Whats your opinion on Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Frog01, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

besides noscript,an adequate esolution for this is keyscrambler (which encrypts the "clicked" entries) in a new sandbox where it is run itself and NO inet acess option ticked.free as well.vista got a such utility too but i am not aware of the security level of it.
    Cheers

2. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Sandboxie is a truly brillant software. Since i'm on pc, there's four awesome programs i discovered: Tzuk's SandboxIE, Scott Lemmon's Promoxitron, Outpost Firewall Pro and EQSecure.

3. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

sandboxie doesn't stop it from getting installed, it only stops it from modifying the host system... if you think keyloggers need to modify the host system in order to get installed then you have an overly narrow idea of what counts as a keylogger...

you're assuming the keylogger is an exe - not all are...

you're also assuming that the configuration you're specifying is present... by default it is not, it takes additional know-how to setup the kind of execution and network access whitelists you're thinking of...

actually i really did mean pharming - specifically drive-by pharming... a little bit of javascript that connects to your router and changes the DNS settings on it...

actually, for keylogging neither xss nor pharming are needed... a little bit of javascript (ok, probably more than just a little bit) on a malicious or compromised page is all that's required... alternatively one might be able to inject a dll into the browser process, or get the user to willingly install some sort of plug-in... there are other ways too...

long story short, even if you do setup execution and network access whitelists in your sandbox, the browser will be on both and there are ways to exploit that fact to perform keylogging (as well as other mischief) - therefore the advice to complement sandboxie's use with software that actually tries to detect malware (whether it be by signature or by behaviour) is sound...

4. HungJuri

HungJuri Registered Member

uh, What browser are you using, IE4 or something?

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Wow, this has almost turned into a "Sanboxie love-in" :rolleyes: Anyways, I will admit that when I used it for a short time a while back, I was mighty impressed. I remember deliberately visiting a couple rogue sites I sought out just to see what would happen. Sandboxie flushed all the vermin down the drain when I was finished :) This is a product I will probably re-visit as an addition to the kid's computer. For myself, I like to think things through and make decisions on my own; thus my propensity for using HIPS and software firewalls. So my opinion on Sandboxie in the end: very nice security software :thumb:

6. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

They should make a 64-bit version of sandboxie.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Don't bother going there. Not going to happen. See their website.

8. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Sandboxie did not work for me; I executed malware within Sandboxie and even after terminating the sandbox, traces, such as shortcuts and taskbar items existed even after reboot.

Then, when uninstalling Sandboxie, it leftover numerous files and registry entries and refused to remove its context menu options -.-

9. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

That is weird. Anything inside the sandbox shouldn't be able to load anything into the OS, unless you specify it to.

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Were the contents of the sandbox deleted after termination as anything installed into the sandbox are carried across reboots.

Maybe Sandboxie couldn't uninstall cleanly as it was still in use controlling said malware installed within the sandbox?

Have installed/tested many rogue security apps and malware in general via Sandboxie here and haven't had any breaches at all.

11. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Same here. Have tested several of the meanest malware samples I could gather, and SBIE never, ever, failed.

12. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

I would LOVE to know the details because what you have described is very, very atypical.

13. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I must have missed that, thanks for the heads up. Makes sense now.

14. TechOutsider

We allowed to publicly post links to malware?

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

NO!!!

16. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

You can and SHOULD post it in Danger Zone in SandboxIE's forum.

There will be a lot of people happy to test your malware :)

17. TechOutsider

I tested it and it is dangerous; partially evaded Norton -.- required manual removal -.-

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

19. agagouga

agagouga Registered Member

Never regretted for the few bucks payed for registered Sandboxie!
    I set up a paranoid construction of many sandboxes/forced programs with different settings for each Browser/Mail/Multimedia/p2p/VoIP application. This little program is a must have for a security setup. In the old days you had to change the .ini file, now everything can be done with few mouse clicks. Also, Tzuk's support is of top-quality :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.