When is it time to go for a clean install?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cyborg, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Hi guys,

I have a slight problem. My Task Manager is functioning but the "box" that displays it (noob talking here lol) has shrunk to tiny proportions.

I have lost some options. I am left with Task and Status at the top only and at the bottom , End Task, Switch To, and New Task. My min/max has gone along with whatever else should be there. I have not got a clue as to what I have done but a guy in the Clan I am part of says that my PC is due for a complete Clean Install i.e. I have got to reformat my hard drives and start from fresh. I am a total novice and this seems really drastic because the thought of having to back data up and then ,"me" lol, try to load all the drivers etc is to put it midly frightening me to death.

Something is missing in Task Manager that is obvious but "When is it time to go for a clean install?" This other guy wipes his PC once a month which may be a good thing if you know what you are doing but seems drastic to me. Anyone got any ideas please?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Cyborg,

Can you resize it by dragging the lower righthand corner outward?
    If so, stretch it to the length you want it and then close TaskManager.
    The next time you open it, it should have "remembered" that size.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Hi Pieter,

Yes I can resize it but I cannot gain the lost selections as per my original post. It just resizes what I have but not what is missing which is max/min and the border that used to be there with the various options in.

Is this unusual or has anyone else had a similar problem with Task Manager?

4. Pieter_Arntz

Not very unusual. Double-click the grey outside border of the window. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Cyborg!

Follow your heart. You know best of all what is right and true for you! So, if your blood turns to ice at the thought of doing a clean install, then don't. If you are interested in doing it sometime in the future, then get all the info you can about it first.

For the record, I have so far never reinstalled my OS. A few files here and there, but not the whole thing. It's been a few years LOL. I have it working pretty much the way I like and I take very good care of it. :D

Best regards from Larry ;)

6. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Thanx Larry for that sound advice. I will leave well alone I think.

Hey Pieter you struck gold again for me. I double clicked and hurrah we have full task manager back up and running. PC's are loads of fun lol I just gotta stop panicking everytime something goes wrong.

7. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Cyborg,

Lots of unexplored fun when you are using Windows. :)
    You can learn new tricks every day.

As to reformatting, I guess I'm the same as Larry. My OS has to badly messed up, before I give up on it and reformat. Because that is how I feel about reformatting. As losing. :'(

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.