Where are my hard drives...?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Alexandros Zontos, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandros Zontos

Alexandros Zontos Registered Member

First I should thanks everyone reading this post. It is quite true that I might need some help on my matter. I whould also like to inform you that I have already tried to find something relevant in this forum, but i suppose that True Image works ... some how better in your PCs.
    I bought and installed the ATI 10 built 4.871. Just to check if everything goes as the "user guide" says I decided to make a full backup image (clone disk) of my SATA drive (on where my WinXP is intsalled) to my other SATA drive. I was pretty amazed with installing some applications just to see how they work (nothing dangerous).

Istead of unistalling them I thought that restoring my primany state of my HD stood up as a good idea. When I boot my system with the Rescue Boot I realise that there were NOOO files in my C: and there was NOOO D: drive at all. All I could see was the Dvd-rom Drive.

(The c: was sized as the MBR and I could see my D: drive in order to select the image file)

If I continue loading windows nothing has changed. I can still see both of my hard drives.

After quite research on that, I am sure that I tried everything I know. I even created a FAT partition but it wasn't possible to copy such a large file (around 10 gb).

(My Pc configuration doesn't have any Raid or very complex hardware. )

I really need some help and I should thank in advance everyone how spend some time reading and replying.

Reagards,
    Alexandros Zontos

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  2. dmj99

dmj99 Registered Member

After the disk clone operation was successful, did you disconnect one of your drives before turning your computer back on?

3. Alexandros Zontos

No... I just kept the file .tib to my secondary HD.

4. dmj99

dmj99 Registered Member

After disk cloning, I believe you have to unplug on of the clones. Otherwise windows gets very confused and you can wind up with two unbootable disks.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Alexandros, welcome to the Forum :D

The Acronis Rescue Boot CD runs ATI under the Linux OS. It is possible that the reason you cannot see your disks is because Linux does not have a driver for the SATA controller on your Motherboard.

NOTE

Although it is too late for Alexandros, other readers of this post should note that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that you test that you can use your system (mouse, keyboard, graphics card) and "see" your disk drives via the Linux interface BEFORE you do anything else with ATI.

A couple of questions:

• When you created the Clone did you select "Keep Data" on your source disk?
    • Can you boot from the original source disk?
    • Can you boot from the new Cloned disk?

6. Alexandros Zontos

If I disable on my hard drives from the bios menu then it is sure that Rescue Boot won't se neither the C: drive (with my Xp on it) NOR the D: disk (where I have stored the .tib file)

I wonder ... shoud I somehow put some drivers inside the reascue Boot procedure? And how a common client could do that....?

7. Alexandros Zontos

I should also mention that I can still log on to my XP and the problem is focused only during my restoring attemp. No files are lost...

8. dmj99

dmj99 Registered Member

I guess I'm getting confused about what your trying to do. I'll let someone else take over.

Hope your drive problem works itself out.

DeeJay

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Alexandros Zontos,

I have merged your earlier thread into this one.

Please try not to post duplicates. Thank you.

Menorcaman

10. Alexandros Zontos

Thank you.. I must haven't noticed

11. como

como Registered Member

It would help if you could clarify what you have done.
    In some of your posts you state that you cloned your system drive, in post 3 you mention a "file.tib"., if you have a .tib file then you did not clone the disk but used TI to back up a partition or disk.
    It appears that you can still boot into Windows so nothing has been lost.

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

Alexandros,

From my perspective, it's unclear whether you performed a clone operation or an imaging operation, as you mentioned both cloning and the creation of .tib files.

Cloning a disk copies the partitions of that source disk as is to another disk (the target). The result is (hopefully) a perfect duplicate of the source disk on the target disk. Files will be in their native format on the target disk, thus readable without further activity by ATI (after following the appropriate disk disconnect / reconnect procedures).

Imaging will create a backup file on the target disk that is a proprietary representation of one or more partitions on the source disk (depending on what you choose to backup). Only the ATI program can read this file; it saves such files with a .tib extension. To recreate the original source disk (or partition), you must run ATI in restore mode. In most cases, running ATI from the Rescue Boot CD will be necessary to accomplish this task.

Let us know which form of operation you have performed, so we can provide the appropriate assistance. Also, I assume that you have a C partition on disk 1 with your XP system and apps (and maybe data files?) loaded, and a D partition on the second hard disk (with what files?). Please confirm. Any other partitions / logical drives on these disks? Do you have any other drives other than your DVD drive, such as an external hard drive?

Thanks.

Doug

Edit: Como, I guess you beat me to the punch on the critical question.

13. Alexandros Zontos

I should thank you for your assistance. Well Doug_b and como it seems that I didn't performed the so called clone disk. As you discribe ... image should be the excact word of what I did.

I created an image .tib file of my c: (without any other partinions) when from my XP platform to my d: hard drive. I should also like to imform you that there are no other divices available on my Pc. 2 sata drive (not raid) and 1 DVD rom.

14. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That is very clear.

It appears that the Recovery CD (Linux operating system) does not have drivers for your SATA controller. What brand of computer or motherboard do you have. What is the SATA chipset?

A Bart PE disk might solve your problem.

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Alexandros Zontos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as it was mentioned already most probably the reason for such issue is that the standalone version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home (which is Linux based) does not have the appropriate drivers for the hard disk controller/hard drives you use or the existing drivers do not work correctly. In order to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible solution we need some additional information from you. Could you please do the following?

- Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report, Windows System Information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Provide the exact vendor and model of the hard drives you use;

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

P.S. Please also note that as jmk94903 mentioned a possible workaround is to use a BartPE-based bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE and allowing one to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup.

Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE comes with the Acronis True Image installation and can be found in the
    \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE folder.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.