Where does it go???

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by manOFpeace, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

:)Hello, last night I carried out System Restore. All went well. I installed
    new version of Software. I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted it.
    So done System Restore.
    My query is, what happens to all the registry settings of which there were many more than older version. Where do they go??
    Not a big problem, one of those things I would like an answer to. ;)

2. manOFpeace

:cool:It seems a lot like myself, nobody knows the answer. :D

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi MoP,

Can you clarify your question a little more? Do you mean that you installed that program, then used System Restore to restore your system back to its prior state, and once there you are wondering where all the program's new registry settings went?

If so, the answer is that System Restore completely returns the registry to its exact state when you go back to a previous restore point. The new entries aren't exactly removed, it's more like they never existed. The entire regsitry is over written with an older version of itself by System Restore.

Is that what you were asking?
    LowWaterMark

4. manOFpeace

LowWaterMark thanks a million, the perfect answer.
    I imagined all these new files lying discarded in the registry.
    Well almost, I know it's a funny old place. :D

5. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

That thought was not so strange as you might think. In fact that's exactly what happens when you uninstall programs or delete files.
    They are still present, but Windows can't find them anymore, because the "links" to it have been broken. These links are a big part of what the regsitry is all about. The files will get overwritten in time, because Windows will start re-using the space on your HD they take up.

Edited typos
    Edited lots of typos :doubt: :doubt:

6. mjc

mjc Registered Member

The registry doesn't contain "files" it is a file...a rather large database of locations, settings and information required to allow Windows to interact with other software. the files are stored on your hard drive, most often in the directory named Program Files.

If you used the restore feature to rollback an install, then you may want to check for orphanned entries under the Prgram Files directory, because this iw where you would find any files.

7. manOFpeace

Thanks StAnger and mjc for further replies to this question which I have often pondered over. I appreciate your interest. ;)

8. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

In Windows 95/ 98/ Me, the Registry is contained in two hidden files in your Windows directory, called USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT.
    In Windows 2000 /Windows XP/2k3s, the Registry is stored in several Hives, located in the \windows\system32\config and \Documents and Settings\{username} folders which of course contain files ;)

Rgds,

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, just another thought here MoP...

While you didn't say this specifically, it sounds from the description in the first post above that you installed that program and then simply used System Restore to roll back your system configuration. While that works fine in regards to the registry and key system files, System Restore is not a 100% roll-back utility like GoBack or similar products.

I've always found this sequence best at getting clean again using System Restore, after testing an application:

1. Make a restore point
    2. Install the software & test with it
    3. If you want to remove it, first use its unistaller (Add/Remove programs, whatever), rebooting as necessary
    4. Then use System Restore to return the system to the restore point made above

As mjc noted, you really don't want orphaned files all over the place. If you don't uninstall the application, the folders and files it has added to your system will still be there following a rollback in System Restore. Uninstalling first, provided the application has a reasonably good uninstaller, would get things a little cleaner.

I've always found this the best approach to making the most out of System Restore's capabilities.

10. manOFpeace

:)Thanks people for all the replies. The thread is interesting. ;)
    I had the old version of software on earlier restore points. When the
    new version wasn't installing properly I rolled back to old version. It starts to get complicated to put on paper, but I now have the new version satisfactorily installed. ;)
    What brought me back here to-night was to say I run RegCleaner to
    do a clean-up of the registry. I then remembered about the orphened
    files, run it again and not a single thing came up.
    When "I" do a search in the registry I miss nothing, always do a second run to make sure all is gone.
    PS. The reason I rolled back to old version was because I had to uninstall it before installing new. Phew! :D

PPS. At one stage I had both versions uninstalled before eventually d/loading again and successfully installing.

11. manOFpeace

:)LWM I was having another read over your last post about making the restore point and that. Seems like good advice. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.