When Spoofing The Mac - Change On Router?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

When you spoof your MAC and you're also behind a router should you also have the router use the computers new spoofed MAC as well?

THANKS

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

router should pick whatever mac is used

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

My router doesn't pick the spoofed MAC I have to pick it...

So the question remains...

When we spoof the MAC on the box is it best to use that also on the router?

THANKS

P.S. Another router question, if you're using Comodo's secure DNS as example, should you also place those in the router, or let the router grab the DNS from the ISP? Or only place the new DNS in the network adapter settings?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Strange. Your spoofed mac is not registered on router? What is the purpose of spoofing mac, that should determine whether you need it added on the router. I guess not

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

When behind a router, and you run a mac changer on your computer prior to enabling the network, afterwhich the network is enabled, the router must select the changed mac address to be able to communicate with the computer afaik. This happens when I follow those steps when using Tor without any problems.

As I understand it, when the mac address is changed for your computer in such a scenario - it yields plasuble deniability as it appears that the router (despite no mac address change of its own) connects to another computer with the spoofed mac address.

The router has its own independent nic card which is not changed in this case.

Changing the router's mac address does not make much sense in this scenario, otherwise, mac changers would have probably evolved to consider the case if it made any difference. If it did, then it would be known as router mac spoofing which it is not, although I am certain that could be done, but what's the point? You would have to be connected to your router to change it which means the network connection is live, and changing its mac address (which you are attempting to make it looks like another hardware device with a different mac address) is the equivalent in software to installing another nic card in the router), which if the router is your own purchase (i.e. not from the ISP) would probably be ok, but maybe not from an ISP router.

Perhaps the proper way to do it would be to disconnect temporarily from the network (Internet connection) at the router while keeping the (Internal) connection open between the router and the computer - if that is possible at all, and then reenabiling/rebooting the router with the spoofed mac address in its configuration table. Whether that would work or not in the case of rebooting is the question regarding why wouldn't the router detect its true hardware mac address vs. a spoofed mac address on reboot? If just reenabling the live network connection at the router - I'm not sure what effect it would have on the router-computer existing connection which may then need to be disabled, then reenabled with the spoofed router mac address to the computer.

I think my ISP router does have a function to spoof the router's mac address (I am not sure whether it can be done randomly or makes you input a new mac address manually), but that would not yield plasible deniability if you do not also change your computer's mac address.

-- Tom

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I wasn't so concerned with spoofing the router but I guess on my router that's the point, so is there any benefit to that as well?

This what is says in the firmware;

Router MAC Address

Your computer's local address is its unique address on your network. This is also referred to as the computer's MAC (Media Access Control) address.

Usually, select Use Default MAC Address.

If your ISP requires MAC authentification, then select either Use Computer MAC address to disguise the Router's MAC address with the Computer's own MAC address or Use This MAC Address to manually type the MAC address for a different computer. The format for the MAC address is XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX. This value may be changed if the Use Computer MAC Address is selected once a value has already been set in the Use This MAC Address selection.

See what it says;

select either Use Computer MAC address to disguise the Router's MAC address with the Computer's own MAC address....

Well I'm not really trying to disguise the Router's MAC address but it looks like I can do this as well...

So we can spoof our PC this we all know as a benefit, but now, as I'm asking what about changing it in the router as well?

THANKS

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi DasFox,

Sometimes it is necessary to spoof a router's mac address as in the following example:

Reference: No Internet With New Router, Computer, or Adapter: MAC Spoofing.
    -- Tom

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I'm spoofing it in the router and it's not causing any connectivity issues with the ISP...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.