where are those threat gates?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by testsoso, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

If you are conneceted online, and you has a firewall, and closed all unused ports and services. now if you don't have any internet activities, not browser...and no app connect and listening any ports...how can the bad guys attack you?

in this case do we need anything more than the firewall? do we need some IDS things like snort? bufferoverflou protection? or anything else? how can the bad gays come in first place?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Well, you're pretty much covered. If you do not establish any connection anywhere, you're isolated from the external world. However, there's always the active gate - you and your activities, what you click, what you install etc...
    Mrk

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you're a typical home user, you can relax.... nobody is going to attack you. Unless of course you go to some forums and start asking people to. ;)

4. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

Thanx for your reply, so the threat gate is only the apps, which i use to connct?
    so a sandboxie will help, where firewall allowed to pass?

i ask because there are some products, like Avast Network module...are they any useful?

If the Threat only come from the browser, let say i only use the internet for surfing, no p2p, no emails chart and others...basicly a Proxomitron with a good set of filters will stop the most bad things.

so what do you think about this setup:

personal firewall->first gate,
    Proxomitron->secound filter for web,
    Sandboxie->every thing get through the first 2.
    an HIPS->antiexecutable

and i don't do any intall. will this setup secure enough? or do i still need Avast Network module? or PCC scan for Network Virus? or anything like a anti ARP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.