When I drag an icon on my desktop, it creates a duplicate copy of the dragged icon

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DesuMaiden, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I drag an icon on my desktop to another location. The dragged icon doesn't change location. Instead a duplicate copy of the dragged icon is created and dragged from the original location of the dragged icon. This duplicate copy is dragged to wherever I dragged it.

Item 1 (let's say "My Pictures" folder)--------> a copy of "Item 1" is created when Item 1 is dragged

Legend:

"--->" means "an icon dragged to another location on the desktop"

What's causing this strange problem? Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I don't want to unintentionally create a new copy of whatever item is being dragged on my desktop. That's because I don't want my desktop to have unnecessary duplicate copies of whatever item is being dragged. Plus, this problem makes it impossible for me to drag and change the location of any icons on my desktop since the duplicate icon is dragged rather than the original icon.

Extra information: I use Windows 7.

I hope my description of the problem makes sense.

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Hey CR. Not sure if I'm understanding you completely so bear with me. Is the "My Pictures" folder on the same drive as the Desktop? If you drag an item from one drive to another, Windows makes a copy of it; but if they're the same drive it should move it. If they're the same drive and it's still making a copy by default then I don't know. How long's it been doing it? If you have some restore points you might try a System Restore. Or instead of using the left mouse button to drag and drop, try using the right one. When you drop the item, choose Copy Here or Move Here. I got in the habit of doing it this way, it's easier for me than trying to remember what drives I'm using. Hope that helps.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Does it make a difference if you hold down the SHIFT key while you drag and drop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.