Where in the world are these icons coming from?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Okay, this is a last-ditch attempt to figure out what in the world's wrong with this utility I've been using. It's a web accelerator that runs in the system tray. It keeps inheriting icons that shouldn't be there (see picture). The icon next to "Privacy Manager" shouldn't be there. If I reinstall the application it's gone, but within a day or two it's back. It also keeps changing. Every time I open the menu there's a different icon there. I've tried to figure out where they're coming from but can't locate the source. The OS is Vist 32 bit. I've got the same utility installed on XP but it never does it. I don't think it's malware as I try to keep a close eye on that and scan regularly, but it's not out of the question I guess.

I know it's just a small icon that's probably not hurting anything, but it bugs me when something's not working right and I can't figure out what it is. Would anyone have any clue what could be causing it, or know of a utility that would allow me to edit that particular icon out of the menu?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Is designed for Vista and higher OS? Any other app displaying similar behaviour?

3. allizomeniz

Hi Cudni, appreciate the suggestions. :)

I went to the website where I downloaded it and it says it's for Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP. I thought it was for Vista too but I guess not. The accelerator part works good, just the interface is a little askew. At least I know now what's probably causing it.

I'm still curious though if anyone knows if there's a way to edit the menus of programs in the system tray. When this started happening I searched to see if I could find anything for that purpose but came up empty. It'd be handy sometimes to be able to edit them.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Those menus and icons probably come from a .dll file included with the program. The odds of being able to edit them are slim. You might be able to edit it with a resource hacker, if the file is not compressed or encrypted.

5. allizomeniz

You're right Jack. There's a file, privacy.dll. I couldn't edit it but removed it from its original folder and restarted. The entry for Privacy Manager was gone entirely from the menu. I never use it anyway. Now, as long as icons don't start popping up elsewhere I'll be okay. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.