) that would let you active post-install.

6. I got my Windows 8 ISO downloads offered through MS DreamSpark Premium for AI, but the Secure DLM won't decrypt the downloads (I get an error). So basically I'm in the same boat as you.

7. garry35

which version are you trying to dl. if its not unique i can pass on the link provided to me for re downloading the windows 8 pro, assuming its wont cost me .................pm me if u want

8. Hungry Man

9. garry35

on looking i cant find the email with the link to re download....sorry

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. Hungry Man

Unfortunately that doesn't answer the question - it assumes I bought the key and can use that upgrader. I tried that and it doesn't allow me to enter a key, only to purchase one.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would assume you will have to pay to upgrade in this particular situation.

13. Hungry Man

Right, considering that I already have a key I'd like to avoid paying needlessly.

I'll stick to this torrent for now but if anyone comes up with an easier download/ online installer that'll allow me to enter the key let me know.

Unfortunately MS didn't make it too easy.

14. garry35

15. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

16. Hungry Man

@Garry,

That looks very promising. Thank you.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.