where does acronis keep these linux commands ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by allserene, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allserene

allserene Registered Member

So I fixed my blank boot up screen problem - or rather acronis support fixed it...

I attached my old crt screen which showed the boot up cd working - then i hit f11 and entered the command 'vesa=off'

After that I attched my lcd screen and it worked ! after 48 hours and two 2am sessions it worked... then I thought where is that command kept ? boot sector - ? so i took the power from my 2 hard drives and booted up with the acronis cd only and it booted ! with the lcd screen !

So where is that linux command saved ? not on the drives as they were dead..not on the cd as i burned that before the command was made - that leaves the mainboard bios eprom chip ? guessing -

anyone know

alan

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My guess is that it changed a setting in your video card and it is in non-volatile memory.

I doubt very much that TI fools with BIOS/CMOS settings.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Linux and by extension all 'nix based systems allow parameters to be passed to the kernel at boot time. The commands available differ slightly depending on the flavour of 'nix used. Some also read in other files which also allow switches.

It is very much like with Windows many command console applications - checkdisk, makeboot, makecfg etc, ipconig can have switches added to the command option such as ipconfig /all.

Once passed to the kernel or other program, then either the program internally runs from a different part of code or depending on what it does can live either in RAM or on a Virtual drive - BartsPe uses a Virtual Drive - as did the old Win98 boot disks.

Colin

4. seekforever

Yes, parameters can be passed but allserene says that the HDs were dead and the parameter cannot be stored on the CD. The PC was rebooted so I would think that rules out RAM. In other words, there is no place to store the "vesa=off" parameter.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

That's what I meant - the vesa=off, parameter is an instruction to the kernel on the boot CD.

Colin

6. seekforever

I think we are going in circles. What I understand happened was that he had trouble with the LCD so he put on a regular monitor so he could see and issued the vesa=off command which did whatever it does. This fixed the LCD monitor problem. He then rebooted the PC, had no powered HDs and rebooted from the TI CD with the LCD monitor attached and it still worked.

So where was the vesa=off stored to cause it to modify the original kernel from the CD on the subsequent reboot? It can't be on the unpowered HDs, it can't be on the CD (it will provide the original kernel) and the reboot will wipe the RAM.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello alan and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that such parameters as "acpi=off noapic", "usbmouse=off", "vesa=off" and the alike can only be entered manually or "hardcoded" into linux kernel located on CD itself which cannot be done without Acronis assistance. If you want to automate the process of booting with some specific parameter then please do as it is suggested in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support explaining the issue in details. We will certainly provide you with the download link for the special ISO image of the Bootable Rescue CD having the respective parameter "hardcoded".

If you want to add some specific parameters to Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (so-called 'F11' feature), please follow the instructions provided in this previous thread.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.