Where can i get Mcafee Virus Scan enterprise 8.0i

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help. i was wondering if anyone can recommend a place i can get mcafee virus scan enterprise 8.0i full version from.
    As i currently have the beta version installed and i love it and want to upgrade.

I have both emailed and telephoned mcafee to buy it, but they wouldnt let me, they said they will only sell it to buisinesses.

I have noticed a lot of people on wilders seem to have it, where did you get it. I would really appreciate any help you can give

Its just i really dont want to buy mcafee home as i have heard very negitive things about it, such as it doesnt detect viruses as well as enterprise, its full of advertising, high memory usage and its bloadware

So i do not want to install that, but i really want enterprise.
    But failing that i will try out Kaspersky ( i just dont like the sound of this fragmentation problems and ADS tagging, it just puts me right off)

Thanks

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This has already been discussed in a very recent thread; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45736

Only if your company/college/school has a corporate/network license can you obtain the Enterprise Edition. There is NO HOME USER license.

Those people who have stated they have a (legal) copy have only obtained it through their place of work.

3. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

McAfee doesn't sell enterprise products to individuals. In fact, VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i is currently sold as a part of the suite only. Believe me, there are only a few individuals who have that kind of money to buy the suite.

If your company uses McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, then ask your system admin. This is how some of us get it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  4. AnthonyG

My university uses, Mcafee Virus scan enterprise (however they still use version 7)

Knowing this how can i now get my hands on my own copy of enterprise 8.

Do i ask mcafee, do i ask my university (like the cahnces of them giving me one are slim, and anyway like i say they have version 7)

What do i do, do i buy it from the university. please help

Thanks i really appreciate your help

5. Blackcat

Knowing a little about UK Universities, you will have to wait until their IT people decide whether they are going to update to the recent version. Since it is a very recent release, they will probably wait awhile to justify the upgrade. They will not sell you this product, even if you could afford it!!!

There should be College/University download site if you are on the University network for FREE AV installation. Check this out first.

The previous version 7 is still a very good product and of course the beta. But the automatic definitions for the beta may be short-lived now, unless you manually install the DAT files.

For the start of term I would go with the AV the University has chosen for the network for their students. In my experience they generally always have a top quality product.

6. quazimutato

quazimutato Registered Member

Hi there, if you'd like to get a hold of McAfee Enterprise you can simply go to and click on the "downloads" link, and then go to "tools and utilities" and its the very first option.

Url removed as it led to an illegal download of mcafee enterprise av==bigc

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2004
  7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im sure a download is available on some p2p network. i know another way to get it but i wont post how for obvious reasons.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Once and for all. Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i is a corporate antivirus. It is not available to home users. It sounds like it would be great to have it on a home computer. But the truth is there are about three times the processes running in 8.0i than in a home antivirus. There are processes running that use a lot of resources such as Epolicy orcestrator and I protect. these are processes running useing up resources. They are not used by a home computer and you can not turn them off. There are several other hungry processes also running that you don't need on a home computer that are useing up your resources. I really don't see the advantage to use this as a home desktop antivirus. there are better choices to use on a stand alone computer.

bigc

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  9. muf

muf Registered Member

I think it's people having a preconceived idea that if it's got more option's, is more expensive and is used by large corporation's worldwide then it has to be better. As a package it most definately is. But all those extra function's you get are simply not needed for home use. bigc73542 is spot on. :) The only advantage i can imagine is that is doesn't have the security centre. But with everything else it comes with by default, i seriously believe the home user would find it heavier on their system than the home version with security centre. Stick to home version's. That's what they are designed for and they cover the essential needs. Enterprise version's cover the essential needs for businesses. Stop worrying that you are missing out in some way. :p

muf

10. AnthonyG

This is very old post by me and a few days after this post i went into my university and asked my computer department and they actually had MVE V8 as a free download to students and i have been using it ever since.

I think it is an excellent antivirus and i do not see any slowness or dragging it is very good. But i am after reading bigc's response starting to get concerned as i have read his profile and he is literally an expert on computers and if he says its not good for a home computer i have to get worried.

I did not want the home version as i read a lot of people mention it has a load of advertising on, and i hate that. I always believed and i am sure i have read that corperate versions are stripped down versions of the home product (well at least that is what i have read about symentic corperate) and they only have whats needed on them and no more so i assumed its the same for mcafee products as well, but he is saying it has extra things on as well which are not good for home use.

I am happy with my enterprise 8 AV, my university recommends its students to install it. but do you (and this is really aimed at the mods and other experts) think i should purchase the home or professional version. Or use Kaspersky which to be honest i have always wanted to use (and i actually own v5 but then the day after i got it i got from my uni MVE and decided to use that instead and read about that adding of threads thing so that too put me off) But i am worried about slowdown i hate computer slowdown so that also makes me reluctant to use it, and another reason i have no (and dont intend to install) service packs so i according to the installer cant use it.

So what do you suggest as all i want is to be best protected against malware and viruses. And i thought i was with MVE.

Thank you.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u are correct in saying that corp av are stripped down versions of their desktop counterparts, but in symantecs case, i feel NAV has more protection against worms n trojans. and mcafees products are all slow, corp or desktop.

If u have a fast computer then go ahead and use KAV pro, otherwise as i have previously stated, use NOD32.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the ver 8.0i is an excellent av. It just uses a lot of resources It has at least three update processes running, My antivirus that I run on my home comp has one running. A lot less resources used. If you have a legal copy of this antivirus and like it and you don't notice any performance degredation then I would use it. But it has the same detection rates as the home edition since it uses the same scan engine and def files. except you have to apply patches to the enterprise version to combat some maleware. Where those updates come in the normal routine of the home edition. The enterprise edition is designed to be centrally moderated and updated and patched from a central location such as a copporate or education institution it professional. If you use this antivirus at home all of the changing updates and management steps that should be taken by the IT will have to be addressed by you the home user. In a home version it is a closed system so it does not need this constant patching to protect a network that a home computer doesn't need.

bigc

P.S.
    I have used this av and I like it. but I have no need of all of the extra items stuffed in it. But like I said if you like it and don't mind the resource hit it is an excellent av as in my opinion all mcafee av's are

13. AnthonyG

Thank you for your reply. But i am still a bit confused. Am i actually safe with the product as it is. Because i do not tweak or play with the settings of the product at all i just have left it as it was when installed.

I do update the definitions daily though, is that enough and am i safe or are there other steps i need to do to this antivirus to make myself safe.

14. Blackcat

For most students, commercial security software are definitely classified under "non-essential items". Therefore, only a free antivirus is a viable option.

Many students and staff at my University take advantage of the Corporate AV's provided for free by their Departments. And most people who have taken up this choice have been happy with their selection.

However, the main problems arise when people obtain Warez copies of software such as McAfee Enterprise v.8.0i and then cannot obtain the necessary critical Patches for the program. This may lead to system stability problems and probably sub-optimal malware detection.

To answer your question. If you have a legitimate copy of McAfee Enterprise, have been told how to obtain all the updates needed by the program, including the patches, by your University, and it does not slow down your computer, then it is a good choice.

I have no choice with using this program on my 'work' laptop which is in and out of the University network. I agree, however, with bigc, in that it may not be the best choice for a Home AV solution.

But, students, because of limited funds do not have a wide choice of software to choose from. Very little spare money, if any, is spent on Commercial computer programs. Further, in my experience, most of the software they have installed on their systems is illegally obtained. Therefore, IMHO, the Enterprise edition of McAfee is an excellent choice if you can obtain for free, a legitimate copy of the program AND keep it updated with ALL necessary updates, not just the DATs.

If you are staying with the initial install, without the necessary patches and the new engine upgrade then you are NOT running this AV at its optimal protection abilities. If you cannot obtain the information from your University about maximising this product, you need to look elswhere.

From your previous posts, you seem very unsure about this AV in general, so my advice would be to choose a good free AV, or see if the University can offer you another one, but simpler to use. In particular, simpler to obtain ALL possible updates, from within the internal updater. Again, in my experience, most Universities in the UK offer alternative solutions.

15. AnthonyG

Thank you for your imput black cat

But to
    Its not the product in itself i worried about it is just i am not very clued up on computers and also because as in april i got a dialler on my machine which ran up a phone bill of over £300 which you can imagine being a uni student almost killed me. So i am panicking about a recurrance. Then in june i started to continuously get dialler request popups that wouldnt go away and kept coming back, they are still on my computer even though i have formatted 6 times (i know they are on my computer as they come up in legitmate sites like imdb.com). The only thing that stops them coming is using mozilla as they seem to be I.E specific popups.

I am very worried about a repeat performance as i can not afford another £300 as BT didnt care i was a student they just wanted the money and I will do anything to stop an occurance. So i am keep asking questions about my security to make sure i am safe

Thank you

16. JLamy

JLamy Registered Member

You actually formatted your HD (delete EVERYTHING from it) 6 times and that dialler thing is still there? I think it may be put there by a program that you use, or "certain" websites you visit put them back on after your fresh install of Windows. If these "certain" sites prompt you to download something that you not expecting just to be able to look at some info or download something - then dont allow it. Keep clicking NO and after about 4 times it will stop asking. Anoying I know. To guard youself against diallers dialing in, why not disconnect your PC from the phoneline when your not using the net? Simple but effective. I have switched to using Mozilla FirFox now for most sites I visit. I only go back to IE for some sites that require it like mycokemusic.com

I think that the AV you have from your uni is good choice as its no cost to you, and default installtion set to scan all file types. Just make sure your scan engine and virus definitions are up to date. And any relevent patches will hopefully be provided by your uni IT support, along with instructions etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.