Where should I start from to secure my new system?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by alphabeta1379, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphabeta1379

alphabeta1379 Registered Member

Hi,
    i found yr forum through google search for "hardening windows 7".
    I've been surfing since '98, initially with windows '98, no firewall, no av, then with NIS and ZAP, and later winth windows XP, same more or less security software.
    I lost 3 systems because of hijacking the 2 of them I checked with microsoft forums and they diagnosed longstanding and ongoing hijacking. They consulted to format my hard drive but I had heard that if infection reached bios, then format is useless, nevertheless, after a while both systems were destroyed, had black out and manufacturers said they no longer support them. Local services said also it's cheaper to buy new ones.
    I recently bought a new pc, cheap that is, as I can't afford to buy constantly computers, it was a last item on a shop's shelf, opened to exhibit to the customers the specfic model yet considred new, with its warranty and all.
    It is a windows xp sp3, and I am glad it is so, since it proved to have a biohd-8 error (hard disk and/or motherboard) together with a trojan downloader (hiloti) in cyberlink which is a pre-installed program that returns each time I perform destructive recovery through dvd (which I prepared immediately when opened the box, previously to connect to the net for the first time.)
    I presume that one must never purchase an opened pc from a store, always a sealed one in its box.
    But, I took the opportunity to practice hard disk format for the first time in my life, given that with the recovery manager of this pc and the option to prepare an os dvd it's much easier than in the past.
    I was avoiding to do so before, as I think it was necessary to add drivers etc except of the os itself and I thought I wouldn't manage to do it correctly.
    Yesterday I discovered a bloodhound in cyberlink and another in system volume with my NIS.
    Lots of other trojans with NIS, malwarebytes, gdata linux scan outside the windows etc.
    I try to get my money back from manufacturer due to this biohd-8 error and buy a decent pc with windows 7 as the 8, I do not think I'll manage also, my desktop will not have this touch screen or whatever it is. I'll keep my actual screen as I said I'm not at all a rich person.
    I study a little trying to achieve (also for the first time in my life) to surf safely.
    For now I just have those vpns but do not think they did much.
    If one starts from scratch what does he have to secure?
    The phone line, for instance?
    I have broadband and a cheap router (fritz) which is supposed to have also a firewall.
    Given that my internet connection was purchased with my name and surname (it's obligatory by law locally) is that a way that interested persons could locate my IP or not?
    Does visiting personal pages (such as emails, bank accounts etc) with real name and surname on them, give the opportunity to interested persons to locate a user, his machine, inplant a trojan and thus control its system?
    Is it a way to avoid such intrusions to avoid such pages?
    If possible please answer my questions, that is what one has to do before to harden its os for to get absolute security.
    For the last 14 years when I asked this question about absolute security in the net I was insulted and abused as if I asked the sky.
    I'll understand if you share this opinion.
    Tks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
  2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Blue text hurts my eyes also. I tried to read it, and gave up.

4. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I'd suggest you take a look at some other threads. This one has a good overview of computer security/privacy options:
    Securing Your PC and Data

There are other threads with some suggestions for applications you should installed. Again, without an idea of what your computer specs and preferences are it's hard to give you a detailed answer.

What operating system will this computer be running? I see windows XP & 7 mentioned in your post. Can you be more specific?

Do you plan to stick with the default Windows firewall? This is important because firewall rules for Windows firewall do not easily translate to other firewalls like Comodo.

What router/modem are you running for your wireless network? Routers encryption options are different depending on router type/model.
    Example: Net-Gear (model #) with WPA2-AES.

What browser do you intend to use? Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc. This is important because browsers have different extensions/plug-ins/add-ons that you should consider using.

Overall though it's best that you read through the threads. A lot of the applications you'd be suggested to use have been discussed and you may need to test out a couple to find one that matches your level of expertise. I say this because not all applications have a smooth learning curve and while you might get better protection from one of these harder to use applications. If you can't configure it properly, your less secure.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

alphabeta1379,

I'm by no means an expert, so please take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I run very little if any security software and virtually never get infected, unlike several years ago when I used tons of programs for 'security' (Spyware Doctor, McAfee antivirus, SpySweeper etc.) I'm a fan of imaging though, for me it's a must.

You don't mention your country/situation ?

'hijacking' ? What sort of infection are we talking about ?

Bios infections are very uncommon. Destroyed systems ? I'm sorry, I don't get it. Harddrives can start to malfunction after enough wear and tear, but that takes a lot.

Also, I'm not sure what to think of that 'bio-hd8' error or that trojan downloader in Cyberlink. System error, false positives.
    Did you buy it from a shady shop ?

And those other infections ??

All these things shouldn't happen. So that begs the question, what DID happen ?

VPNs ? Did you use a trustworthy VPN ? There are plenty of questionable VPNs, personally I wouldn't trust the free ones. And are we talking about real VPNs or free proxies ?

About the 'interested persons': are you a real target ? The average person will most likely never be a target of hackers.

If you want to rely on the firewall of the router, make sure you're it is turned on and configured properly. Sometimes it's possible to access routers remotely, so you might want to check that out, including the possibility of automatic firmware upgrades.

'Given that my internet connection was purchased with my name and surname (it's obligatory by law locally) is that a way that interested persons could locate my IP or not?
    Does visiting personal pages (such as emails, bank accounts etc) with real name and surname on them, give the opportunity to interested persons to locate a user, his machine, inplant a trojan and thus control its system?'

Too many variables to answer those questions, including your location on this planet and if anyone has both the capability and the motive to hack your system.
    If your computer is properly secured and you use 'common sense' it most likely won't be a problem.

Opened vs. sealed box ? I don't know if that matters if things go awry at the manufacturer !

When buying a new computer I always prefer to start from scratch, formatting, partitioning, installing the OS and drivers, software etc.
    It shouldn't be necessary, though.

There are many approaches to security. This forum should be sufficient to help you get started.

The link Techwiz gave is a very good place to start.

6. alphabeta1379

Thank you for answering my thread.
    I read an older thread in yr forum about hardening windows 7.
    At first I tried to print it for to have it handy always, or in due time.
    But my printer did not let me to do so.
    It is the already 8 years or more old printer I used while surfing with the older systems, the "destroied" ones. I lost the previous to it Epson printer, the very first I ever used, also showing strange autonomous behaviour.
    And I am sure this actual printer has suffered some kind of instrusion too, while could not specify what or correct it. I applied factory reset but nothing improved.
    I purchased a 3rd printer (copier, scanner) to keep it offline and be able to print whatever I like, while I keep using the "infected" one with the surfing systems which are obviously attacked for to say the least.
    So the printer connected with the internet did not let me print your thread.
    It printed the first 6 pages, as if I surprised the guy behind it, and then it was keeping showing errors of paper jam, while there wasn't any of this.
    I copied the rest of the thread on my desktop as complete web site, it printed another 2-3 pages and again, same thing.
    I copied again in wordpad and this time it printed alright the rest of the thread, only that of course, thus I miss some of the action, that is who says what answering to whom, the fonts and paragraphs etc.
    I am a person who knew nothing about computers and learned everything I know about them and internet, struggling the way I described.
    I thus do not write in a way to be believed, proving everything I say.
    I must presume I am a target, and not an average internet user?
    Then I am.
    Am not sure if I have a bios virus, since the coming back of the hiloti trojan each time I format must be due to the fact that it is discovered as I said in a pre-installed program in my system.
    The system was bought in a well known electronics chain in my country's capital, southern Europe.
    I saw this thread about a "top secret, ultra-anonymous, James Bond-like secure laptop" and fell in love with it, tried to print it but no way. I saved it on my desktop and later I'll see. Cannot print it in the clean printer as I never enter data to it, originating in the net connected infected pc.
    Try to print cause I format more often than twice a month and without having planned it as they black out my system. Cannot enter windows, neither safe mode, so I format whenever they want me to and ususally lose the in-between data.
    Three systems I lost stopped responding to the power button. Black-out and the end.
    Two desktops and a laptop, the laptop prior to die presented a blue screen that I corrected with repair console for a couple of weeks then it passed away as I described.
    The local services said I must buy a new one, it's cheaper than repairing the old, and that's what I did, after a lapse of time. Those 3 systems were out of warranty.

The bioh-d 8 error I googled it and found out it's common in some specific manufacturer's models, I repeat hard-drive and/or motherboard error and they claim they'll fix it within warranty but other clients in forums say it may happen again after the warranty will be over, so I try to get my money back.

Microsoft forum diagnosed this hijacking, after checking my IE, and finding out that although windows were updating alright they never update IE itself during 3 years or so. What I was experiencing was lots of things, date and time of my system changing constantly and erroneously, remote shutting down of the system without me having provoked it, the vertical bars of notepad, wordpad and browsers dancing up and down stopping me from writing and reading, email sending and disk cleaning, defrag too taking ages to complete (days to be precise), access denials sudden, partial or total, I do not remember this 15 years story in details right now.

When xp showed up with system restore it was a blessing and now format simplified another one.

But I'll try to keep up with all that new things, virtualization and imaging etc.

I'll try to study a little here, but I'd be grateful for a simple as it can be answer about this.

What hardware do I need to completely virtualize a windows 7 desktop, and how do I connect it?

P.S. I tried a free vpn and then it asked for money, which I paid. Free or paid though I have the feeling it is not trustworthy.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm sorry to say that regardless of whatever happened, you're most likely misinterpreting things. Or you are a troll, but let's assume the former.

Are you a target ? Are you a person in a sensitive position of a major organization ? Wealthy, did you ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ a very talented hacker or hacker collective ? My guess is no, so you're not systematically attacked and things are not what you think they are.
    You could check if you're part of a botnet, but this seems unlikely.

I vaguely seem to recall that it was possible to damage some older matrix printers by sending them specific commands, but I doubt this is your problem.
    Anyway, the printer would not be intelligent enough to know what you're printer and to say that someone is watching what you are printing seems rather paranoid.

Bios viruses are rare. Are you sure it's not a false positive ?
    After you reformat, what do you put on your system ? Are any of the drivers, programs or even the OS (!) infected or illegal copies ? If you use a recovery manager you may be restoring corrupted software. You may need to 'wipe' any recovery partitions, perhaps the entire harddrive.
    Do you actually have CDs or DVDs for the drivers and such ?

Since you bought an opened box you might want to consider that any of the drivers/whatever may not be clean.

Southern Europe is a bit large ... don't know the chain. If you're not sure you could wipe the harddrive, and reinstall only known clean software. Ask someone you can trust for help.

Are you perhaps doing anything that's corrupting your system ? Running the wrong software, multiple security programs, 'system optimizers' ?

Did you actually lose several COMPUTERS ? Hardware ?

'local services' ? Any connection to the shops that sold you the hardware ? I wouldn't trust ANYONE who told me I had to keep buying defective hardware they had sold me !

What's this Microsoft forum you're talking about ? Is it legit ? Or some scam or amateur operation ? It's conclusion seems bizarre.

Anyone else using the computer (physical access), with or without your knowledge ?

You don't need a VPN for the sort of thing you're describing.
    A good (software) firewall is enough.

I would never pay money to a 'free' VPN. There is more than one thread about choosing a VPN in the privacy (technology?) section.
    VPNs can actually be very insecure but that is another topic.

I would say, start with the basics.
    The link that Techwiz gave you is very good.

Personally I am a fan of imaging. Having a known clean base image with OS, drivers, at least SP3 and other basics (no security software) is a great thing.
    You can always fall back on that one if you know how to use imaging software properly. Personally, I prefer an external harddrive for storing and retrieving images. BUT YOU MUST BE 100 % SURE THAT THE SOFTWARE IN QUESTION IS CLEAN ! Or there is no point in having it.

You're either too paranoid and/or perceiving things incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  8. Techwiz

I'm not sure what else to tell you. You need to clean all external hardware that you have connected to this computer or else you'll reinfect yourself. You should do a clean reinstall. Your backup might be infected, if so you need to buy a new disk or embrace Linux. The only other step I can really suggest is that setup a virtual machine. If you don't think you can handle doing that then I strongly suggest you have your computer repaired by a professional if you can afford one. Otherwise, do the above and make sure you read the link that I posted. There are other threads here that might help expand your understanding and assist you in going about this better. Wish you the best of luck.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  9. alphabeta1379

I thought I'd meet this distrust.
    As I said I'm not posting here to prove anything, I'm just speaking the plain truth.
    I'm surfing since '98, I could not have misinterpreted anything.
    I'm not of any importance officially, not a member of any organization as you said.
    I'm just a person. But local socities tend to keep their secrets and to consider they have rights to life and death over their members, since ususally they cannot afford to relocate.
    This is not a characteristic of only the eastern societies or of undevelopped countries.
    During those 15 years my first effort was to remain connected in the net, just in case I needed it and I needed it a lot.
    Did not have the luxury to sit and perform all sorts of tests to discover if I'm part of a botnet, I even disregarded this probability in favour to remain in the net.
    If you would like, I might check this right now at least as long as I'm still in the net, whereas last year I was out for more than 8 months.
    Did I ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ a very talented hacker?
    I remember this unbelievable experience, 10 years ago or so.
    I was surfing and had those usual total access denials, yet trying desperately by changing browsers.
    Suddenly, when I typed an address in my browsers address bar, instead of the access denial or of the wanted site, somebody started writing to me on the screen, at first saying "stop insisting you damned thing, why don't you accept the fact you are not allowed to visit this page?" or something of the kind. It's a long time now and cannot recall the actual words.
    I could not believe in my eyes, and he was going on, writing to me as if he was mad with rage, but something seemed to me very funny between the lines and I laughed.
    Then he wrote "I like to see you laughing".
    I was so astonished, and then he wrote "I'm sorry, I'm just a server, supposed to serve the web sites and will stop now to do other things". This I remember better, at least the meaning was exactly that.
    And that's that, never before or after this, had I no other similar experience.
    I consider it sad that when people meet something true they cannot recognize it, cause it's rare, or different, yet they believe all kinds of lies.
    The opposite could be very helpful in all situations.
    I repeat I did not say I have a bios virus. But you seem to think what I have is a bios virus.
    So let's get it straight here.
    I bought a last on the shelf item (on a very well known chain shop locally) of a hp desktop, with windows xp and NIS trial version on it. It has a recovery manager software and immediately after I opened it consulted me to prepare a recovery dvd. Which I did.
    The first time I performed destructive recovery some 5 months ago (the very first in my life) I did not know what I will achieve, I was just panicky because I had been locked out my pc, windows would not open, safe mode was looping back to itself or to a black screen saying "put the right media to boot from" or something of the kind.
    I tried to remain calm and followed the manual to re-install os together with all the drivers as this pc is made this way, it re-installs the whole thing either through the hard drive or through the dvd.
    When this succeeded I was very happy.
    I updated the NIS, the windows alright and my only concern was the biohd-8 error which everybody said it would provoke after all the hard-drive's death soon, so I should have it fixed within the warranty, or find another solution.
    After that I had a "bad image" error stoping me from opening notepads, updating windows through windows update (just the automatic updates kept arriving) and from restoring system (not recovering system, restoring system).
    I corrected the system restore through a microsoft paper abour some .dll file replacing I found in the net and then I checked with malwarebytes and found this hiloti downloader in my cyberlink.
    After what all the 6-7 don't know how many destructive recoveries I performed all the times I found same hiloti in same place and erase it, except if it is about this antimalware's malfunction, yet since I'm doing it the time of my pc does not change any more in a crazy way.
    My misfortune might be I'm never using any illegal thing.
    While hackers doing so are so much more succeeded people than me.
    HP do not provide clients with drivers dvds as I've been told.
    I noticed that in your forum "wiping" hard drives, partitioning, etc is a common practice.
    I suffered all those years cause I did not know how to format and "wiping a hard drive" is something I must dare to start henceforward, for now don't know how to do it.
    I am alone and have nobody to trust to help me.
    I am the kind of person I would struggle to have all kinds of protection, necessary for security, and avoid all kinds of dangerous practices. Besides, I usually read and write in my systems, never downloading movies or music or illegal staff or anything.
    This situation is impressive to strangers but I have been used to it.
    I have the three damaged systems in my closet, I will not get rid of them as long as I can, in the unlikely event that someone as disbeliever as you but whom I could trust, should check them and discover anything.
    It's just the official microsoft forum to which one must log in with his hotmail user and password.
    Nobody has access to my pc than me.
    I thought it goes without saying I never surf without a firewall.
    All that staff happened in spite my firewall and av.
    I read the thread about the private laptop and was a bit disappointed after all.
    Gigantic efforts against an all potent adversary.
    I typed all right the Securing your pc and data wordpad and will study it.
    Thanks for everything, and:
    I believe it's obvious there is a third option, besides that I'm paranoid and perceiving wrong, and this third option should be more clear to anyone the more savvy about computers and internet he is.
    But I am not, so I cannot argue.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  10. alphabeta1379

P.S.:"I'm presuming this is the same person with a different account."
    Cannot really understand this phrase.
    If it is about me, I do not remember having posted prior to this in yr forum, I'd be glad to be corrected if I'm wrong. It's a woman writing, if it is of any importance.

11. Techwiz

Seem to be matching now, I could have sworn I saw a different name for your post than that of the thread starter. I'll correct the mistake in the above post.

12. alphabeta1379

Still do not understand what is about a different name with the thread starter.
    I started this thread several days ago with the name alphabeta1379 and I'm closing it now, as far as I'm concerned since I will leave you in moments.
    How could I have replied to this thread as me and logged in for doing so if I had a different account?
    It seems to me you lie about this.
    Last p.s.: "I typed alright the Securing your pc and data wordpad..." by that I ment "I printed alright".
    In my mother tongue print and type are the same.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  13. Techwiz

It wasn't my intention to offend you if I did. I tend to have multiple threads open simultaneously, so I may have mixed up the tabs. I'm not following on that last part. I don't have a problem with people using different terminology so long as they are detailed. Maybe you are referencing something that someone else posted. Anyways, I hope that you are able to resolve your computer problems.

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

QUOTE:
    I thought I'd meet this distrust.
    As I said I'm not posting here to prove anything, I'm just speaking the plain truth.
    I'm surfing since '98, I could not have misinterpreted anything.
    I'm not of any importance officially, not a member of any organization as you said.
    I'm just a person. But local socities tend to keep their secrets and to consider they have rights to life and death over their members, since ususally they cannot afford to relocate.
    This is not a characteristic of only the eastern societies or of undevelopped countries.
    During those 15 years my first effort was to remain connected in the net, just in case I needed it and I needed it a lot.
    Did not have the luxury to sit and perform all sorts of tests to discover if I'm part of a botnet, I even disregarded this probability in favour to remain in the net.
    If you would like, I might check this right now at least as long as I'm still in the net, whereas last year I was out for more than 8 months.
    Did I ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ a very talented hacker?
    I remember this unbelievable experience, 10 years ago or so.
    I was surfing and had those usual total access denials, yet trying desperately by changing browsers.
    Suddenly, when I typed an address in my browsers address bar, instead of the access denial or of the wanted site, somebody started writing to me on the screen, at first saying "stop insisting you damned thing, why don't you accept the fact you are not allowed to visit this page?" or something of the kind. It's a long time now and cannot recall the actual words.
    I could not believe in my eyes, and he was going on, writing to me as if he was mad with rage, but something seemed to me very funny between the lines and I laughed.
    Then he wrote "I like to see you laughing".
    I was so astonished, and then he wrote "I'm sorry, I'm just a server, supposed to serve the web sites and will stop now to do other things". This I remember better, at least the meaning was exactly that.
    And that's that, never before or after this, had I no other similar experience.
    I consider it sad that when people meet something true they cannot recognize it, cause it's rare, or different, yet they believe all kinds of lies.
    The opposite could be very helpful in all situations.
    I repeat I did not say I have a bios virus. But you seem to think what I have is a bios virus.
    So let's get it straight here.
    I bought a last on the shelf item (on a very well known chain shop locally) of a hp desktop, with windows xp and NIS trial version on it. It has a recovery manager software and immediately after I opened it consulted me to prepare a recovery dvd. Which I did.
    The first time I performed destructive recovery some 5 months ago (the very first in my life) I did not know what I will achieve, I was just panicky because I had been locked out my pc, windows would not open, safe mode was looping back to itself or to a black screen saying "put the right media to boot from" or something of the kind.
    I tried to remain calm and followed the manual to re-install os together with all the drivers as this pc is made this way, it re-installs the whole thing either through the hard drive or through the dvd.
    When this succeeded I was very happy.
    I updated the NIS, the windows alright and my only concern was the biohd-8 error which everybody said it would provoke after all the hard-drive's death soon, so I should have it fixed within the warranty, or find another solution.
    After that I had a "bad image" error stoping me from opening notepads, updating windows through windows update (just the automatic updates kept arriving) and from restoring system (not recovering system, restoring system).
    I corrected the system restore through a microsoft paper abour some .dll file replacing I found in the net and then I checked with malwarebytes and found this hiloti downloader in my cyberlink.
    After what all the 6-7 don't know how many destructive recoveries I performed all the times I found same hiloti in same place and erase it, except if it is about this antimalware's malfunction, yet since I'm doing it the time of my pc does not change any more in a crazy way.
    My misfortune might be I'm never using any illegal thing.
    While hackers doing so are so much more succeeded people than me.
    HP do not provide clients with drivers dvds as I've been told.
    I noticed that in your forum "wiping" hard drives, partitioning, etc is a common practice.
    I suffered all those years cause I did not know how to format and "wiping a hard drive" is something I must dare to start henceforward, for now don't know how to do it.
    I am alone and have nobody to trust to help me.
    I am the kind of person I would struggle to have all kinds of protection, necessary for security, and avoid all kinds of dangerous practices. Besides, I usually read and write in my systems, never downloading movies or music or illegal staff or anything.
    This situation is impressive to strangers but I have been used to it.
    I have the three damaged systems in my closet, I will not get rid of them as long as I can, in the unlikely event that someone as disbeliever as you but whom I could trust, should check them and discover anything.
    It's just the official microsoft forum to which one must log in with his hotmail user and password.
    Nobody has access to my pc than me.
    I thought it goes without saying I never surf without a firewall.
    All that staff happened in spite my firewall and av.
    I read the thread about the private laptop and was a bit disappointed after all.
    Gigantic efforts against an all potent adversary.
    I typed all right the Securing your pc and data wordpad and will study it.
    Thanks for everything, and:
    I believe it's obvious there is a third option, besides that I'm paranoid and perceiving wrong, and this third option should be more clear to anyone the more savvy about computers and internet he is.
    But I am not, so I cannot argue. ENDQUOTE

While this response is most likely not appeciate it, I'l respond only once. It's up to you what you do with it.

Italics.

First quote.
    What you seem to remember didn't happen as such. A technical message that you could not read/were not authorized to access a page ? Perhaps, perhaps even that did not happen.
    Perhaps you had fallen asleep behind your keyboard ? Were you dreaming ? Did you mistake a dream for reality ? Any drugs, medications, too much stress, not enough sleep ?
    Just what you think happened, did not happen. It's not rational.

Second quote.
    The HP recovery partition thing is familiar. Something may simply have gone wrong.
    The .dll file ? Perhaps you got a wrong one ? Perhaps Malwarebytes gave a false positive. Perhaps you got the Hiloti in a different way.
    6-7 destructive recoveries ? That does not sound like true hardware failure.
    If it goes wrong the first time, chances are it will go wrong the second and the third time if you just do the same thing.
    I doubt your three systems are truly physically damaged.

That link you got is a good one. Properly securing the system should give you peace of mind, you don't need to go over the top. Actually, using shady VPNs can actually put your security, privacy and information at risk.

If you frequently suffer from paranoia, there are ways to deal with that.

No offense intended.

I'll leave it at that.

Sorry about messing up the font by trying to highlight portions by using italics.

15. alphabeta1379

Well, interpreting reality with one's rationality is the opposite than what needed.
    One has to interprete and elaborate his rationality following reality.
    I suppose your only way to react to what I told you is to deny my real experience.
    Nobody else of course would give you such an opportunity. You are lucky and look what you have done to your luck!
    Never used any drugs in my life, I avoid even over-the-counter medications if capable to.
    But it is easy to try another approach. What conclusion one might draw if this phrase about the server DID really appear on my screen. I for instance tried to see if there is a hidden camera in my system (how the heck he saw I was smiling?). And then I forgot the whole event, cause I do not intend to lose my serenity over anything, either rational or not.
    "Application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found" was the microsoft paper that helped me fix the system restore after "restrui.exe bad image - The app or DLL C:\windows\system32\wbem\framedyn.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check against your installation diskette" appeared.
    I reckon this is the detailed way I should have written all my text here in order that nobody could accuse me of paranoia.
    But I said, wasn't trying to prove anything. Just wrote my true experience and even less, some if its nuggets.
    I could add some more details about HP etc etc. But this could not explain to me why are you so angry about this post of mine. Just have in mind you met in the net some honest testimony about pc security. Every digit of it it's true.
    And I might be considered as paranoid to have posted it here, but you see, I'm persuaded that if I find the time to search the net, some explanation other than my paranoia will rise on my screen about this so difficult to swallow event about the "talking server". It's not that a big deal.
    And now I must honor my promise and leave you for good.
    Good day or good night, depends on where you're reading me and good luck to you all.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

And with that, this thread is closed. Thank you all for participating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.