When will you install W10

Discussion in 'polls' started by emmjay, Jun 5, 2015.

?

When will you install W10

1. As soon as windows update sends it to me

43 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. Within 12 months of release

29 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. When W7 extended support ends

17 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. When it has proven stable

25 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Never

51 vote(s)
    29.5%
  6. Other (specify)

22 vote(s)
    12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Considering the release of W10 has been announced for July 29, 2015, have you decided if it is for you or not? Obviously availability depends on the windows update rollout in your region, so answer based on it being there ready for download.

2. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I'll be a late adopter, after all the guinea pigs report problems and Microsoft releases fixes. With software, this usually means waiting 2-4 weeks after an update becomes available. For Windows 10, I will probably wait a month for issues to surface and then consider installation. I intended to give Microsoft a one year trail to decide whether or not I will stick with Windows. Otherwise, my plan is to go with Chrome OS. Just waiting for a more affordable, higher ram Chromebook to enter the market.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I was tempted to take a wait and see approach, but decided to go ahead and take the plunge and do it as soon as it's available. I already reserved it. I'm on Win 7 now, and I took a Macrium image today before anything starts downloading or changing. So I should be good either way...

4. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Eight months ago. It's been a love/hate relationship ever since.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While I have Windows 10 installed as the primary OS on the laptop I use daily, and it has been somewhat problamatic, (it's not the best idea to upgrade your Windows 7 install which you use for many hours a day and works just fine to a preview version of an OS) I will install it on my Windows 8.1 laptop as soon as it is released. This may not be the wisest move, time will tell. But, I'm willing to take the chance.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If I'll like the final version and it will be stable, I will probably install it inside 12 months.

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

If microsoft does not change the way the updates are installed (=no way to opt-out from specific updates)... never.

Most of my computing time I spend it on mac and linux the last 3 years (since windows 8 came out) and it seems that microsoft does not want me anymore as a customer. Heck even OSX gives more choices to its users nowadays.

Panagiotis

8. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

My vote = As soon as windows update sends it to me

9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Voted when Win 7 extended support ends.
    Totally Agree @pandlouk :thumb:

10. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Agreed. Bad comes to worse, there's MAC and Linux..

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While I don't like the idea of forced updates. I would never switch to a Mac, not even if you paid me, and I'd still rather use Windows than Linux.

12. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

Never!
    I've become used to doing things when I want, to installing stuff only I want, to not using a bunch of anti-virus /anti-malware programmes, to not having to be online all the time or else programmes stop working (MS-Office, OS) and so forth.

Win7 has been the last Microsoft OS I still use occasionally but aside from some experimenting in virtual environments I usually don't connect to the internet. But when I do I certainly wish I didn't. I use it for a few games and a few programmes (not Office!).

I lost interest in Windows.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Whenever I decide to upgrade my new desktops, usually on a 6-year cycle, I will consider whatever is the best option then. If I get to buy a laptop, I might keep whatever is on it. Proactively changing my setup just to get a new version of Windows, nope.
    Mrk

14. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

When W7 extended support ends

Likely to stick now with Win 7/8.1 for many years i hope.
    Everything MS seems to do these days does not appeal to me in the slightest.

GWXconfigmanager (or whatever it is called) is blocked on all firewalls ;)

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

16. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

I haven't decided as of yet but it's likely I'll stick with my W7 machines until they reach end of extended support (assuming they last that long). The chief (not only) reason is forced auto-updates. My upgrade eligible machines are home premium so I'd have to buy the pro version, at minimum, to have even some control over the update process. That control will be limited, from what I've read, to just having the ability to delay updating for a pre-determined X amount of time. Too early to tell. Maybe a registry hack will be a solution for all versions.

Overall, I have a positive view of MS regarding its accomplishments but I find that its inability to be consistently transparent concerning any particular update before or after installation unacceptable. I've not read anywhere (perhaps I've missed it) that MS has candidly addressed their past failures to their customers. Do they realize the level of mistrust they've earned? Judging by the somewhat murky explanations regarding the update regime going forward, I'd say no. MS's largeness will keep them viable and a positive entity for the foreseeable future. Their deliberate opaqueness will keep them less than great.

17. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Never or most probably never- not even as a trial.
    Don't need or want it. After XP can no longer serve, I will be moving to linux.

18. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I've already install Windows 10 (Insider Preview), and I like it more than Windows 8.1. :-*

19. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I got the upgrade offer on a relatively new Windows 7 laptop. Because it's free, I decided to take it but on my own terms. I'm right now making an image of the Windows 7 system with the upgrade option enabled. It will be cloned onto a spare 100gb disk that will be used for the actual upgrade. Because the Windows 7 system uses SLIC table activation, I have no worries about MS somehow deactivating the previous system and I will have Windows 10 on a separate disk. Once I have it imaged, I can play with it in many different ways. The main disk multiboots Windows 7 64 bit and Ubuntu. I could replace the DVD burner with a hard drive caddy tray and put the Windows 10 disk in it. I could also put the image on an Expresscard drive. I've already done this with Ubuntu as an experiment. The system boots fine but the drive speed is a bit slow.

20. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Yep, I'll be almost 70 years old when Win 7 ends support, hopefully they will extend it farther. I plan on keeping it until then. ;)

21. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

The last Windows OS I used was Vista before I switched over to Linux.

22. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

At first I gave Windows 8 the benefit of doubt, but that was just waste of a moment in life ill never get back. So windows 10 better not disappoint as this is MS's last chance.

I plan on running W10 as soon as its available. With windows, as far as im concerned, the more stable it is at launch the more stable the OS will be as a whole in the long run. XP and W7 both very stable from the get go, and I must admit, I like the look and features of W10. I just hope the productivity and work flow logic is there.

If MS disappoints, ill either stick with W7 for as long as possible, or commit to Chrome OS full time.

Good luck to us all, fingers crossed :doubt:

23. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I wasn't a fan of W8, W10 has come a long way from the last testing period I gave it (in a VM) and I hold high hopes for it but the upgrade system (while I could disable it manually periodically) is a disaster waiting to happen IMHO. That and some minor-ish problems (supposedly intentional though there is no way to alter the behavior) that exist in every build after W7 give me pause though those are primarily UI/useability issues. I'll be running the W10 RTM+ in a VM and if/when I find it acceptable to me I'll migrate (after a few test runs and NTLite builds), not before.

I hadn't encountered so many BSOD since XP as I did with 8 on a live system. That also will play part in my choice once I try a Win10 live system install.

The software I use will also play part though unless they are security related they are likely to be replaced should they fail absent decent time to update.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'll probably forgo the upgrade until I get a new machine in a couple of years.

25. quietman

quietman Registered Member

I'm with the majority who have commented here ,
    ..... and I use Linux more than Windows these days.

I voted "never" .... because there isn't a "probably never " option.

The only windows versions I really rated were XP and W7 .
    MS history has been pretty consistent .... good , garbage, good , garbage .... so maybe W10 will be a good un :)

I've got no plans to buy a new laptop anytime soon .... don't need more cpu power , don't need more ram.

This machine and W7 are both " keepers " for me .

PS - TS4H , it's a pity we are reduced to " keeping fingers crossed " , but that's how it seems to be these days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.