When can Americans buy VBA32?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quexx88, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I've seen in some VBA32 related threads that an english "gold" (home, I presume?) version is to be out soon for the American market. Any more details on this?

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Should be sometime soon, maybe Q3? I am sure Siarheika, will be able to shed some light on this soon enough.

3. Siarheika

Siarheika AV Expert

Well, I'll try to explain some things.

About "gold" release. What is planned are just some improvements for the next version (3.10.4) so that it can be used by Americans or any other people who use English as their primary language. Mostly these improvements just consist of english version of help file :) Surely, the improvements are not limited to internationalization only, new advanced heuristics, better executable packers support and some other features will be included in 3.10.4 release (and all the users, not only Americans will benefit from them). It is not our first release, we are developing antivirus software for quite a long time already.

This next version of VBA32 will be released quite soon. All the planned features are already there, we are just performing final testing. I'm not telling the exact release date as it's no use to push the release before it is properly tested and all the known bugs fixed, nobody would benefit from that. But a rough estimation is a week or two.

Also before the Americans can actually buy our antivirus we also need to do investigate the ways how we can sell our antivirus in US in a convenient way for both us and the users. Appears that not everything is so easy :( But we will try to solve it somewhat.

Anyway, until we can really sell the program, beta versions of our antivirus will be freely available for sure :) And we will try to provide support for anyone using them.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Has anyone else checked the Vba32 website lately?

I noticed today that there is a link to eMetrix under "Where to Buy" :)
    Never heard of eMetrix before,but they are part of Digital River.
    Looks like Vba32 licenses are available in the U.S.A now!

5. dan_maran

This is good news, as I have been using it for a few months now and really love it. I really hope this AV can get a good foothold here and in the EU, as support is awesome and the program is an extremely worthy AV solution.

6. bravesrule

bravesrule Registered Member

where can you download it to try it out

7. hollingwood

hollingwood Registered Member

Have just bought licence for my system for VBA32 for use in UK. Downloaded personal edition from their home site, and paid for licence through Emetrix. Receipt came from Emitrix by email by return, and confirmation email and key file link came 1 hour later from the home site.
    Using program now on one of my computers and it is proving very good.
    Its update check mechanism is particularly good. It can be set from anything from hourly upwards and runs very smoothly. Up to recently I had Arcavir running on this computer and I could only get the update working by setting up through Windows scheduler and this did not seem to work properly.
    Arcavir is now uninstalled and I am very pleased with VBA32.

Hollingwood

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But as far I can see, the versions available are still only the beta 3.10.3.

VBA32 seems to be very similar to Dr Web in a number of ways, particularly in it's "Smart-mode" setting of its RTM. But I would like to see the next official version and more testing at official sites before fairly comparing the two.

But at the present time, support, price and the "light" footprint are good plus points.

Any news on the next gold release; 3.10.4?

Likuidkewl, any recent testing of VBA32? Is it improving?

9. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

When you buy (install) the program and do your first update, it becomes 3.10.4

Regards,
    Jim

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

bravesrule,
    The link for the Personal version download isn't working.
    Click on the link at the bottom of Siarheika's post and there is link to e-mail support on the website.They may be able to set you up with a trial download.

11. dan_maran

You can download the trial at VBA32's website,
    http://www.anti-virus.by/en

3.10.4 - is in the works still, I know why but I will not state. As it is not my place. But I got a complete refresh of 3.10.4 the other day in an update, so it should be along very quickly.

Also if you actually purchase a license it will default to using 3.10.3 the last stable release, very good still. But if you want 3.10.4, set the option in the update window to update from http://www.anti-virus.by/beta/update/
    this must be done on the first update in order for it to work. But remember it is still in "Beta" and we all know what goes along with that.

BC- I have seen some very nice improvements, mainly with the scanning speed, and RTM, they have been greatly improves mainly due to the process only new files option, also with the "excessive" scanning in RTM, used to be "redundant" I have had zero F/p's. Very nicely trained Heuristic engine IMO. I have had to drop VBA32 from my testing due to the fact I have been submitting samples to them for analysis and this would greatly scew the results. ;)

12. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

FWIW, I did not specify any special subdirectory in the update window when first upgrading my paid version's 3.10.3. I drew my 3.10.4 from http://www.anti-virus.by/update/ (no /beta).

I 'm just lucky, I guess. :D

Regards,
    Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2005
  13. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Just can't beat those AV's from the former USSR :)

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I downloaded the personal version. It went quite some distance into the install process before asking me to enter a registration code, which I didn't have. So I gave up.

If a code is required to do a trial, why don't they say so from the get-go? :(

15. Blackcat

A Registration code is not required but a beta key file.

"To use the beta simply download and save the beta key file to the directory where you have VBA32 installed and run its internet update."

Beta key file here.

I carried out the above procedure to-day and it still works.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Evidently I am on the wrong track again. Duhh. The link says...
    Problem is, VBA32's install routine asks for the key BEFORE it will install the program. Therefore, I am unable to save the beta key file to the VBA32 directory because I can't install without a key code. Catch 22.

Moral of the story: Never underestimate the extent of Bellgamin's amazing inability to correctly follow simple instructions. :p

17. Blackcat

When it asks for the key file, just select where you have saved it to and the install program should pick it up.

As shown, just browse to the place on your computer where you have saved the key-file.

As stated previously, this procedure worked yesterday when I loaded VBA Personal on one of my machines here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.