When WiFi doesn't work: a guide to home networking alternatives

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://arstechnica.com/business/las...k-a-guide-to-home-networking-alternatives.ars

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

this is still experimental technology (lan through power cables) best just to get corner wifi antennas(example hawking 14db corner antenna) and point them at you router. With wifi it's all about the antennas and a more powerful usb wifi adapter (example alfa 36h).
    I think only a lead wall might block the alfa. Wifi aways works for me with the right equipment.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Ummm, no! Sorry, but that is not correct. BPL and PLC have been around for the home for at least 6 years. Power companies have been sending data over the grid for many decades. There is nothing new, or experimental about it, except perhaps for the new players getting into it.

The problem with BPL, like all "wired" networks, is it relies on quality "mechanical" connections in order to obtain quality "electrical" connections. And BPL is often considered for older facilities where the facility wiring may NOT have good mechanical connections.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I think the killer for powerline home networking is this.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yeah, that can be a killer. But for a small home office, that would be fine. And from a security standpoint, that isolation could be good thing too. The wall may literally be a firewall. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.