When Vista rolls out what are you going to do?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 27, 2006.

?

What will you do when Vista comes out?

1. Move to Vista immediately

10 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. Wait a few months then move to Vista

19 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Switch to Linux (or Mac)

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Stay with my current OS for at least 1-2 years

71 vote(s)
    65.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

:D :D

Well I've done it now:thumb:

Having got sore eyes through hours of reading up the various Linux distros I have downloaded and installed Xandros.

Why oh why didn't I do it before?
    This OS is so easy to install,(much easier than Windows ) and so much quicker too.

If you want to change OS this is a brilliant way to make the transition,everything you need is right there ;)

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Did`t see an option for "run the other way" in your poll. :D Then again, I`m behind the curve I guess. Still running 2k on 3 of my 4 networked PC`s.:rolleyes:

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m going to install it on a virtual machine and see if it really has some kick ass features or not. Personally I don´t really care about eyecandy but I do hope that the GUI will be improved because XP has a couple of minor annoyances. And of course all of my favorite tools must be able to run on Vista also. But it´s not likely that I will upgrade my current machine, I will probably get Vista pre installed on a new machine in 2010, hopefully fully patched with SP2. ;)

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

When Vista rolls out what are you going to do? Nothing. I will stay with my existing OS's (Linux and OS/2).

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    When it comes out, I'll then observe the posters here in wilders for what they can say bout it. If it's really good then I'll use it, but if it sounds bad here then I'll better stay with my current OS which is Windows XP/SP2 Pro. :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

But I'd expect it to be much more better and advanced, easy to use and elegant than its previous versions. I hope it's much more stable and has lots of protective features. :cautious: :blink:

6. faterider

faterider Registered Member

I just stay on XP as much as possible and keeping an eye on Linux and BSD for a switch. If alt OSes doesn't come to the point where I'm satisfied, I can remain with XP forever because it has everything for me. And definitely don't like the way MS is going.

I can spend my genuine interest in PCs and OSes for deepening my knowledge in already existing products instead of learning new conceptions coming with the new ones.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What about this OS/2. Its, easy to use?

8. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I will stay with my curent operating system (Windows XP Home) until such time an upgrade is needed or support for my current operating system has ended.

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well I think it is, but I have been using it for many years. IBM has pretty much abandoned it. Serenity Systems International eComStation is keeping it alive and there is still a number of users, die hards like me. :)

Here is a shot of my simple and basic desktop (click to enlarge)

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1365/ecsdesktop4xf.th.png

10. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, as for me XP is running very smooth and fine...so perhaps I'll wait one year as MS to release its SPs :p.... and then probably I'll switch to it.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just read an article from Microsoft yesterday that stated that computers over a year old would probably not be able to run Vista properly. That lets a lot of computers out of the Vista loop. And it would be expensive to upgrade your hardware to be able to take advantage of Vistas offerings. My new comp should run it with no problems but I won't be running right out to get it. Like most informed users here I will wait about a year to see what if any big problems show up.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

BigC,
    If I'm able to run winXPproSP2 64-bit on my computer, does that mean I can run winVISTA or can other hardware components be a problem as well. My new computer is quite young (4 months).

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

theres no official requirements but heres some info:

source: bi-tech.net

also check this page: Will Your PC Run Windows Vista?

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

WSFuser,
    Thanks for the info. Seems to me that M$ doesn't want you to buy winVISTA :D

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    They can try anything they want - they can never stop us.
    We will always watch movies and listen to music any way we like, and for every corporate slave there are 5 open-minded opensource guys who will make software that will work for us.
    Besides, with xp in its current configuration and vmware, you can play old games for years to come until comes the time to sober up and finally become mature (around the age of 40 or so).
    Mrk

16. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Some people I know are way over 60 and still are not mature, and I think
    will never be.:p :D

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I would never trust an MS product unless its been out for atleast 6 months.

I am not happy with the direction vista is taking.

I currently am happy with XP and no need to change, Vista does not offer me a single feature I need and I have no desire for a lot of the new features like drm, fancy gui etc.

I only changed XP 18 months ago, because I needed the better power management and wireless capabilities of XP.

Very tempted to move to Linux, but am reluctant at the moment, because I know the NT platform inside out and I do use windows at work and program ".net" and support the web servers that run 2k3. Also the drivers from my laser printer is flakey in Linux and there are lots of issues with my wireless card.
    But then I do have 2 websites running on LAMP (linux apache mysql and php) and enjoying that more that windows.

18. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Instead of investing the time/money in fixing the security holes that allow viruses and malware on the computers in the first place, MS create a product to mask over the cracks, its like buying a umbrella that leaks and then having to buy gaffa tape from the same company to fix the holes.

19. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Well, it doesn't pay to fix your own mistakes. ;)

20. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Choice 5 on the poll...move 1 or two rigs to Vista immediately..migrate the rest after a short period of time. Microsoft Action Pack baby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.