Where are my program files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rgar98, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm a new user. My computer crashed and I restored my files. However, my program files (Microsoft Office, Quicken, Etc) are not restored. Weren't they supposed to be?

I restored from 4 .tib files on my USB drive to my C: drive. My original backup was a full back up of my hard drive, about 12 GB's folowed by a differential backup in November, 06. Needless to say, I'm really confused.

Last night I tried to restore my files and the total restoration of the four .tib files took about 30 minutes, but I couldn't figure out what actually happened. This AM I did what I thought was the same procedure, and it took about 4 hours!

I just do not know where to begin.

Thanks.

Richard Garcia

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

30 minutes for 12 Gb sounds about right. What version of TI are you using? Have you done the Restore process successfully before or is this the first time?

3. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

Hi, I'm using 9.0 and this is my first time. Should applications be restored too? How about my photos?

Thanks,

RG

4. Ralphie

If you backed up the entire hard drive then the Recovery process should have restored everything. When you booted with the Rescue cd, and chose Recovery, then chose the first backup image from your usb drive, did TI present the Disk number with the mbr, track 0 and the C partition?

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

When you did your total disk Backup under tools/Default backup options/Source file exclusions which of the three checkboxs have a checkmark in it and what is in the big white dialog box under it.

6. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

I didn't boot with the CD. The worm or virus that screwed the drive up prevented me from doing that. I had to format my drive and reinstall the OS. Then I installed Acronis 9.0 and restored the backup files. I did not see the information you described.

Thanks, again.

7. Ralphie

Okay, try it this way ... now that you have Acronis installed, look around its menu for the item that says something to the effect "Create Bootable Rescue Media". This is the bootable Rescue cd that has the Backup, Recover, and Clone features on it. Once you've made the cd, boot with it and use the Recover feature to restore your backup images that you have on the usb drive.
    NOTE: This will erase what you now have on the C drive so if you've added data since redoing the drive, you have to save it before doing the Recovery.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

He could explore the Image he has to see that the missing programs are there, and then copy and paste them to his computer.

9. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

That won't work because of all the entries that are in the registry. He'll have to try and perform a restore again.

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Although your suggestion for restoring the programs won't work as has already been pointed out, it is a useful way to check that the backup includes the Program files.

I'm wondering whether the only backup made was a Files and Folders backup rather than a full partition/disk backup (image). This is an easy way to find out.

11. jmk94903

Ok, no matter what a worm or virus did to the hard drive, it wouldn't have prevented the system from booting from the Recovery CD. The system doesn't even need a hard drive to boot from the Recovery CD.

After you find out whether you made a full system backup or a Files and Folders only backup, you need to find out how to boot your system from the Recovery CD.

One reason as system won't boot from the Recovery CD is if the CD drive is not the listed before the hard drive on the boot devices list in the BIOS. Go into your BIOS setup and find out the order of boot devices.

12. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

kay, try it this way for the item that says something to the effect "Create Bootable Rescue Media". This is the bootable Rescue cd that has the Backup, Recover, and Clone features on it. Once you've made the cd, boot with it and use the Recover feature to restore your backup images that you have on the usb drive.

I did this and nothing has changed. There are 4 backup files on my usb drive. Do I restore all of them? Thanks for teying to help me, but I cannot seem to figure this out...

Richard Garcia

13. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

... for the item that says something to the effect "Create Bootable Rescue Media". This is the bootable Rescue cd that has the Backup, Recover, and Clone features on it. Once you've made the cd, boot with it and use the Recover feature to restore your backup images that you have on the usb drive.

I did this and nothing has changed. There are 4 backup files on my usb drive. Do I restore all of them? Thanks for trying to help me, but I cannot seem to figure this out...

Richard Garcia

14. Ralphie

Give us the names of the four backup files and their sizes. It might shed some light on what's going on here.

15. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

Thanks for hanging in here with me.

mybackup1 4244 kb (8/6/2006)
    mybackup2 4194304 kb (9/27/2006)
    mybackup3 257718 kb (9/27/2006)
    mybackup4 436438 kb (11/10/2006)

Richard Garcia

16. Ralphie

The backup1 doesn't seem right being only 4 mb unless you backed up only a few files.

The 2 and 3 backups look like it may be of the whole C drive so I would ignore backup1 and again with the bootable Rescue cd start the Recovery with your #2 file and the process will automatically pickup #3 and #4 if they are part of #2.

Good Luck.

17. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

Thanks, Ralphie,

It didn't work. I guess I made a mistake when I did my original backup. The .tib files include a "FULL BACKUP," but Office and all my .jpg files were not backed up for some reason. It's disappointing because I bought the USB drive and Acronis for this exact scenario and now I've lost all my photographs. I can't even reinstall Office because I have my Office UPGRADE but it won't install because the orginal is not on the computer; I don't have the original office CD that came with the computer.

Thanks, for your time.

Richard Garcia

18. Ralphie

Well there's another thread going where they say version 10 will let you explore the backup files, so I would download the 15-day trial version and use it to explore those .tib files to see if your photos etc are retrievable.

To replace your Office there's always the free open source software that is totally compatible with all MSOffice files called Open Office. Consult your Google Gods for where to download it. :D :D

19. jmk94903

Hi Richard,

This was indeed the data we needed. Note the size of the largest backup, mybackup4. It is 436,438KB or only 426MB! That's not an image backup which would be at least 5-10 times that size.

You made a Files and Folders backup which has only your data. That why you cannot restore your entire system. Unless your pictures were stored in an unusual folder and not under My Documents, I would expect them to be in the backup.

Repeat the backup process, but this time when you are asked what to backup, select the entire disk or partition option. Although this is a clean install without all your programs note how much larger it is than these data only backups.

Reinstall your programs and make a new backup being careful to backup the entire disk or partition.

Perhaps a friend has a copy of MS Office and can loan you the CD to allow your upgrade to install. You don't need to install the program but only to insert the CD when the Office installation asks for it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  20. rgar98

rgar98 Registered Member

Hello John,
    Thanks for offering your assistance. The largest file is mybackup2. It is 4194304 kb (about 4,194 mb)...it was difficult for you to see the number of places. I had to format my C:\ and to reinstall my OS that is why I was restoring my files. My photographs are no longer on the drive.

Thanks, again.

Richard Garcia

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Which is What I getting at with this
    :cautious:

22. jmk94903

Hi Richard,

You are right, I misread the September large backup which sounds like an appropriate size for a full system backup.

Have you mounted that image and checked it for your photographs with Windows Explorer?

23. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rgar98,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please describe the actions you have taken to restore the image archive step-by-step? In addition, please make a screen shots of your consequent steps taken during the restoration and of the final window with the restoration summary is displayed.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

We would also recommend that you find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.