Where do PG & TMAS overlap?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by zapjb, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OK I'll try to spit this out coherently. First off, please only people knowledgeable with PG need reply. I have set to go on Windows startup: ProcessGuard 3.2 Full, NOD32, Sygate pf (last freeware version) & Trend Micro Anti-Spyware. Passive protection: Bugoff, SpywareBlaster, xp-AntiSpy, ScriTrap, Harden-It, SocketLock & Windows Worms Doors Cleaner.

As stated I have PG 3.2 full. Under the Protection Settings, Protection Enabled & Execution Protection are checked. Unchecked are Auto Block new and changed applications & Learning Mode. Under Global Protection Options all 4 options are checked.

For Trend Micro Anti-Spyware (TMAS) the realtime protection scheme (called Venus Spy Trap) there are 11 options to enable or disable.

They are:
    Monitor Memory for Privacy Threats
    Check Programs before they execute
    Monitor Web Browser Security Settings
    Monitor Startup Areas
    Monitor Host File Changes
    Monitor Browser Plugins
    Monitor ActiveX/Downloaded Program Files
    Monitor Windows Shell Settings
    Monitor Windows Services
    Monitor Windows Security Policy Settings
    Monitor Layered Service Providers

I have 4/11 options enabled. They are Monitor Memory for Privacy Threats, Monitor Windows Services, Monitor Windows Security Policy Settings & Monitor Layered Service Providers.

Given my setup & that I believe PG covers a lot of the 11 realtime protection scheme options of TMAS. I want PG to cover as much as possible & TMAS to cover in realtime as little as possible. Which of the 11 TMAS options should I have enabled that PG doesn't cover?

Thanks for reading through this. No alternate AS programs please. I think all other AS program are **** & yes I have tried them. Only people knowledgeable with PG need reply. Thanks again. :D

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i believe u can disable the following:

Check Programs before they execute
    Monitor Windows Services

i dont quite see how PG stops the other stuff like BHOs, HOSTS file changes, LSPs, etc.

u can also just disable any (or all) protection in TMAS u dont feel as necessary, u have a good configuration anyways.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd say that PG doesn't seem to overlap on any of the areas listed above with TMAS (assuming that the "Check Programs before they execute" option just scans, rather than prompting whether to run the program or not). Most of TMAS' settings involve Registry entries which PG does not generally cover (with the exception of the "Registry DLL injection" and "Block Rootkit..." global options).

If you wish to reduce the work done by TMAS, then an alternative registry-monitoring tool (RegDefend being the best currently, see the Registry Monitor comparison thread for others) would be the most sensible choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.